Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Go Win That Cup

Kylee was pacing, it was almost going to drive me crazy. The team had made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Ky was, of course, dressed to the nines. Not her usual jersey and jeans but she was all dressed up in a nice shirt and heels. I was stuck in my work clothes. She mumbled something about going to wish Jon good luck before leaving the trainer’s room. I sighed and busied myself with tidying up the room. I heard the door again and assumed she had come back but it wasn’t the sound of her heels. I looked over my shoulder and saw Patrick, making me smile a little. He looked nervous.

“Hey…” I said softly, walking over. He was all ready to go out to the ice. Skates on and his helmet hanging on the top of his stick. He put his gloves on one of the tables and leaned his stick there too.

“I’m actually…kind of scared. We’ve been here before; I don’t want to disappoint everyone.” He said, sighing a little. I smiled again and walked closer, placing my hands on his face.

“Baby, we’re all rooting for you. Even Papa, he’s watching you right now, I’m sure of it.” I said, knowing he was thinking of his grandpa, whom he had lost just before he left for Sochi earlier that year.

Patrick didn’t say anything, just leaned his forehead against mine, closing his eyes. I gently played with his hair for a moment, staying silent. He moved his hand suddenly to my collar bone, where my team jacket was open. He fingered the delicate chain on my neck and pulled on it, the diamond key he had given me appearing. He smiled then, exhaling softly and kissing me. I didn’t know what was going on in his head but anything I could do to help him, I would.

“I love you…” He said softly, just barely an inch from my lips, his eyes looking into mine finally. He had said it before, months ago and I wasn’t ready. I had been scared still and it had slipped right out for him. He hadn’t said it since that day but he had shown his love for me enough without needing to say a word. It still made my heart thump and swell when he did say it.

“I love you too.” I said, swallowing the small lump in my throat. He held my face in his hands as he kissed me with every bit of emotion he could muster. He was pushing me against the table, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist and shoulders. I almost didn’t hear the door opening again. Then there was a loud cough, making Patrick pull away from me slowly, sighing a little. He made a face, making me giggle before he turned towards the door. Jon and Ky were waiting, Ky looking ready to burst. Jon was motioning for Patrick to hurry up, knowing they had to be out very soon. I had to be on the bench as well but I had a little more time.

Patrick squeezed my hand in his, tucking my necklace back into my jacket and smiling at me as he went to follow Jon out the door. He paused by the doorway, just as Ky was joining me by my side. He sent his usual cocky smile my way, almost like he was saying, ‘I knew you loved me’. “Love you.” He said again, obviously amused by the look on Ky’s face. She looked like she was going to explode from happiness.

“Love you too, babe. Go win that cup.” I replied, winking at him as he grinned and left with Jon. I sucked in a deep breath and turned to Ky, who was almost shaking from containing herself. “I think I had better get to work. Wouldn’t want your fiancée to lose any teeth on the last night!” I tried to leave but she grabbed me and pulled me into an incredibly tight hug. I hugged her back and for a moment, I felt sad. I still hadn’t told her about possible deployment and the longer I delayed it, the worse it would be. I was going to tell her, for sure…after playoffs.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)