Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

The Great Gig Planner, Billie Joe

We. Were so happy for the following three days. Growing closer, I learned as much as I could about him to take to the grave. He however, couldn't learn as much about me.
Also, I think Ollie is starting to notice our joined at thr hip, closeness. But she doesn't seem effected by it at all. Just really freaking happy when she comes home from work every night to see Billie. Happy. I'm guessing that it's probably an rare occurrence for him to be happy. We all sit together and watch princess movies just about every night under Tré's constant request. Ironically, we watched the Little Mermaid. Because given she loses her voice, Billie laughed at me a lot last night. And got smacked even more. 
We sat in the sun in our personal meadow under the willow by the beach. Billie was telling me how much it had changed since he was ten. Him and his dad would come down here on walks a lot back then. And before all the grass, it was an dirt lot, and he admitted embarrassedly he'd play with toy cars down here. But answered in honesty when I asked him if he was happy now. 
The willow above drifted in the air lightly. Little leaves littered the knotted grass when an breeze raided the branches. The quiet bubbling sound of thr water lapping loudly down the stream behind us. I was seriously enjoying having an voice again. It's one step into recovery.
Speaking of which, my wrists healed- not without scars though. I had been with the Armstrong's an whole week today. Maybe a few days longer because I've lost count in my forgetting condition. I try, to hold onto what's left of my mind. 
I closed my eyes and drifted out of awareness, Billie was either out cold or pretending to be. Rested his head against the trunk with his arms behind his head, smiling appreciatively at the sunshine, is it even possible to smile in your sleep? Anyways, I have recovered an small amount of memories from my past, or so I think I have, I don't know, I feel really close to something, and as soon as I try to focus on it, it disappears in an puff of black smoke.
I really needed nothing more than to get my mind of all this serious, past life business. But there was no where I wanted to go in California.
“So what do you think?” Billie asked breaking the silence, squinting up at the branches.
“'bout what?” I asked, smiling up at him.
He dropped his hands from behind his head and dropped then in his lap.
“This new life.” he smiled, gesturing around thr meadow.
I smiled and looked around, plucking an wild pink orchid beside me and holding it up to my nose to smell it appreciatively. “I love it. And I hope it's better than my old life, since I can't see it.”
He snatched the orchid from my stunned hands suddenly. 
“What the he...” I began looking at him in shock as he held up the flower. Braiding an short lock of black hair, tucking it behind my ear. Carefully twining the stem of the flower into the plaits.
I reached up to brush the flower. He caught my hand and held it. Looking down at it romantically, he asked me to close my eyes. So I did.
“MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO! MONKEY PEE ALL OVER YOU!” he shouted suddenly, holding my wrist tightly while scrubbing an stinky dandelion bloom into my palm. Staining it to the color of the flower.
“Gah.” I snorted in disgust. Smearing my hand down the leg of his blue holly jeans, leaving an identical stain in an long stripe.
I laughed at him as he scowled in surprise down at the stain “You monkey-peed me.” he stated the obvious flatly.
I grinned even wider. Laying back in the pillowish grass. There's nothing he could do about it now but suck it up and stop sulking about it.
“Yeah, well there's nothing left to do but tell you to stop sulking about it. We'd better get back.”
He glared at me coldly for that snide remark.
I raised my eyebrows innocently.
His eyes narrowed as he jumped to his feet. We walked back down the trail toward his house in unison.
That night, Ollie was making sandwiches in an pan on the stove. Mike and Tré were playing checkers on the kitchen table. Still moping about because I, according to Tré 'the little bird has found her voice' I leaned in one of the matching wooden chairs. When the phone rang, Billie sprinted off to answer it in the living room.
Well whoever it was, he was talking animatedly to. When he'd pace back and forth in front of the kitchen doorway, I could see him nod enthusiastically.
When he finally returned, he had the phone cord stretched as far as it would go to wrap around the kitchen doorway. Billie held the phone to his ear and leaned there casually. 
“Yep, That'd be great. Thanks.” he finally said and hung up.
Ok, here is the thing. I. Have never ever seen an smile this huge on this guys face. Not when I spoke, not when I got ran over by an soaking wet Checker. Not ever. Or even when he was enthusing over that Ebony Les Paul a few days ago.
He looked smug as he plopped down in the kitchen chair again. “I've got an date.” he finally said grinning with his eyebrows raised to no one certain.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's eyes flayed to him when he said it.
He raised his hands innocently at our stares “God, not that kind of date. I mean I booked Sweet Children an gig.” he mumbled to pull the attention away from himself.
“Where?” Mike asked poking his red checker up to the upper left black square.
Billie sighed heavily “Now.” he began looking over at his band-members. “I'm not really proud of the location either, but it will get us out there. Somewhat.”
“Where?” Mike repeated, warily now.
Billie took an deep breath “The little girl who lives on my corner, Allison. She wants music, and everything is booked up so yay! Sweet Children save the day.” Billie said with false enthusiasm.
“But she is like six.” Mike objected in disbelief.
Billie shook his head “Actually this is her tenth birthday.” He said fondly.
Mike shook his head “What difference does it make? We aren't going to dress up like multi colored dinosaurs to amuse her and sing Barney. We write cussy dirty songs. Not this princess crap!”
Billie raised his chin to finish resting his case “Allison is amazing at taking people for who they are. No matter the age. It's really one of her extra ordinary talents.” he mumbled around a bite of his sandwich. In sure already that this won't be the last I'll hear about this gig.
And I was right because Mike opened his mouth to retort
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok brace yourselves for the next chapter. I had lot of fun writing it and am still laughing about it. Thank you all who read this one. Means the world xoxo