Status: Finished!

What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces?

If I could turn back time, would you still be there?

Kellin's POV:

At first I was really weary to accept Tony’s offer to hang out with them after school. I kind of had an instinct that has yet to fade, to deny all things like that. Nikon really had me scared straight. Of course I miss him, I really do. No matter how stupid or foolish I sound for saying I miss my abusive ex-boyfriend, I don’t care. He was my first love, for two years. And of course he wasn't always like that; he used to be such a sweetheart, always so protective and generous. By the time he started abusing me, I was already madly in love with him. It’s not like I could just leave him, he had my heart. Of course, it started to go too far, but I still don’t think I would have left him. It’s been four weeks since I've heard from him, that one sketchy phone call was all I had for “closure” I guess.

At first, I thought it could have been a test. I thought he was going to stay away from me for a few days, and have his friends tell him what I was doing and who I was hanging out with, just to see how I would react when he was out of my life. I stayed away from Vic and anyone else he never let me associate myself with when we were together.

But as the days passed, he never came back. Days turned into weeks and now it’s nearly been a month, which I know that if it was a test he wouldn't have stayed away from me for that long. Of course I was still afraid to sit with them at lunch, but Vic honestly made me feel safe. I know he cared about me, but I just couldn't tell him about Nikon and what he used to do to me. Vic probably wouldn't want to associate himself with me if I told him that. He’d think I was some freak for staying with the guy, and then I’d be back to that one lonely kid who sits by himself. I didn't ever want to be that kid, but that’s just how it turned out in my new school. I was too afraid Nikon would hurt me, like he ended up doing anyways, if I talked to people he didn't approve of. In my old school I had quite a few friends, but no close friends that I could tell about anything. Nobody knew about Nikon’s abuse, and that’s how I planned on keeping it. I couldn't let anybody get close to me, I just couldn't. If anyone got too close to me, I’m afraid they’d hurt me again like Nikon did.

Anyways, back to the original point of the story. I was going to automatically reject Tony’s offer, but then I thought about it. I couldn't stay in a bubble forever, just waiting for Nikon to come back. Part of me hopes he will, just so we can be together again, but the rational part of me knows that it’s a really stupid thing for me to think. So I thought about it, everyone’s eyes were on me, and I finally accepted. I was happy to be getting out of my shell and exposing myself to new people and new things, being stuck at Nikon’s hip for the past two years kind of shielded me from the way the real world worked.

So now it’s Friday, my last class just ended and Vic told me to meet him outside the school at the end of the day. I guess we were going to Jaime’s or something, which is cool because all of Vic’s friends are really funny, especially Jaime.

I pushed past the crowds in the hallways, trying to avoid as many people as I could. I wasn't afraid of people, but I was still kind of the new kid and I didn't want to make an ass of myself by running into a whole bunch of people. When I stepped outside I saw Vic standing near a tree, leaning against it with a headphone tucked in one of his ears. I walked up to him and poked him on both of his sides, which caused him to squeal a little bit.

“Hey Kels.” Vic smiled at me, and I grin at the nickname. Nobody else has called me that except for my mother when I was smaller, so it was a nice thing to hear. It was also kind of cute that he had his own nickname for me.

“Hey, where’s everyone else?” I look around to see if the rest of his friends are around.

“They’re gonna meet us at Jaime’s, which we should probably get going.” He turned to walk towards his car, and I follow suit, hopping into the passenger’s seat. He turns the car on and starts to drive to Jaime’s house, which I have no idea where it is or how long it takes to get there.

At first we sit in a comfortable silence, but after a few minutes Vic turns to me at a stoplight and grins. “Ever been to a party, Kels?” He questions, the dopey grin still painted across his face.

“Nope.” I reply, popping the “p.” His big chocolate orbs glow with excitement, and I can practically feel my heart beating a thousand miles a minute inside of my chest.

“Wanna come to one tonight? I thought we could all go and hang out, if that’s okay with you. There won’t be too many people there, but it’ll still be fun.”

I shrug, “Sure, why not.” I return his grin and he turns back to the road, the stoplight turning green.

I've never been to a real high school party before, Nikon always kept be cooped up in the house whenever there was a party going on in my old town. I’m definitely excited that my first one will be with Vic Fuentes.
♠ ♠ ♠
maybe things will get saucy in the next chapter, maybe i should wait??? dunno. we'll seeeee. sorry that this is short again ._.

anyways, thank you all so much. this story has gotten so much fucking feedback and it makes me so happy. i want to give you like 1000 updates a day but i just can't. writers block fucking sucks.

i'm going to try to update It Never Ends tomorrow, if anyone cares.

Title Credit: Would You Still Be There - Of Mice and Men

xoxo
Ribbon