Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

At Least You're Honest

After dinner, Patrick and I walked down the street, enjoying the sounds of the city. I could tell people were recognizing him but they seemed to respect him enough to not saying anything. At some point, his suit jacket ended up on my shoulders. I almost wanted to text Kylee and tell her how sweet he was being, just to prove to Jonathan that he was wrong. We walked along until we got to North Avenue Beach.

“Come on.” Patrick said, a grin on his face as he held his hand out for me.

I followed him carefully, slipping off my heels and holding them in one hand while I held his hand in the other. He stopped at one spot and took off his shoes and rolled up his pants to his knees then pulled me along with him to the shoreline, where the water was creeping up to our toes. I smiled over at him as he kicked at the sand and watched the holes fill up with water again.

“So this is how you win the ladies, huh...” I said, looking up at the stars. There was a line of city lights and then black sky with faint stars. Probably one of the few places in the city to see stars anymore.

“I've never brought a girl down here...” He said after a moment of complete silence between us. He looked over at me, his big blue eyes wide and full of emotion. It was so different than what I had heard about him. The image of a playboy, surrounded by women and bottles of expensive booze, came to mind. That wasn't Patrick Kane. The man standing next to me, his shoulders hunched forward slightly, hands in his pockets and watching the waves on the beach, that was him.

“Thank you, Patrick.” I said softly, moving over to him and resting my head on his shoulder. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into him, pulling me around front and wrapping his other arm around my waist and just holding me against his chest. He didn't even ask why I was thanking him. I think he knew. I was thanking him for making me feel normal and not wounded. For treating me like a regular person and not some battle scarred veteran.

“I'm glad you said yes.” he said, laughing a little bit, making his shoulders shake. I had turned this poor guy down almost three times before I finally agreed to go out with him. I was glad I said yes too.

“We should probably head back soon, right?” I said, more because he had a game tomorrow.

“Not yet...one more thing I have to do.” he said, shifting his weight and moving his arms down a little. I looked up at him and smiled at him as he leaned down slowly, carefully. Then he kissed me and I thought my mind would melt but it was perfect. No anxiety, no freak outs, just totally calm.

We stayed on the beach for another two hours, laying in the sand and making out like teenagers. I would have never thought that I would be dating again, let alone this amazing man who was looking down at me with the most adorable smile. He finally looked at his watch and sighed, dropping his head and resting it on my shoulder, groaning loudly.

“I really want you to come home with me....but I can't promise that I'll be a good boy.” he said, lifting his head and looking me in the eyes.

“At least you're honest.” I said, laughing as he helped me to my feet and carried me in his arms back up the beach.

“Someday. Just not yet...I....” he paused for a second while he put me down on my feet and started heading back up the street to his car. “I want....to take this slow. I want to....do this the right way.” he said, taking my hand in his and lacing our fingers together.

“I can do that.....slow...” I replied, leaning into him as we came to the car and he opened the door for me, smiling sheepishly and getting in the driver's side. We didn't talk during the drive to my apartment. I held his hand and he would occasionally look over and smile. He pulled up front and walked me right up to my door, giving himself extra gentlemen points for the night.

“I'll see you at the game tomorrow, right?” he asked, hands in his pockets.

“Of course you will. I'll be right on the bench. Don't hurt yourself, okay?” I teased, making him laugh a little. He held my cheek and kissed me again, smiling this time. He turned to walk away and groaned, turning back and kissing me again, pushing my back to the door before he pulled away again.

“Sorry...sorry....ARGH!” he said, groaning loudly, making me giggle as he walked away. I watched him walk away, laughing to myself as I unlocked my door.

“Goodnight Patrick.” I said. He waved back at me and headed down the stairs, going home. I went in my apartment and sighed, smiling like an idiot as I checked my phone, seeing multiple missed messages from my sister. Oh great. I'm never hearing the end of this...
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is incredibly late
Like I've said, I work all damn day.
Anyway, sowwy :/