I Do

Grade 3

“You ready babe? It’s one of our last games of the season.” Patrick ask me and I nod. He was so excited for the playoffs and he was ready for the next three games to be over with so he could just get closer to that Cup.
“I know honey.” I tell him with a smile and he swoops in for a quick kiss. The doorbell goes off, Bauer barks and I roll my eyes. Patrick opens the door and Dayna comes in with her four month pregnant belly. She still looks pretty small. I’m only about two months pregnant so you can only tell if I’m naked and even then it’s just a tiny bump that looks like I ate to much.
“Hey doll!” She calls and gives me a hug.
“I’ll see you ladies at the game. Drive safe.” He tells us, hugging Dayna and then me, giving me a kiss. “Love you.” He whispers.
“Love you more. Get me and baby a goal!” I tell him and winks before heading out the door.
“I’m so thankfull for this warmer weather.” She says and I laugh.
“Dayna is 42 degrees!”
“Better than 2!” And we both laugh as we head out. “So we are still meeting the girls at Olive Garden.” She says and I nod.
“Sounds good to me.” I say and she drives that way. We meet the girls, Lacy, Abby, and Kelly at a table for five.
“Look at the Mammas to be!” Abby says as we all exchange hugs.
“Nice to see you too.” Dayna jokes and we take our seats and order.
“Ok so who is ready for the season to be over?” I ask and we all raise our hands.
“We say that now,” Kelly starts, “But just wait till halfway through the off season where all they do is train and talk about the next season.” We laugh.
“So how are you and Jonathan?” Abby ask Lacy and she blushes.
“We are doing really well. We spend a lot of time together but I know that the Finals have him kind of nervous. But I mean it’s great!” Lacy and Jonathan became official about a three weeks ago and honestly it only made sense.
“So Dayna when do you find out the gender?” Lacy ask.
“Next week! I’m so excited! I really want a girl.” She gushes and we all laugh.
After eating we all head to the arena and get up into the box just before the game starts. The puck drops and the boys start fighting for it.
“Oh my gosh when are you due?” A brunette ask me and I look at her confused.
“I’m sorry who are you?” I ask and she steps back with an apologetic look.
“I’m Andrew Shaw’s new girlfriend. We’ve only been together for a little while so I haven’t really met everyone. I’m Sara.”
“Well it’s nice to meet you Sara. I’m due in November.”
“Oh you guys must be so excited.”
“Oh they are!” Lacy says, “The two of them are so baby sick it’s disgusting.” She says and we both laugh.
“Sara this is my best friend and Jonathan’s girlfriend, Lacy. Lace this is Andrew’s girlfriend Sara.”
“Hey Sara!” They shake hands. “You’re welcome to sit with us. I wouldn’t recommend hanging with that crowed.” She says and nods towards the Puck sluts.
Sara laughs, “Yeah, I don’t think that’s the crowed I want.”
We turn back to the game just in time. Jonathan gets a goal. We all stand up and cheer loudly.
“That a boy!” Lacy cheers and I smile at her. The game continues and we all watch closely. The boys were already in the playoffs but it was still important to win this game.
I’m watching Patrick closely as he skates with the puck. “Go Patrick! Go!” I yell but my heart stops in a single second. “NO!” I yell as Patrick’s body gets slammed into the boards but something is wrong. He doesn’t move. “Get up. Get up.” I whisper but he doesn’t move and my heart starts racing. “GET UP!” I yell and Lacy pulls me into her arms.
The coaches and doctor rush onto the ice and they check him out. The wave to the box and then the EMT’s rush out with a stretcher.
“No. No!” I cry. I push out of the arms of my friends and rush out of the box. Kelly and Lacy run after me, not wanting me to be alone. The guards let us pass and I right through the second set of guards get to the locker room.
“They are taking him to Methodist.” One of the coaches says and Lacy and Kelly take my hand.
“I’ll drive.” Kelly says.
The drive is a silent one and I feel completely numb. We get there and I rush to the desk.
“I’m looking for Patrick Kane. I’m his wife!” I say and pull out my id. She nods.
“Right this way Mrs. Kane.” She says and leads the three of us to a waiting room. “I’ll let the doctor know you are here.” She says and then leaves us. I let out a loud sigh and lean forward so my elbows are on my knees and my face is in my hands.
“He is going to be fine.”
“Bull shit!” I yell. “He is a god damn hockey player! They only get carried off if it’s bad!” I yell and start sobbing. They both hug me.
My phone goes off and I see its Donna. I wipe my tears and answer the phone.
“Honey how is he?” She ask and I can hear the worry in her voice.
“I don’t know anything yet. I’m in the waiting room but I’ll call you as soon as I find something out.” I tell her.
“Ok thank you.”
I hang up and stand up when I see the doctor.
“Mrs. Kane?” He ask and I nod. “Dr. Carlson. Patrick suffered a severe blow to the head. He is still unconscious and until he wakes up, we can’t be sure what it wrong but I’m about 90% sure that it’s a severe Grade 3 concussion.”
“What does that even mean?” I ask him. I’m not only worried and scared, I’m also confused.
“It means he probably won’t remember the game and there is a very likely chance that he remember other things.”
“Like what? What do you mean?” I ask, starting to panic. Could Patrick forget me?
“Mrs. Kane, we won’t know until he wakes up. I’m sorry. But you are more than welcome to go see him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?!? I feel like I can go somewhere with this.. lol:)