You Are Not Alone

Joseph

Michael's POV

Michael followed Joseph to his office. He wasn't stupid. He knew exactly what was coming. However, he was done letting his father tell him what to do. This thought didn't make him any less nervous though. Joseph always managed to make him feel like the scared little boy he used to be.

"Close the door", Joseph said curtly, taking his seat. Michael did as instructed, taking the seat across from his father. When he sat, he released the breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

"What did you want to speak to me about, Joseph?" Michael asked, even though he knew the answer.

"That little tramp you brought into my home. That's what I want to speak to you about, boy", Joseph said, glaring at his son. Michael returned the glare, clenchin his fists in an effort to calm his rage.

"She is NOT a tramp. Do not talk about her like that. And her name is Lily. I suggest you remember that, Joseph", Michael replied angrily.

"I don't give a damn what her name is! She's only after your money, Michael", Joseph said, his voice getting louder with each word.

"No, she isn't! Lily doesn't care about that", Michael yelled back. He rolled his eyes with Joseph scoffed.

"Don't be a fool! I guarantee you she'll be going to the tabloids with somethin' by next week!" Joseph exclaimed, smacking the desk for emphasis.

"Dammit, Joseph! Not everyone is like that. You have no right to judge Lily when you don't even know her! Give her a chance, for God sake. If you took the time to talk to her, you'd realize that you're wrong about her!" Michael's voice was shaking with anger and frustration.

"I don't need to get to know her, Michael! She's not a celebrity. Sooner or later, she's gonna either leave you because she can't handle it or she'll want more and latch onto your money!" Joseph said, determined to make Michael see his side of things.

"Joseph, I know she isn't a celebrity, but she isn't gonna do that to me. She knows what being with me comes with paparazzi. And she doesn't need my money." Michael said, hoping his father would understand.

"What the hell does that mean?" Joseph asked.

"Lily isn't rich or anything, but both of her parents are pretty well off. Her mother works for Vogue and her father is a heart surgeon. Even though she grew up with money, she got her own job. She paid her own way through college and she pays her rent and her bills without any help from her parents." Michael was desperate to make his father understand. "She's independent, Joseph, and she never asks me for anything. Hell, she made a point of telling me to stop buying her things!"

Once Michael was finished, his hands were shaking. He stared at his father and Joseph stared right back. Refusing to back down, Michael held his stare. After what seemed like an eternity, Joseph sighed and looked away.

"Alright, Michael", Joseph said, holding his hands up. Michael instantly relaxed. "I hope you're right about her." Michael smiled. That was as close to a blessing as he was going to get from Joseph. Not that he needed it anyway.

When Michael and Joseph finished their conversation, they walked back out to the family room. Lily looked up as he sat next to her. She gave him a look that said she wanted to ask if everything was alright, so he smiled at her. Not caring who was around, he leaned in and gave her a quick peck on her lips. This, of course, caused the room to errupt in cheers and good natured teasing.

A couple hours later, Michael announced that it was time for he and Lily to be heading home. Making their rounds, the couple said goodbye. Michael was relieved that Jermaine had managed to behave the rest of the day. Even Joseph was cordial towards Lily when she said goodbye to him. He knew his father had major trust issues when it came to him having relationships, but he had to realize that Lily wasn't going anywhere.

During the ride home, Lily asked Michael what happened between him and Joseph. He hoped she wouldn't be too offended, but he proceeded to tell her everything. Surprisingly, she said she understood where Joseph was coming from, but assured him that he had nothing to worry about. He just smiled and kissed her in response. He never doubted her for a second. A while later, they arrived back at Neverland.

After such a long and exciting day, Michael and Lily were exhausted. Michael kissed Lily before she went to her room to take a shower. Michael continued to his room, intent on doing the same. Letting the hot water wash over his tired muscles, he thought back on the day he'd had. He was glad Lily was able to meet the rest of his family, even if there were some slight hiccups throughout the day. It went better than expected where Joseph was concerned. Turning off the water, he dried off and put on his pajamas.

Michael was sitting up in bed, reading as he waited. A knock sounded on Michael's bedroom door. Knowing it was Lily, he called for her to come in. When she did, he closed his book and set it on the table next to him. She smiled at him and walked over to the bed. Pulling back the covers, Michael patted the empty space next to him. Immediately, she slid under the covers. Sliding his body down, he took Lily into his arms.

"I wanna do something special for you tomorrow", Michael said, kissing her forehead. Lily looked up at him.

"You don't need to do anything for me, Michael. You've done more than enough for me already", Lily replied. Michael shook his head.

"I know I don't need to, but I want to. Doing things for you makes me happy and I love seeing you happy", Michael insisted, kissing her nose.

"Fine, Michael, but don't be spending a ton of money on me", Lily raised a playful eyebrow. Michael sighed in mock annoyance.

"Yeah, yeah. I know", Michael said, rolling his eyes playfully.

"So, what is it we're gonna do tomorrow?" Lily asked curiously.

"Uh uh, it's a surprise", Michael said, closing his eyes as he smiled. He flinched when Lily pinched his side.

"You suck, you know that", Lily joked, sticking her tongue out at him.

"You'll live", Michael said, sticking his tongue out at her. Lily growled at him, making him laugh.

"Come on, let's go to sleep. Big day tomorrow", Michael said with a wink.

"Stop teasing me", Lily pouted. Michael grinned at how cute she was.

"You'll find out in the morning. You'll love it, I promise", Michael said, hoping to placate her. She narrowed her eyes, but sighed, giving up.

"Fine, you win. Goodnight, Michael", Lily said, dropping the subject. "I love you", she said, sounding as if she were already drifting off to sleep.

"Sweet dreams, babygirl. I love you more", Michael replied, watching her sleep for a few minutes. Closing his eyes, he drifted off to sleep, holding Lily tightly in his arms.