Watch Your Step

The Misadventures of Loki and Alana in Relationshipland - Part one

It had been a bit over a week since Alana was out of the hospital and every little thing caught her attention. She was fascinated by all the little things she missed in the 2 years her mind had been drowned in darkness. Loki was thoroughly amused by this, but at the same time it made him happy inside that she was able to enjoy this all over again.

He would often find himself sitting on the couch or by the door, watching her as she childishly admired a ray of light entering the room or caressing the pages of a book as she read the words out loud, as if to make sure that she could indeed see them and comprehend the message on her own. A small honest smile tugged at his lips every time and he had to refrain from attacking her with kisses and hugs and all the things that were painfully uncharacteristic for him.

Today was one of those days, when while preparing lunch for the two of them, for he had taken the habit of spending the whole day with her, she would roll around a vegetable to admire its lines and sometimes squeal or exclaim happily when she found something interesting (as in, a cutely-shaped vegetable).

He was seated at the table, watching her while deep in thought when the doorbell rang. She politely asked him to go answer the door and, being the gentleman he is, Loki did. However, not little was his surprise when a bouquet of roses was almost shoved in his abdomen, the person probably having aimed at Alana's chest.

"Hello?" Loki pushed away the bouquet and quirked a brow at the male.

"You're not Alana." the slightly shorter male announced, looking completely confused. "Did she move? Mrs. Greenword said she should be at home..."

"I am obviously not Alana, but she is at home. What would you like with her?" he questioned, getting slightly angered by the male.

"I just want to talk to her and give her the flowers. No need to be so aggressive, buddy." Was this mortal trying to mock him? Did he just call him 'buddy'? His fingers twitched and he had to remind himself that he is not allowed to kill. Anything.

"Tyler. What the hell are you doing here?" came Alana's surprised voice as she approached the door, a wet kitchen towel in her hands.

"Hey, babe. I see the rumors were true. I missed you." his eyes gleamed with something she couldn't quite place, but she was certain that wasn't how a person who missed you looks like.

"What do you want?" she took the bouquet and looked at it curiously. Her favourite flowers. Of course he would remember something like that.

"Well I heard you got your sight back and I wanted to talk to you. Can we talk without the zombie listening?" he flashed her a perfect smile and for a moment she considered the possibility. After all, they dated for over an year back then. But no, she knew him too well. So with a fake smile mimicking his own, she handed him the bouquet and stepped away from the door.

"I'm sorry, Tyler. You fooled me for too long. Plus, do you seriously think any sane woman would go back to someone like you after you left me when I needed you most?" she spat, deciding to look at Loki because it calmed her. The raven haired man walked a bit closer and put a hand on the small of her back.

"But baby, I told you that..." the man named Tyler tried. Loki tensed and was about to launch at him, but refrained.

"Oh yes, you told me you couldn't be with someone who couldn't take care of themselves. Well guess what, I managed to do it all on my own. And I found someone a billion times better than your sorry ass. Now if you excuse us." she finished with a wave and closed the door, locking it before turning around to head for the kitchen.

However, Loki caught her arm and pulled her against his chest.

"I don't know if you said it just to make him feel bad or you truly meant it, but it's....so very important for me that you, even if for a short while, consider me that good for you." he kissed her hair and held her tightly.

"I mean it, Loki. You're the best thing that happened to me." she pushed her head back and reached up to cup his face upside-down, pulling him down for a kiss.