Status: This is the first walking dead fic I've written, so please leave feedback if you have the time: ) thank you

Arrow to the Side

Flames

Casting a fearful look towards Jasmin , Anna put a finger to her lips. The drop down from the tree was not particularly graceful but it was silent. All the time she spent with Daryl had paid off. Jasmin dropped down after her, quiet as a mouse. Anna took a moment to listen to sounds of walkers. A pillar of pale smoke was rising up into the night from the direction of the farm. Anna felt her legs moving before she even registered. Her legs beating a heavy path through the thick undergrowth. She could hear frantic whispers from Jasmin as she followed her steps. Her mind only had one thought and that was finding her friends. Her heart shifted to Daryl.

What was happening?

The sounds of groans and gunshots echoed across the fields towards the two figures emerging from the bush

. "No" Anna breathed the word out to herself. It quickly turned to a mantra as she watched the beloved farm fall. Annas gaze fell to the flames tearing down the barn, where a pillar of smoke blacked out the stars.

"Anna" Jasmins voice ripped into Annas mind. She turned to register her friend dropping walkers around them.

"We have to go." Jasmin looked sympathetic and Anna hated it. She couldn't stand sympathy. It made her feel weak. She pulled her gun from it's holster and followed her friend back into the relative safety of the woods.

They ran for what felt like an eternity. Until the sounds of following walkers faded and the night crept into early morning. Jasmin stopped and pulled on Annas arm. Her breath coming out ragged and parched.

" you need to stop." Anna swallowed dryly and nodded. Falling back against a tree and panting. Anna felt empty. Physically and mentally. Thankfully, both girls both still had small rucksacks attached to their backs. Anna pulled out a bottle and downed half before offering the rest to Jasmin, who took it gratefully before dropping onto the dirty ground.

"So, what do you wanna do?"

Jasmin looked up at Anna.

"I don't know." The words opened up a floodgate and dry sobs escaped Annas throat. Her knees buckled and she fell to the ground in exhaustion. The world went black.

**** Daryl****

"Where's Anna?" Daryl pulled up next to Carols Cherokee on the highway. Rick looked at him. It was silent. Rick didn't know what to say.

"Rick." Fear crept into Daryl's voice, However much he tried to disguise it.

"She's not here." Rage swept over Daryl like an ocean.

"Don't be stupid. She has to be here. We can't jus' leave 'er." His fists clenched as he moved to get back onto his bike.

"I'm goin' to get 'er" His voice shook.

"Daryl. You can't go back there. She won't be there. You know that." Ricks voice was steady and calm, despite the struggle going on inside his head.

Daryl looked around helplessly for someone to agree with him. He found nothing.

"We can't jus' leave 'er"

He repeated.

"I know and we won't. We'll find her. But we have to keep our heads."

Daryl looked at his feet before nodding.

**** Anna****

"Anna, you have to get up." Jasmins voice floated through the void in Annas mind. She didn't want to be pulled out of this drifting state yet. It was warm like this. She felt careless. Not knowing why she should go back to feeling bad.

She was forced out, though, as she felt a cascade of water splashing over her face. Her eyes snapped open. To be greeted with a soft green light falling through the forest around her. Jasmin had dragged her into a sitting position under a canopy of trees. A crow scrawked from somewhere in the world.

"We need to move. Fast."

The events of last night came flooding back to slap Anna in the face. It knocked the wind out of her.

"The farm." Anna gasped. She looked at Jasmin with fear. "It's gone."

" I know, but you have to focus. Where would your group go?"

Anna thought for a moment.

"They said... They told me... They left supplies for a little girl. On the highway."

"Sophia? Was Sophia her name?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"I saw the sign. Come on. You need to stand up." Jasmin offered Anna her arm and pulled her up. The two friends started to walk.