Life of Luxury

Chapter Thirty

“Hello?!” I heard the voice echo throughout the halls of my home. I walked out of my bedroom at the sound of the familiar voice, “Hales?!”

“Hey!” I smiled when I saw Tyler walking into the condo; he was still in his suit.

“There she is!” he chuckled and the pulled me in for a hug, “Where you hiding?”

“More like cleaning,” I said and he chuckled and kissed my head, I giggled when I heard Tyler’s stomach growl and looked up towards him, “Hungry?”

“Starving,” he said and I smirked and pulled him towards the kitchen, “Wait!” he said and I looked at him confused, “Need this,” Tyler said and then pulled me back towards him, cupped the side of my face and then pressed his lips against mine. I giggled against his lips and wrapped my arm around his neck, my other hand was currently still in his hand. He pulled back and smirked towards me, “Ok, now food.”

“You’re a moron,” I giggled and then pulled him towards the kitchen and he plopped down on one of the stools while I walked towards the fridge to see what I could make him, “What are you hungry for?”

“Anything,” he said and I looked back towards him to see him started to take off his jacket and then working on his tie.

“All right,” I said and then pulled out some lunchmeat, going to make him a sandwich, “Sorry about your losses.”

“It’s all right,” he said and I grabbed everything I needed and walked towards the counter, looking at him to see him on his phone, he looked confused.

“What’s up?” I asked and Tyler looked up at me.

“Oh, uh, nothing, Benn was just telling me that we had a morning skate tomorrow, but I thought I heard Coach say that we didn’t,” he said and then shook his head and started to type away, “I’m confused.”

I giggled and started to make the sandwich for Tyler. I heard footsteps in the hallway and turned my head to see Heather appearing, I looked towards Tyler and saw him still looking at his phone. I sighed and looked back towards Heather, “You get any calls yet?” I asked her, hoping she would have heard something about a job, but she just shook her head.

“What?” Tyler asked as he looked at me and then over towards my sister, “Oh, uh, hey,” he said and then looked at me.

“Tyler, this is my baby sister, Heather,” I looked at Heather, “This is Tyler.”

“So you’re the famous boyfriend,” she said and I rolled my eyes, she didn’t know who he was, so she didn’t understand how true her comment was.

“Yeah,” Tyler said and then looked towards her, watching her take a seat next to him. I could already tell that he didn’t like her, well, he was at least suspicious of her, she was my family after all, and he didn’t like anyone from my family so far, “So what exactly are you plannin’ with Haley?”

“Ty-“

“Just askin’ a question,” he said and looked towards Heather, “I’ve met your parents, had a confrontation with your Aunt- How are you no different than them?”

“I can’t answer that,” she said and I looked at her, wondering what she meant, “Yeah I’m part of this crazy family, sure I treated Haley like shit when we were younger, but I’m not in this for anything other than her help.”

“We’ll see,” he said and looked back towards me just in time for me to place a sandwich in front of him and wishing he would just shut up.

“What time’s the game tomorrow?” I asked and he looked at me.

“Normal time, Benn clarified that there’s no morning skate, so I don’t need to be at the rink until five,” he said and I smirked.

“Rink?” Heather asked, “Where do you work?”

Tyler looked at her surprised and then looked towards me confused, “You didn’t tell her?”

“No, it took my forever just to get your first name out of her,” Heather said and I rolled my eyes.

Tyler smirked and shook his head, “Always so secretive.”

“Shut up! I’m cautious, there’s a deference!” I growled and Tyler chuckled.

“Whatever you say, babe,” he said and Heather laughed.

“So what’s so secretive about your job?” Heather asked and I rolled my eyes and started to put everything back into the fridge, “You a spy or something?”

“No, I’m a hockey player,” he said and I sighed, leaning against the fridge, my back to the two.

“That’s nice, what team?” she asked, not sounding interested at all.

I turned around and looked at the two, “For the Dallas Stars,” I said and Heather looked at me, “That’s why he wasn’t hear, he was traveling for his games.”

“Wait- A professional team?!” she asked and I rolled my eyes and looked towards Tyler.

“She’s not too bright when it comes to sports,” I said and he chuckled and started to eat his sandwich, “Why don’t you go back and work on some more applications for a job-“

“Shush, shush, shush, you have a boyfriend that famous, Haley- Famous!!!” she said and I sighed.

“He’s not that famous-“

“Hey,” Tyler whined and I giggled.

“Eat your food,” I said and he smirked and rolled his eyes, “Heather, keep what you’re learning today to yourself- Don’t be texting or chatting with your friends and our family about this- I don’t want or need them knowing this.”

“Fine,” she said and then sighed.

“And did are you ready to tell Mom and Dad tomorrow?” I asked and she groaned, “Don’t, you’ve put it off three days, tomorrow is the day!”

“Fine,” she growled and I looked towards Tyler and sighed.

“You want me to come tomorrow?” Tyler asked and I looked at him and shook my head, “What if you get slapped again-“

“Who slapped you?!” Heather asked.

“Aunt Rosa,” I answered and she just looked at me and I looked at Tyler, “And she won’t be there.”

“What if she is?” Tyler asked.

“And I’ll do exactly what I told her I would do,” I said and Tyler looked like he was trying to remember everything word for word, “I told her that if she ever touched me again, I would punch her so hard that her whiny spoil kids would feel it.”

“That’s right, you did,” Tyler chuckled and Heather just looked at me.

“You’ve changed,” she just said and Tyler and I looked at her.

“Of course I changed,” I snapped, “I had to- I had to grow a backbone after everything I went through in that household.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” she said and I glared at her.

“You were the spoiled little princess, of course you’re going to say it wasn’t that bad,” I said and she looked at me, “How many jobs have you had in your life time?” she just blinked at me, I knew I had her, she was eighteen years old and didn’t have a job, wasn’t going to college anymore, didn’t even last a semester, and Mom and Dad were still paying for everything, “Did you know that I had my first job when I was fifteen- By your age I already had three-“

“Yeah, yeah, I get it- You’re a hard ass worker-“

“NO!” I barked and she jumped a little, “I did it because I knew that if I wanted something, I would have to work my ass off to get it myself. I wasn’t as privileged as you, Heather.”

“Please, you would go out with your friends after work and be out all night,” she stated and I growled.

“That what Mom and Dad told you?” I asked and she nodded her head, “Surprise, surprise, they fuckin’ lied to you. I was working,” I said and she looked at me, “Right after school I would head to the coffee shop for six hours, three to nine,” I said and she just blinked, “Then after that job, I would go to the grocery store job and work as an overnight stalker, working from ten to six in the morning,” I growled, “After that, I would come home, sleep for about an hour, take a shower and get to school, so I could do it all over again- And then on the weekend- Saturday, I would work until six in the morning from the day before, come home and sleep until eleven, then be at work for my shift at the coffee shop until five and then from six to ten work at the clothing store. I didn’t have a single day off, Heather, I put all that money away-“

“Yeah, and I found out what happened to the money- I’m sorry, I didn’t know-“

“No, you didn’t, but stop trying to think that you’re all high and mighty because Mommy and Daddy still fuckin’ take care of you and you haven’t worked a single day in your life,” I growled and looked towards Tyler to see that he was just sitting there eating his sandwich, probably wishing that he wasn’t sitting there in front of the awkward family feud.