Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

I Told You So

Watching Patrick score the winning goal was incredible to witness, especially at ice level. I would have almost started crying, if it weren’t for the coaching staff cheering right beside me. I shared hugs with them all, even Coach Q, who squeezed the life out of me and clasped his hands on my shoulders as the boys scrambled onto the ice to celebrate.

“That man of yours just brought the cup home!” He cheered, smiling wildly at me before heading out onto the ice himself. I laughed and shook my head, staying on the bench. I would let the boys celebrate for amongst each other. I was dragged around for a bit before Patrick found me, scooping me up and carrying me away for a moment. He set me down carefully, blocking out the rest of the crowd with his body, although, he couldn't block out the fans of the Madhouse. They were banging on the glass and screaming, as expected. I smiled up at Patrick, so incredibly proud of him.

“I knew you could do it.” I said, smiling and having just a slight bit of ‘I told you so’ attitude in there. Patrick laughed, smiling back at me and wrapping his arms around me as best as he could with those massive pads.

“I love you.” He said, laughing again when the crowd starting singing Chelsea Dagger. He shook his head a little bit and leaned down, kissing me with all the energy he had left. Even if he were falling over in exhaustion, he would always make me weak in knees with those kisses of his.

“I love you too, Pat. Now come on, we should go celebrate with your teammates.” I said, laughing a little when he made a face but started skating towards them, picking me up since it was faster with him on skates. He dumped me off with Ky again and went to go talk to Coach Q.

“Your wedding is next week!” I said to her, noticing Jon was talking to some media, his back to us. I couldn’t resist making a little face into the cameras and laughing as the cameramen noticed, making them laugh as well.

“I know! I have a feeling the cup will be making an appearance.” Ky said, seeing the coaching staff handling it now.

“Oh, it definitely will become a center piece. But it won’t outshine you.” I said, smiling and putting an arm around her shoulders. “Ky, I’m really happy I’m here with you. This past year has just been…insane and you’ve stuck by me through all of it. You’re the best sister I could ask for.” Kylee smiled at me and we hugged for the millionth time that night, both of us almost slipping on the ice and then laughing like mad over it. Patrick came back over, stealing me away but not before kissing Ky on the cheek and grinning like an idiot as he skated away with me. He stopped right in front of the media, making me stand next to him for his interviews. I stayed silent, just smiling pretty and letting him talk. One reporter turned to me, his microphone now at my mouth.

“Are you happy that the playoff mullet and beard are going to be gone?” The man asked, making me laugh and Patrick scowl a little bit.

“I can’t wait for them to be gone. I respect the traditions but damn, I can’t wait.” I said, making them laugh a little.

“She’s been through everything with me this past year, I couldn’t ask for a more amazing woman in my life.” Patrick said to the media, smiling at me. I blushed and looked down at the ice, making him laugh a little and kiss the side of my head. “I love her and I honestly wouldn’t be here without her.” He said, making me turn more red. Then I heard the fans starting to roar again and the media people gasp. I turned to my right and he was down on one knee, a tiny blue box in his hand.

“Kathryn Clarkeson, will you marry me?” He asked, pulling out a beautiful diamond ring. I couldn’t breathe for a moment, I almost felt like I was about to panic. I know Patrick could see it in my eyes for a split second but I pushed it far down, as hard as I could and slowly took a deep breath. What seemed like a long time was only mere seconds before I could muster a squeaky ‘yes’ and nodded my head, making the crowd erupt again as he slid the ring on my finger and picked me up.

That was the third time that night that I had seen him smile like that. I heard camera shutters going off as he carefully put me down, then held my face in his hands and kissed me, hamming it up a little for the media. I could only smile because I don’t think I had ever been so happy in my entire life and nothing could ruin this moment…except for that horrible thing looming on the horizon.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D
YAY

Katie