The Bitch Came Back

[four]

School went by slowly. Every time I spotted one of my brothers or Derrick while I was Jason, they just glared. I’m sure Derricks glare was just in general because I’m such a fake bitch.

“Come on babe, everyone is going to be there.” I shook my head at Jason who was standing uncomfortably close.

“I have to go to the gym.” I lied. He nodded approvingly.

“Yes you do. Afterwords I expect you to come.” He leaned down and pecked me on the lips before walking to his car. I rubbed my temples for a second before I heard someone clear their throat. I looked up see Derrick, surprisingly not glaring.

“You okay?” He asked lightly. I nodded.

“You know how to drive right?” He nodded confused. Once I tossed him my keys, he made the connection and his face turned to pure shock. He glanced at the keys, then at Ricky, and then back at me. I rolled my eyes. “I need to change so keep your eyes on the road. And for the love of god, don’t hurt my baby.”

Today I had worn an Adam Lippes dress that I had gotten as a gift from one of my dads old biker friends after he passed. Said my dad saw me looking at it and thought it would look beautiful on me so he ordered it to be delivered to his house. It wasn’t one of my favorite dresses but it did look good on me.

After making sure that Derrick wasn’t peeking, I slipped a pair of jeans on under the dress and quickly threw on an old t-shirt. I knew that Lorraine hadn’t ever seen me how I dressed at school and some boy crashing at my house wasn’t going to change that. I kicked my feet up on the dash to put on my sneakers when Derrick spoke.

“I thought you were getting a pedicure yesterday?” I shrugged and slipped on one of my socks, scrunching my eyebrows.

“I did.” I lied. He smirked.

“And it chipped and grew out overnight? I do have sisters, I know what a proper pedicure looks like which leads me to ask, what are you hiding Damon?” He paused, a satisfied smirk on his face. “That Jason guy get you hooked on drugs or something? Maybe you get drunk or high after school so you can live with yourself?” I scoffed.

“You couldn’t be more off. I don’t drink and I don’t do drugs. You need to stop digging into shit that doesn’t concern you.” I said, my voice dripping with attitude. I wasn’t going to let some stranger intimidate me.

I popped open the glove box and grabbed my wet wipes, glancing in the side mirror as I got one out and started wiping away my lipstick and eyeliner. He continued to glance at me curiously.

“What's up with you? You change yourself completely multiple times a day. You are completely fake.” I shook my head smiling, I can’t believe I found this idiot in the least bit attractive! I knew what he was doing though, he was trying to get me riled up so I would spill. I shook my head.

“Thats me, Damon Callahan. Bitch by day, bitch by night. Holy two faced.” I joked. I pointed to Lorraines house and he pulled in the driveway. Lorraine came running out of the house smiling and waving, Derrick looked confused.

“Damon! You look marvelous!” She glanced over to Derrick and dramatically threw her hands to her face smiling. “And by golly Caine! You look so different!” I smiled at the old woman.

“Actually, this is Derrick. He’s a friend, Caine had a study date with Lue.” Lorraine smiled at Derrick, not phased at all that she didn’t know who he was.

“Well I’ll send you home with one of Don’s old turtle necks to cover up his love bites after this study date.” Lorraine winked at me which caused me to laugh. Lorraine was officially the most adorable old woman I had ever met. “Hows your dad today?” She asked lightly. Derrick’s confusion was almost palpable.

“Hes alright, probably worried about Kevin since his birthday is coming up and you know how well they get on.” I added sarcastically. I grabbed my bag out of the back. “I brought my curling iron and a bit of makeup just incase you wanted to wear it.” She smiled and shook her head.

“If you can get a strapping young man like this without makeup, I don’t need makeup either. Plus I bought a wonder bra off of the commercial with a couple easy payments and Frank will be wowed.” I smiled and turned to Derrick.

“Tools are in the garage, left side shelf on the top. I’ll come out when I’m done to help you, alright?” He looked confused but nodded and headed in the direction of the garage.

________

“Oh Damon! I haven’t looked this nice since Don came back from vietnam and I wanted to surprise him!” I curled the last piece of Lorraine’s hair. I talked her into letting me apply a bit of blush and a bit of mascara to her face, just to accentuate what was already there. The doorbell rang and Lorraines eyes went wide as she glanced at me. “I’m not ready yet! Stall him while I put on my dress!” She hurried, well as fast as a woman who has had several hip surgeries could to her room while I went to answer the door.

“Hello darlin’, I’m looking for Lori?” I glanced at the old man behind the door and smiled. He was dressed in a nice suit and had his hair combed. He had also brought a bouquet of flowers.

“She’ll be just a minute. Please, come in.” I glanced up at Derrick quick before closing the door. He had his shirt off and was pulling leaves out of the gutter. He hadn’t noticed me staring for a millisecond but damn was it a good millisecond.

“Tom, hi. I see you met Damon?” Lorraine came walking out of her room in the blue sundress I helped her pick and I could practically see Tom’s jaw dropping in his head. He quickly cleared his throat.

“Yes, beautiful young lady. Almost as beautiful as you. I got you these.” He offered her the flowers. My heart was practically melting inside before I realized I was awkwardly standing there watching them.

“I’ll go help Derrick.” I announced before slipping out the door. I had a key to Lorraines and I knew that I could just lock up when we're done. I glanced up to Derrick and cupped my hand over my eyes to block the sun. “Hey there stranger.” I joked. He finally noticed me and offered me a smile.

“I thought you said you were going to help!” He whined sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and went to the side of the house. Climbing up on the garbage can, I hoisted myself up onto the roof. He looked at me curiously.

“Usually I’m the one who cleans the gutters.” I answered his silent question. He took a handful of debris and tossed it in the bucket I’m assuming he was using as a waste bin.

“You do a lot for a woman you met at the grocery store.” I shrugged, smiling as I watched from afar as Tom and Lorraine left her house. She gave me a small wave before they got in his car and pulled out.

“When I met Lorraine, I also met her grandson Jess. Jess was sweet. We became sort of friends and I hung around Lorraine quite a bit.” Derek chuckled, wiping his sweaty hair out of his hair. I couldn’t help but let my eyes practically rape him. I liked men who actually worked instead of paying someone else to do it.

“You and Jess, were you guys together?” I laughed and shook my head.

“No, Jess was seven. He had a crush on me though, I bought him a hot wheels every time I came to visit.” I smiled remembering Jess’s freckles and floppy brown curls, very similar to Derricks.

“Was?” His voice was barely louder than a whisper as he continued to work, not making eye contact with me.

“Jess was born with a heart disease, his mom is a junkie currently doing time. She used while she was pregnant. He passed away about 7 months ago.” I could feel my bitter smile growing. Jess was a cutie, and his room in Lorraines house is practically a shrine but it helps her. She didn’t bury him. She had him cremated and then spread in a river that ended in florida. He had a weird thing about Florida. He wanted to go there and become a nascar driver, wouldn’t shut up about it.

“Shit I’m sorry.” I shrugged, letting a sad smile play on my lips.

“Its alright. He knew he was sick but it didn’t slow him down in the least. Never saw that kid sad so I doubt he would want me to feel sad.” I let my mind wander to the little boy I tried to push to the back of my mind.

Derrick’s POV

I watched as Damon chewed on her lip and stared at the sunset, letting her feet dangle over the edge of the roof. I felt horrible for what I was thinking, but I couldn’t help it. Shit, the only thing I could think of was: Is Jess’s death the reason she is a complete bitch?

Her family is strange. Whenever I asked any of them about her personality shift when she was at school v.s. when she was at home, they would all get really weird about it. They weren’t very discreet with their dislike for Jason. Is he the reason that she is a bitch?

Thing is, she really isn’t a bitch. When she is with people, she is two faced. Even I could see how bad she felt the first day of school when the tall blonde girl ran up (I later learned her name is Abby and her and Damon were frenemies, whatever that means) and she started acting like a total different person.

Normally I wouldn’t care, she is just a girl. But Damon isn’t just a girl, shes well, Damon. Sure I have barely known her a day but there is something about her that tells me to not write her off just yet. Maybe its how light our first conversation was or maybe its because she is incredibly beautiful.

Thats right, her looks didn’t go unnoticed. She had long dark healthy hair that probably made guys fall all over themselves for her. Her blue eyes popped out against her dark makeup and her body was ideal. You could tell she worked hard for her body, the way her muscles flex under her clothes without her trying.

Her smile was another story completely. When she was around her brothers or me, she almost always wore a small cocky smirk which was sexy enough itself but when she actually smiled or laughed it was incredible. It was like everything stopped when she smiled, like she was the only person in the world that mattered.

Man, I have it bad.