Disconnected

6

It had been a week, and tomorrow was the day when we would go into the studio and do a real writing session. We were writing with a special surprise guest that the boys knew about, but I did not. They refused to tell me who it was. I was nervous about not only that, but also It being my first real writing session.

We were all hanging around the house that night, watching movies and eating pizza, when the boys suggested a horror movie.

I groaned.

“Do we have to?” I muttered from my place on the couch, Luke sitting in front of my legs on the floor, Ashton next to me, Michael next to him, and Calum on the armchair.

“Definitely.” Cal replied, putting the movie in.

I sighed, and after just the opening scene, I was already scared. I quickly moved and sat down next to Luke on the floor.

He laughed and looked at me.

“Scared, Absy?” He asked, smirking.

I nodded vigorously, and just as I did, the killer jumped out from behind a tree, and I jumped, burying my face in Luke’s chest.

His chest vibrated with laughter, and I wanted to hit him, but instead I sat up and saw him on his phone. I looked over his shoulder and saw that he took a selfie of us, me curled into his side.

I did hit him then.

“You jerk!” I scolded.

He laughed and wrote a caption.

Scary movie buddy!

I couldn’t help but smile.

Luke and I had become fast friends since I moved here, and I could count on him for a lot. He almost instantly became my best friend.

Back on the screen, the killer strangled a girl, and I jumped.

All 4 boys laughed at me.

“Okay, it’s getting late, let’s turn this off and go to bed, for Abby’s sanity.” Ashton suggested.

I smiled gratefully and got up, pulling Luke up with me as the boys all said goodnight.

“Can you check my closet for killers?” I asked Luke. It may sound insane, but I was actually scared of that stupid movie.

Luke laughed and shook his head, but went into my room before me, checking the closet.

“See? Nothing.” He stated. “Goodnight, Abs. Big day tomorrow.”

He went into his room through the bathroom and I changed and laid down in bed, suddenly exhausted.

Just as I was about to fall asleep my phone started ringing, Alex’s name flashing across the screen. I answered it quickly.

“You’re cheating on me.” Came his slurred voice when I picked up.

“Alex, you’re drunk.” I sighed.

“Doesn’t matter. You’re cheating on me. We’re apart. This isn’t going to work out.”

“What are you saying?” Tears instantly sprung to my eyes.

“I’m saying that it doesn’t matter anymore. You don’t matter anymore. I’m fucking Lauren. Bye Abby.” He hung up the phone and I took a deep breath, kneeling on the ground and hurling the phone across the room and into the wall, where broke into two pieces. I picked both pieces up and hurled them at the wall again. I was being crazy, but I couldn’t help it.

He was sleeping with my best friend. After all this time together. I chocked back a sob just as Luke rushed into the room.

He looked around, noticing the broken phone and my crying.

“Abby.” He said tentatively. “What happened?”

He came over and sat down next to me, grabbing my hands and stopping them from throwing the phone pieces for a third time.

I couldn’t get the words out. I didn’t want to admit it. I felt so pathetic, sitting here thinking he was being faithful to me. That I was the one screwing up. And he was fucking my best friend.

“Abigail.” Luke’s worried voice cut through my thoughts.

“He… he fucked my best friend.” I muttered through sobs.

Luke sighed, wrapping his arms tighter around me.

“How could he do this to me?” I muttered. “Am I not good enough?”

“Absy.” Luke’s grip tightened even more. “You’re perfect, and that dude’s a jerk.”

I sighed, my sobs dying down into hiccups.

I didn’t want to talk about this anymore. I was just done. And exhausted.

“Will you stay here tonight?” I asked, as Luke released me so I could crawl into my bed.
Luke sighed.

“If I shared your bed, your cousin would murder me, but how about I sleep right down here?” He offered, stretching out on my floor.

I smiled at my new best friend. He didn’t even judge me for my meltdown. Who needed the old when the new was so great?

I tossed him a pillow.

“Thanks, Lukie.”

“Anything for you, Absy. I’m going to be here if you need me. You’re worth it and you’re wonderful and don’t let a guy affect you like that.”

I smiled and reached my arm down holding Luke’s hand from the bed, squeezing it.

“I’m going to need a new phone.” I muttered. Luke laughed, squeezing my hand.

“Go to sleep, Abby.”