Status: can't get enough of dylan.

Classics in Summertime

"Any surprises this time?"

I was just walking out of my house when I turned to the left and saw Dylan walking down the dirt road towards me. It was just after lunch, and I wondered if he had spent the morning fixing up his place or just lounging around.

When he saw me coming out of the door, he smiled and began walking more quickly, meeting me at the end of my driveway in just a few steps.

“Hey,” he said, smiling as he tucked his hands in his pockets. “How was your morning?”

“Mine was good.” I nodded my head and smiled back. “Trying to keep busy. What about you?”

“I just finished fixing up the bathroom, and I needed a break.” He paused and smiled again, his eyes blinking softly. “That’s why I came over here, actually. I was going to see if you wanted to hang?”

“Hang?”

“Yes, hang,” he said, chuckling as he rolled his eyes. “I thought we could go riding or something again – if you wanted, I mean.”

I laughed softly at the way his eyes went wide at the last bit before nodding my head. “I think I can arrange that.” I did a quick look around before grabbing Dylan’s wrist and tugging him towards the barn. “We better go quick before my dad tries to snatch me up.”

Dylan smiled at that then followed easily behind me, heading straight for Conchita’s stall. I elected to ride one of the stallions this time – an old one named Henry – and Dylan and I saddled up quickly, though I had to do most of the work for him.

It was barely fifteen minutes later when we were hopping on the horses and heading out for one of the shorter trails. It was one of the few that looped around the property, and my average time for it was just under two hours, which I decided would be the longest amount of time I could make up an excuse for.

“Any surprises this time?” Dylan asked as he held tightly onto Conchita’s reigns.

I shook my head and gave him a gentle smile. “Just the forest.”

He smiled back, nodding softly. “The forest is nice.”

We rode in silence for close to half an hour with Dylan just admiring the scenery around us before the trail finally opened up so the horses could walk side by side. Conchita quickly picked up her pace so she could walk in time with Henry, and the two horses pulled on their reigns a bit before they finally settled.

“So,” Dylan said, trailing off casually while he looked at me. “What do you know about the barn dance?”

“The barn dance?”

Dylan nodded. “I went into town and saw a flyer for it. It seemed interesting enough.”

“It’s okay, I guess.” I shrugged my shoulders and pressed my lips together. “They have it every year as a fundraiser for the schools. I went every year when I was in high school, but there’s really no one over thirty there.”

“Good thing we’re under thirty then,” Dylan said as he smiled at me with his eyebrows raised.

I smiled back and chuckled softly before shrugging my shoulders again. “Guess so.”

“Would you like to go with me?” He waited and I whipped my head towards him immediately, seeing him with a nervous smile on his face. When I didn’t respond, he asked again as an anxious laugh left his lips. “Would you?”

“Like be your date?”

He nodded and I paused with my mouth hanging open and my jaw pushed forward. My thoughts immediately went to Wyatt and what he’d do if he saw us there. It was only a small chance that he’d show up as most of the people were a year or two younger than us, but if he was there, I was sure he’d cause a scene.

Still, I didn’t want to pass up the chance to see Dylan again, because he was quickly becoming my favorite part of the day.

“I’d like that,” I said, nodding my head gently.

“Really?” Dylan responded quickly, his eyes a little too wide. He shook his head once then smiled nervously. “Sorry, I just didn’t think you’d say yes.”

I laughed at him, my lips turning up in a half smile. “Why not?”

“I don’t know.” He chuckled softly and shrugged his shoulders, while his eyes moved away from me and to the path in front of us. “I was just going out on a limb, really.” He paused for a few seconds before turning to me with a huge smile on his face. “I’m really happy you’ll go though. Trust me, I am.”

I nodded at him and returned the smile. “I know.”

“It’s tomorrow,” he said, his eyebrows raised as he looked at me. “Can I pick you up at 7?”

I thought it would be much better if I just walked to his house instead of having to risk the two of us running into my dad or Wyatt when he was picking me up, but I also didn’t want him to realize just how truly paranoid I was.

“That sounds perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The barn dance? Hmmm? I wonder what could happen there? Hmmmmm? Possibly something insane? Hmmm?
Thank you do much for reading! I would love to know your thoughts!
Anyone have any speculation as to what will happen at the barn dance??
xoxo Katie