Sequel: Scattered
Status: Completed

Forgetting You, But Not the Time

Tight Wadd Hill

I walked into the yellow-tented home. My first day had gone much better than planned; meeting Billie, Mike and John... not to mention almost getting detention after shooting spitballs at my Anatomy/Physiology teacher's hair (I swear, it stood at least a foot above her head) with Billie.

We would've gotten away with it if the woman hadn't turned her head to the right just as Billie was shooting a spitball, aiming for a rather wild curl that stood out above the others. Unfortunately the spitball went directly into her ear and she was temporarily deaf out of her right ear until after the bell rang where she almost toppled over her desk after having a rough time pulling the wad of salivated paper out.

Why didn't we get detention, you ask? Well, while the poor lady was using her tweezers to get the spitball out, Billie and I dashed out of the room when she wasn't looking. Knowing the woman's age, she would forget the entire thing by tomorrow. Billie and I would most likely pick up where we left off if she did indeed forget.

After school let out, a jock tried hitting on me; feeling me up in rather uncomfortable places, much to my disgust. I would've kicked him in the groin if Billie hadn't come just in time to punch the dude's face in. Why he stood up for me, I would never know. After all, we had just met a few hours before then. It's not like I didn't appreciate what he did, though. I thought it was rather sweet, but you didn't hear that from me.

I threw my bag on the floor in the corner of the room. Knowing dad wouldn't be home from work until later that night and that the bitch had left a note saying she had to go to Oakland for some business; going to the game was going to be easy as pie. Oh, pie sounds good.

I made my way over to the fridge and took out a pie that dad had bought the night before. Wait, where did he buy this? I randomly asked myself. I waved it aside and grabbed a fork and walked back into the living room where I turned on the tube and watched Fuse.

I gave Billie my phone number before walking home, so I expected he'd be calling soon enough. There wasn't much on TV, so I decided to shut it off.

"Damn soaps." All was ever on TV during the afternoon was soap operas. Nothing good was playing on Fuse, either. Just the same old music videos everyone had seen by now.

To occupy my time, I managed to put in a rather old movie and fell asleep to it. When you're bored and got nothing to do... go to sleep! It was the God of killing time.

Just as the bunny was about to jump in the pool of jell-o (Me: Yes, you're dreaming.) a rather strange ring pulled me out of my reverie of bunnies. I mumbled profanities under my breath before daring to open my eyes. I noticed the light on the phone flashing near the couch and reached out for it.

"What?!" I snapped. I guess I'm stating the obvious in saying that I'm not very friendly after waking up.

"Yeah, I love you too." came Billie's smirk-filled sarcastic voice. I suppressed the urge to say it back—sarcastically, of course (Suuure)—and just simply smiled to myself.

"Sorry, Billie. I just woke up from a very good dream." I said sheepishly, though was obviously exaggerating the "very good dream" part. Seriously, what's so interesting about bunnies jumping into pools of jell-o?

"Really?" he inquired. "Did it have anything to do with me seducing you?" I laughed dryly at that comment.

"In your dreams, lover boy."

"Actually, yes." Billie retorted, sounding rather serious. I brushed it off and laughed.

"So, what's up?" I asked dumbly. Upon noticing the time, I mentally slapped myself.

"Well, I seem to recall scheduling a play-date, but now I see that you forgot!" he said dramatically. I could just picture him throwing his hands up in the air in mock defeat. I snorted.

"Oh, well excuuuse me!" I yawned and stood from the couch, making my way to my room while talking to Billie in the process. "So, my dad and step-mom aren't here. I guess it's safe to say that you can pick me up if you still want to." I said nonchalantly.

"I'd love to pick you up!" shrilled Billie, putting heavy emphasis on "love"; making him sound gay. I just had to laugh at his tone. "Mind if I come by now?" he asked. I shrugged.

"Yeah, why not? It's almost 5:30 anyways."

"Cool, so where do you live?"

"Uh..." I glanced out the window of my room, hoping to find a sign that stated what street I was on. Come on, give me a break... I had only been in that house one night. "6th street, I think. I'm not sure where, though. There should be a big black truck in the driveway." I told him. I didn't know why dad kept that old truck, but it sure was an easy way to find my house.

"Okay, I'll find you eventually. Be there in twenty minutes." Billie said. I didn't quite know how he knew exactly how long it would take for him to get here if he didn't really know where "here" was, but I didn't bother questioning.

"Yeah, see you then." Billie hung up without a goodbye and I sat the phone on my desk. One question had been plaguing my mind ever since Billie had called: what was I going to where? I glanced nervously around my cluttered room and proceeded to throw shirts, pants, etc. out of the closet and onto the unmade bed.

This was just a simple baseball game and I knew I didn't need to dress nice, but why not have a little fun? I continued rummaging through my closet and dresser until I found a pair of skinny ripped jeans that were a little faded from use and age. The waistline sat on my hips, at least an inch or two below my belly button. I grabbed a random white tank top that was rather short, exposing some skin between the hem of my shirt and the top of my pants. I threw on a black "The Clash" hoodie that was just as short as my tank.

I threw on my famous black chucks and made my way to the bathroom where I proceeded to touch up my eyeliner, mascara and cover-up. I added a hint of blush to my cheeks before brushing my teeth and my hair.

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. Perfect. There was just one thing missing. I nearly skipped back into my room where I grabbed my bottle of Wild Musk and sprayed it on my neck and wrists.

I heard the doorbell ring from below me and I quickly stuffed a few dollars into my pocket for food before running down the stairs. I grabbed my chap stick and smoothed it out on my lips before walking to the front door. I looked out the small window to see Billie leaning casually against the wall of the porch. I smiled to myself and opened the door.

Billie's face brightened as he saw me and he grinned. I swear, that boy has no ability to smile. I thought to myself before smiling back.

"Hey." I greeted. I noticed his attire and nearly melted into a puddle of mush at the sight before me. He had on a pair of black baggy pants, similar to the ones he wore earlier that day. He also had on a black Led Zeppelin shirt on with a chain around his neck and his black chucks. His blonde hair was spiked up on all ends, looking rather messy. I could smell his cologne from where I was standing and the scent made me want to embrace him in a hug to where I could get a stronger whiff of that mouthwatering cologne.

"Hey. Ready to go?" he asked, pausing for a moment to allow his eyes to wander up and down my body a few times, taking my appearance in. I felt sort of exposed to his stare, but allowed him to look. After all, he was a guy. Seconds later, his gaze reconnected with mine, a glimmer in his emerald green eyes. Did he just gulp? Like, nervously? No, no, it had to have just been my imagination.

I nodded and smiled before walking out and closing the door behind me.

"Yeah, let's go."

We walked side by side down my porch and across my lawn to be met up with a rather old looking Trans Am. The paint was faded, but it looked like it used to be a light blue of some sort. Inside it sat Mike and John along with two other girls that were nearly in their laps. I raised my eyebrows upon seeing them. I had no idea others were coming. I shrugged it off and Billie walked to the passenger side where he opened my door. I smiled once again.

"Thanks." I said. He nodded.

"No problem." I heard Mike sniggering in the back and once Billie got in the driver's seat, he hit him upside the head. Wait, is Billie blushing? Ha, no, of course not. Why would he be blushing?

The drive there was somewhat uneventful. Other than a blonde chick distracting Billie every now and then from behind him in the backseat and John's constant complaints of being bored, nothing really happened. A brunette who was sitting on Mike's lap had introduced herself to me about halfway there. Her name was Carly, Carly McBride. I found out from her that the blonde bimbo's name was Kristen. And Kristen, obviously, liked Billie. A lot.

The only thing that seemed to satisfy me was the fact that Billie seemed rather annoyed with her flirting. I smirked every time Billie shoved her hand off the back of his neck, or wherever her skinny fingers managed to roam while leaning forward in her seat. He flashed me a few apologetic smiles, but I didn't know why. I just shook my head at him.

About thirty minutes later, Billie pulled into a nearly full parking lot. Tons of teenagers and parents were making their way towards the fenced field where the baseball game was going to be taking place. I opened my door and stepped out, followed by everyone else. It was starting to get dark outside, but the sun was still shining slightly over the hills in the distance.

I walked around the front to where Billie was, waiting for everyone to get their stuff and ready to go. Once everyone was ready, we walked down to the field where a few people sat up picnic blankets or fold out chairs. Mike had brought a blanket with him while John had a chair for himself. Mike began to spread out the blanket while Billie spoke up.

"Anybody want anything to drink?" he asked. I stood from my spot in the grass and nodded.

"Yeah, but I brought my own money, I'll just come with you." I informed him. Billie nodded and looked at the others.

"I'll take a some Poprocks and a Coke." Mike said. I raised my eyebrows. Wow, odd combination.

"I'll have the same, except a pretzel with it." John said. The two boys handed Billie their money and Carly said she'd share a drink with Mike. Kristen stood from the blanket—which she had been occupying all to herself, might I add—and nodded.

"I'll come with you too, Billie!" she said. Billie looked as though he were inwardly kicking himself before nodding.

"Alright, c'mon." I walked on one side of Billie while Kristen forced her arms around Billie on the other side. Billie seemed rather uncomfortable as he tried to nicely wiggle himself free from her grasp, but Kristen just wouldn't have it. I frowned at the dumb chick and felt the need to destroy her perfect nose with my knuckles, but decided against it.

"Oh Billie, thank you so much for taking me." Kristen said in a sickeningly sweet voice. Billie didn't reply. I remained silent as Kristen continued thanking Billie for no apparent reason. The three of us soon made our way to the concession stand where a line had already started forming.

"Wonderful." I muttered. I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of crowds, especially when they were cluttered this close to me. Yes, you guessed it, I have claustrophobia. And if things get out of line (Me: Haha, pun. Get it? "Out of line"? No? Gah, forget I said anything.), I tend to have these lovely little things called panic attacks. Trust me, when you have them, you feel like you're going to die.

I tried staying as far away from the newly forming mob of crazed teenagers, but couldn't exactly get away since I was also in line. A few teenage boys were laughing and pushing themselves from behind me; hitting me a few times in the process, not daring to mutter an apology. I felt my heart racing as my hands started to sweat, but I tried ignoring it; figuring the feeling would pass in time.

Much to my dismay, my fear only started to worsen. More people started getting in line and while a few tried cutting in front of us, others just bumped up against me to steal my place. I felt my pace of breathing start to quicken and I wanted nothing more than to get out of that line. I tried scrambling to find Billie, but couldn't manage to do so. Kristen looked as though she were occupying Billie's time perfectly a few people ahead of me. So, instead, I jumped through an open spot in the crowd and managed to run free.

I leaned up against the closest chain fence, trying to regain the oxygen that had so violently left my body. "Never again." I said to myself. I wiped the beads of sweat from my head as my stomach churned one last time at the sight of the pack that still cluttered near the stands. For a moment I wondered if I should go back to Billie and Kristen, but soon smacked myself afterwards for thinking on such terms. Instead, I decided to walk back to where Mike, John and Carly were; figuring I could get something to eat later on once the line shortened.

I searched the field of sitting spectators and managed to find them near a tree on the hill. I walked back up there and quickly took a seat on the blanket, my hands still shaking slightly.

"Spencer? What's the matter?" Carly asked from behind me. I jumped at the sound of her voice and turned to face her. I shook my head.

"Oh, nothing. I'm fine." I told her. In all reality, I wasn't fine. I needed something to drink or else this rather small panic attack would get worse. Carly didn't seem to believe me.

"Where's your food?" she questioned, glancing at my empty hands. And upon looking, she noticed the shaking my body was doing. "And why are you shaking?" she asked, concern filling her voice as she kneeled down beside me.

"Don't worry about it... I'm fine. Really." I tried reassuring her. I could tell it wasn't working, but she apparently decided to take my word for it; not feeling like arguing at the moment. I watched as the teams began making their way onto the field. I didn't really know all that much about baseball, but the boys seemed to know a hell of a lot more than me. Even Carly seemed to know as she eagerly talked to Mike about the upcoming game.

Moments later, Billie returned with Kristen attached to his hip. Was it just me or was he actually enjoying her "company"? I looked down and noticed his hand on her hip and for some reason I just wanted to push Kristen off a cliff. Or maybe I could massacre her and find some way to leave no traces of evidence by throwing her body into a river.

Billie took a seat, pulling Kristen down with him in the process. She giggled at him and I felt my face flush with anger. Why was I even angry? It's not like I actually liked Billie. Ha, that was nonsense. I didn't like him. But seeing him with Kristen just made my blood boil. She didn't deserve him... she was too preppy and idiotic to be with him. Seriously, anyone with eyes could see that they were a match made in hell.

I tore my penetrating gaze from their cuddle-fest and directed my attention to the baseball game that just began.

"Uh, dude?" Mike said, looking over at Billie; wide-eyed and surprised, much like I was. Billie looked up from Kristen's form as she touched her scrawny hands to his chest.

"Yeah?" Billie's voice cracked. I could imagine steam coming out my ears right about now.

"Where's our food, man?" John asked; Mike seemed to be speechless. Apparently I wasn't the only one who despised Kristen's existence. Billie, still in some sort of daze that made me want to bitchslap him as well, threw Mike his Poprocks and Coke, along with John's and his pretzel. Kristen nuzzled her face in Billie's neck, nibbling on his earlobe in between the little kisses on his neck. I wanted to gag.

"GO, GO, GO! RUN! RUN, YOU SON OF A BITCH! RUUUUN!" Mike shouted, jumping up and down from his spot in the grass. John was standing on his chair, throwing chips he had gotten a while back into the air while screaming as well. The two of them earned a few unapproved stares from the parents, but they ignored them easily.

Carly and I were laughing at the boys, yelling along with them on occasions just to please them. Billie and Kristen seemed to be caught up in their own little world, but I paid no attention to them. I was actually having a good time, other than seeing Billie and his slut swap spit every now and then. Was it just me or did Billie still seem a little uncomfortable? Nah, it was probably just me.

Out of nowhere, Mike and John started cheering like madmen, queuing Carly and I to start shouting with victory with them.

"YES! YEEES! OH, IN YOUR FACE! AHA! WOOHOO! YEAH!" John shouted, pointing at the team that seemed to be losing at the moment. I laughed at him and stuck my tongue out at the dude who seemed to be looking our way from the field. He flipped us off momentarily before getting back into his position, ready for the next guy who walked up to bat.

"These guys are better than cable!" I commented to Carly over the cheering and whistling that was going on around us. Carly laughed.

"Aren't they?"

We continued watching the game, jumping up and down a few times while others we cursed the team we apparently hated for actually getting a homerun. Kristen left a few minutes ago to use the bathroom and Billie seemed to return back down to earth with us and took a seat next to me.

"Hey Mike, lemme see those Poprocks." Billie said. Mike absentmindedly threw Billie his half empty bag of Poprocks, his mind still in the game. Billie grabbed John's Coke off the ground beside him and sat it down in between his legs.

"Alright, Spence," Billie began, looking over at me with a grin as if Kristen had never attended the game in the first place. I raised an eyebrow at him. "The best combination ever known to mankind." Billie stated, holding up the bag and can.

"And that would be?" I sarcastically asked.

"Poprocks and Coke, baby." He said simply. He grabbed a handful of Poprocks and shoved them in his mouth before taking a swig of the Coke. Suddenly, I heard crackling and fizzing come from the inside of his mouth. The look on his face made me burst out into laughter. He started laughing too, but apparently it wasn't such a good idea since he spilled some of the coke into my lap.

I immediately stopped laughing and looked down at my sticky lap. My eyes widened and I looked up at Billie who also cut his laughing short, but continued to grin in my direction.

"Oh, that's it." I said. I jumped up from my spot, Billie doing the same thing, and I began chasing him around the tree. I started laughing out of nowhere, finding the way he ran rather amusing. We continued running for a few more seconds; Billie's daunting laughs mixed with his shrilled screams only causing me to laugh harder; making it more difficult to chase after him.

Then, out of nowhere, Billie accidentally ran into John's chair—that John was still standing on, by the way—and fell to the ground, me tripping over Billie and landing on him and John flying through the air and landing on top of me.

It took a few moments for us to realize what had happened before the three of us burst into fits of laughter. The only other thing we heard was Kristen's complaints and profanities towards me on top of Billie—that only caused us to laugh harder.

Preview for Chapter Five:
"How much do you wanna bet Billie gets laid in the next ten minutes?" Mike suddenly asked, finishing up on his pizza. I glared at him.

"I'm betting the next five minutes." Challenged John. Mike looked over at him with raised eyebrows.

"Alright, you're on, Kiffmeyer." Said Mike before the two boys shook hands. Carly leaned in towards me and whispered,

"As much as I despise Kristen and keep thinking she doesn't stand a chance with Billie, I'm betting it'll be within the next two hours." All I did was frown.
♠ ♠ ♠
written 2/16/08
posted 5/16/08