Status: Updating every other day.

But We Were so Perfect

26

I turned the corner and suddenly the bakery came into view and I could feel my stomach dropping and my heart racing. It's week about 2 weeks since Nixon saw me and Michael

I parked my car on the curb across the street from the bakery and sat there for a minute. I looked in the bakery and saw Nixon at the register smiling at his customer. I took a deep breath and let it out before getting out of my car and quickly walking across the street and into the bakery. A woman was going out of the bakery as I was coming in. I looked around and the place was almost empty. Must be a slow day.

When I went up to the counter he looked up with a smile that instantly went away. He blinked a few times to hide his watery eyes and put on a fake smile.

"Hi sir, welcome to my bakery" he said "what can I get you today."

"Don't be like that Nixon."

"Like what Daniel? I'm working. If you're not going to buy anything then please leave and don't loiter around." He said in a hushed tone. He smiled behind me and I noticed that there was a woman with a baby strapped to her chest behind me.

"Hi how are you today?" He greeted. I stepped aside and waited for her to leave.

"Nixon-"

"Daniel I have no desire to see or talk to you right now, buy something or please leave." He said. I sighed and looked away from him. Noah was just coming out of the back with a tray of cookies. When he saw us he softly gasped and spun around and went back inside.

"Fine" I huffed "I'll have an oatmeal and chocolate chip cookie please." He grabbed one and set it in a small paper sleeve and handed it to me.

"1.90 please." He mumbled. I blinked at him before realizing that he meant the money. I've never had to pay here before and it's weird.

I paid him and sat down at a small table and pulled my phone out. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him quickly walk to the back. I knew it was bad idea to come here. I sighed and took a bite of the warm cookie.

A minute or two later Matthew came out and walked over to me.

"Hey man." He smiled softly.

"Nixon told you to tell me to leave, didn't he?"

"Not really, he did want me to come over though and talk to you."

"I figured."

"What's been going on?"

"He didn't tell you?" He shook his head "I slept with another guy when I got drunk the other day and and ha came to grab something and walked in on me getting out of bed and the guy was still there." I mumbled. He was silent.

"Sorry to hear that." He said after a while "I was wondering why he wasn't wearing his ring." My heart sank. He took his ring off?

"Well, I have to go" I mumbled "I need to go to work." I heard Matthew sigh before he got up and went to the back. I walked out and went home to change into work clothes.
-
Nixon*
When Matthew came back in I looked at him through tears. Noah stayed by me and comforted me.

"What'd he say?" Noah asked.

"He just told me what happened between him and Nixon and then said he had to work so he left." He's still going to go to work even after what's just happened?! That's just not okay.

After a long slow day at work I was finally able to go home and rest for a bit. That is until Ryan texted me and asked me if I wanted to watch a movie at his place. I was too tired to text so I just called him.

"Hello." He sounded so cheery.

"Hey, about a movie tonight I don't think I'm up for it" I said "today was a stressful day and I kind of just want to sleep."

"Aww, come on! I'm lonely and I have good movies with me now." He whined.

"Maybe next time." I mumbled.

He sighed "ok, that's fine. I'll talk to you soon."

"Ok, sorry Ryan, bye."

"Bye."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late, crappy update. But atleast one is here. Let me know what you think. Thanks so much for reading