Status: Its new, so im just seeing how well it does :3

100 Ways to Say Goodbye

Edhe e drejtë

~Iris~

“What about family? You haven’t said much about ‘em?” Oliver asks his accent slurring from the drugs, the sheets were tucked in all the way to his neck. He’s been bed ridden since they discovered internal bleeding a few days ago. I shrug, I sat cross legged by his legs. “I don’t like talking about them, that’s all.” He frowns, and looks down at the additional breathing tubs shoved up his nose. “Are they terrible parents?” he questions.

I shake my head, no of course there not terrible, im just a terrible child that’s all. “No, they’ve been good to me, something I take for granted sometimes. There not terrible, they were just cursed with an only child that is me.” I sigh, normal children hate favouritism, yet I’d rather have a second sibling that my parents spoiled more than me.

“Don’t say that, I bet they think your lovely, I think you are.” I blush, I’d forgot what it was like to communicate after so many months of the exile I put myself in. He was the first person I really let in, to get too close is to disappoint, to love is to disappoint. But, there was something he had in his eyes, the tattoos on his skin, how his long hair hugged his face perfectly. I couldn’t help myself.

“No.” I simply state, he raised an eyebrow, “no?” I nod fiddling with his bed sheets. “I mean, they love me but im a grenade. I never let anyone in because what if that persons the one to pull the pin?” I ask, I didn’t study philosophe for three year for nothing.

He looked pained but not sympathizing for me. “I think we’re more alike than we let on.” He smiles weakly I return the smile. While it may be true it’s not right. “Why’d you let me in then? What if im the one that pulls the pin?” he asks, his body temperatures gone up, I could tell by the way the tips of his hair stuck to his face. “Honest?” I ask and he nods.

“Because your different.” I point out, for years I was stuck around the same personalities but different looking people. That’s the down side, for rich people they only hang around rich people. And rich people are all the same. I haven’t mentioned my wealthy background to Oliver just in case. Just in case once he finds out he’ll suck up.

“Different? You haven’t met that much decent people then.” He grins, his smile made me flush and heart stutter. “Exactly.” I smile faintly. My hair was sticking out of its bun something shocking, I hadn’t showered in a few days. I would present myself better for Oliver, but were in a hospital its as classy as its going to get.

“Everyone I meet looks like they have a carrot shoved up their ass. They’re groomed from head to toe, I wouldn’t be surprised if their assholes where bleached.” I vent picking at the sheets more ferociously. He laughs lightly trying not to rupture any internal wounds. “Sounds like a family of this kid I used to go to school with. We didn’t like each other, his parents scowled at anything that wasn’t over 200,000 quid. He was my worst nightmare, I hated him, still do, The rich can all die for all I care, they’re all the same, like you said, bleached assholes, groomed from head to toe, and the fucking awful shit they put on their pets. The rich are one of the reasons the worlds gone to shit.”

“Yeah I guess.” I say quietly. I’ve always been true to myself, I can’t lie about me but if he feels that grimly about rich people I’ve already lost. “Its one of the reasons why I came here, I told my parents I was on holidays but I want to live here. The view gets boring staring at the beach on Saturday mornings, it doesn’t change.” I look out the window of our room. It was grim and dull, but it was a different view of life.

“I came here to change the way I viewed life, I wanted to view it as someone who has to pay rent every month and walk to work in the rain, someone who makes their own lunch and cleans there own apartment. Who shares a room in a hospital with someone instead of a private room.” I say looking down. I didn’t want to look at him, he knew what I was talking about. I feel that if your not true to yourself your no better than any thief, murderer, rapist.

“I-I didn’t know.” He speaks up, I nod, “of course you didn’t, what rich person wants to share a room with a stranger. They’d rather drown themselves in the own company of their wealth. You know, I didn’t want to tell you because people are constantly lying to me, getting money out of me, why? Because I can’t say no, I need to learn to say no to people who want money.” I shuffle off his bed.

“I hope you don’t think ill of me after this Oliver, I really enjoyed your company.” I smiled faintly turning to sit on my bed. “You know Iris, you’re the most real person I’ve ever met.” I hear him murmur. I smile. “You call me Oliver instead of Oli, you make sure I get to the bathroom safely, you’ve fed me when our food comes, you’re the most selfless person I’ve met and you’re ashamed of what I think.” He says I look over at him. His head was turned and looking at me.

I blush, “You call me Iris, even my parents don’t call my Iris.” I point out, as if changing the subject, but everything he said I took in for account. He wasn’t like the others, he wasn’t in it for my money, he was in it for me. “When I first saw you, I couldn’t believe I was still alive, I literally thought I was in heaven with a goddess and when you said your name, I thought what a perfect name for you. If my friends could hear me right now they’d beat me to a pulp. I think it’s the drugs making me sappy but I mean it.” I laugh, my eyes were swelling up, it was the first time in what was like forever that anyone had truly spoken to me like that.

My parents loved me yes but showered me in gifts, in the nineteen years I’ve lived, no one had ever made my heart warm. The best love I received were maid after maid taking care of me. “You’re the first girl in years to come up to me and not want to spit on my face. You’re the first girl I’ve seen that actually looks good with a full sleeve of tattoos, and you’re definitely the first girl I’ve met to speak Elvish from lord of the rings. You’re the first girl I’ve known who knows more about dinosaurs than me and you’re the first girl to understand me not in anyway my friends could.” He looks at me not blinking.

“No rich person would be like you, no rich person would even look at me. For the first time in my life I don’t care if your rich, I care that you’ve treated me like an equal, like I’m higher than you, like I come before you. “

A tear slips from eyes, I don’t cry no, but no one’s spoken to me like that, so softly and delicately. I never believed in love, but all I had to do was up and move my stuff halfway across the world. “And as soon as I’m able to leave this hospital, and as soon as your able to leave, I don’t want you to ever feel alone.”

It seemed weird, that such inspirational words came from a guy like him, he talked so roughly, like how the outback people would speak in Australia. “Oliver, I really appreciate it.” I smile at him, he grins making my smile grow wider. “I hope you do, I hope my mates get off there asses and meet you, you’d like them.” He grins, you could tell he loved his friends, a feeling I sadly couldn’t feel.

I stand up as our room door opens, my nurse walks in. “Ms Jane.” She bows slightly, I groan inwardly. As if my money wasn’t haunting enough, my parents family name had to be a burden. I was treated like royalty and I hated it. Oliver looked at me confused. “Yes nurse.” I softly sigh. “Your mother wants to speak with you, she’s rung reception, do you want me to put her through to the room phone?” she asks and I nod.

“Yes, please never do that again.” I say turning to the phone. “What Ms Jane?” The nurse questions, I shut my eyes, “Bow, im not a princess, im not of royal importance, im not a queen. Not here.” I mutter turning my head slightly so I look at her. She trembles and nods scurrying out. “What was that?” Oliver asks, I groan, “I’ll..i’ll explain after I talk with mum.” I sigh looking at him sadly.

“What mum.” I say as I bring the phone to my ear. “Oh honey, I was wondering how you were?” she asked, mum wondering how I was, bullshit. “Cut to the chase mum, what are you calling for? If you want me to come home I can’t.” I say looking over at Oliver.

“Yes and why’s that?” she asks, she didn’t even bother making an excuse. I look at Oliver whose eyes are fixated on mine. I stay true to myself, but if I make a fuss in front of my parents they’d send out someone for me immediately. I have to Lie.

I gulp looking down, I look down often when im guilty. “I’ve married.” I say, my lip trembles. “Married?! Why didn’t you say so? Oh your father must hear this immediately, Why didn’t you tell us sooner?” she asked happily. “Whats his name, whats his job?” she asks eagerly. I sigh shutting my eyes.

“I-I didn’t tell you because I wanted a small wedding.. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t- I didn’t want to be showered in gifts.” I tremble hugging my stomach with my free arm. I was anxious, lying triggered my anxiety. “Oh honey, once your out of hospital I’ll send sigfreid with his jet to fly the two of you here, we must meet him at once!” she cheered.

My face scrunched up, “Mum.. please its not necessary-“
“Yes! Yes it is! Oh darling this.. this is big! I never thought you’d marry, im so proud. I was beginning to get desperate and arrange a marriage.” She started to blurt.

“Oh and dear whats his name, you two need a 6 metre banner with your names in huge golden letters a welcome home present if you will.” I blank out and blurt , “Oliver, mum, his name is Oliver.” I cringe as I glance at Oliver who’s confused as ever.