Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

Never Made It Easy To Shape My Heart

-Alex’s POV-

I was almost at my deadline. I had to tell Katherine, soon, that I cheated on her. I can’t believe Lisa tricked me into that. Or had she? No, I couldn’t blame this on her. I was to blame. I decided to sleep with not only Lisa, but her brunette friend too. I was drunk, but I couldn’t blame the whole thing on that either. To make it worse, Katherine’s figured out that something’s wrong with me.

“Just tell me what it is, babe.” She would say, kissing my cheek. I couldn’t though. I couldn’t break her heart like that. But, if I didn’t then Jack will. Damn it! I wish Jack would have just punched me. I couldn’t take this pressure, knowing that I fucked up. Again. It was then that I realized. I was always going to fuck up. I was always going to find some way to hurt Katherine without meaning to. She didn’t deserve this. I knew what I had to do, as much as it broke my heart.

I walked the two feet across the hall and knocked on her door. She told me to come on and I closed the door behind me.

“What’s up, Lex?” She smiled at me. Oh God, that smile. That smile could turn the hearts of everyone in the world from pure evil to good. This was becoming so much harder.

“I need to talk to you about something.” This was it. I sat at the foot of her bed and sighed. “Katherine, it’s not working out between us.” Silence.

“W-what do you mean?” I heard her say, her voice barely audible.

“I mean that maybe we shouldn’t be together. No, we can’t be together.” I said, my heart breaking into pieces.

-Katherine’s POV-

“...we can’t be together.” I couldn’t believe it. Alex was breaking up with me. But why? Things have been so great between us.

“Alex, what are you saying? What do you mean we can’t be together?” I cried, tears coming to my eyes.

“We just can’t, Katherine. I’m not good for you.” Wrong. He was the best thing for me.

“You’re wrong.”

“I’m just going to hurt you if I stay with you.” He said, looking away and not meeting my eyes.

“You’re hurting me now!” I saw him flinch at the volume of my voice, as well as the hurt that you could hear in it. “I don’t understand, Lex. Everything was going so well and now you’re just throwing me away?” He didn’t say anything. “Those girls were right.”

“Huh?” He finally looked up at me.

“Those girls that told me you were just going to use me and throw me away. That’s what this is, isn’t it?” I didn’t want to believe it, but it seemed like it was true. We have been having a lot of sex lately… Was he bored of me now? Was that the reason?

“Katherine, it’s not like that at all.” He said after a moment. “I’m going to hurt you, emotionally, if I stay with you because I will keep fucking up everything between us. It’s for the best okay? I’m sorry.” He left before I could get a word in and I let the tears escape. It felt like the room was closing in on me. I didn’t bother looking at the time and I grabbed my shoes, slipped them on, and ran down the stairs and out of the house.

I wasn’t sure how long I had been running, but when I stopped I realized I was at someone’s house. The sun had just set and I looked up at Jack’s house looming over me. Running had brought me here, and for some reason it felt like the right idea. Things were good between us now and he had been a great friend about these things before.

I walked up to his door and rang the doorbell. Jack answered and opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when he noticed the tears streaming down my face. He ushered me in and led me upstairs to his room.

“What happened, Kat?” He asked once the door was shut. I sat on his bed, trying to catch my breath and to stop crying. Jack was patient though, and after a few moments I spoke.

“Alex broke up with me, Jack.” I said, barely above a whisper. “He just..broke up with me and he made it seem easy.” I cried. Jack pulled me onto his lap and I cried against his chest.

“That dick.” Jack muttered. “I’m sorry, Kit Kat, though I’m sure it killed him to do that.” I looked up at him.

“How do you know?”

“Because he loves you.”

“If he loves me, then he shouldn’t have broken up with me. Has there been something going on with him lately? For the last week he has been acting weird around me.” If anyone knew anything about Alex, it was Jack.

“Uh, not that I know of.” Jack avoided my eyes.

“You know something!” I said, jumping out of his lap. I stared him down until he sighed.

“Fine. I know something, but trust me Katherine, you don’t want to know what it is. It might be best if you don’t know.” Jack said, looking in my eyes.

“No, Jack, please you need to tell me.”

“I promised I wouldn’t, Kat.” He sighed again. “Do you trust me?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then trust me on this. It’s better if you didn’t know.” Jack’s tone was serious and hard. I knew fighting him over this was pointless so I gave in. I sat back down next to him and leaned my head onto his shoulder.

“Fine. Do you mind if I stay here tonight?” He shook his head.

“That’s fine. You can borrow some of May’s clothes for tomorrow.” I looked at him questionably. “Tomorrow’s Friday, Kat. Did you forget?” I actually had forgotten. My mind was taken over with the breakup and I didn’t think twice about running or what day it was. I just needed to get out of there, away from Alex. I just hoped I would be able to face him tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's short! Next one will be longer i promise (: yeah so alex is a dick and jack is trying to protect Kat. but i don't think the secret will last very long knowing Lisa.