‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Five

“So Mags, you hear anything about where you’ll be for the Olympics?” Pascal asked as we were all in the locker room getting ready for our game tonight against the Avalanches.

“No, Germany finally signed over for me to be on the men’s team, we’re just waiting on Russia now,” I sighed and the guys nodded their heads.

“G, tell your country to gut Maggie some slack,” James said and Geno smirked and rolled his eyes.

“I have Putin in phone, I call and make it happen,” Geno said and I giggled and gave him a thumb up.

“Thanks G, appreciate it,” I said and the two of us laughed.

“It help, I hope you play where you want,” he said and I smiled towards him.

“Thanks.”

-James-
Geno, Maggie, Olli, Kris and I were on the ice, it was the middle of the third period and we were down by one, actually, we didn’t even score at all. It was a very frustrating game and we couldn’t let Colorado leave here with a shutout. I watched as Kris intercepted the puck and quickly passed it to Maggie; none of us were open so she headed down the ice towards the enemy net. We all thought she had it, she got into position to take the shot, her stick tapped the puck at the same time she was bulldozed down to the ice by the Colorado Captain.

I made my way over towards her and saw her slowly pushing herself up while Kris and Landeskog got into a shoving match. I bent down, Maggie was on her hands and knees trying to catch her breath, “You good?”

“Yeah,” she said and then sat up and pushed herself off of the ice, standing to her feet and shaking her head, “What happened?”

“You were tackled to the ice,” I answered and she looked around and saw the refs trying to pull Kris away from Landeskog.

“Maggie,” I turned and saw Eric, the trainer, being pulled over by Olli, “You all right?”

“Yeah, he just- he caught me on my blindside,” Maggie said and Eric nodded his head.

“I want to look at you anyways,” he said and Maggie nodded her head, “Did you hit your head?”

“I can’t remember,” she said and I looked down at her worriedly, that was never a good answer.

Maggie skated off of the ice with Eric holding her arm, I looked over towards my teammates and they watched as Maggie went down the hallway and then turned their heads towards the Avalanches and glared, they game just got a lot more physical.

-Maggie-
Doc was looking at me so long that I missed the second half of the third period; we ended up losing the game with the final score of one to nothing. I cursed, that loss shouldn’t have happened, but I just knew we needed to work hard to make sure it didn’t happen again.

“All right Mags, go shower and get some rest, we’ll see how you feel in the morning,” Doc said and I nodded my head and headed out of the office, he obviously didn’t think it to be a concussion, which I was grateful about.

I was the last to go in the showers; I carried my towel into one of the stalls that I had practically claimed as mine because it had all of my bath supplies in it. I turned on the water, hearing some of the guys already in the middle of their showers and stepped into the warm water, enjoying how it felt on my skin.

-Beau-
“You just waiting on Mags?” Marc asked and I nodded my head, “Where is she?”

“Shower,” I said and he just nodded his head and looked towards the door.

“Still?” he asked and then looked towards Sidney, “She never takes this long of a shower.”

“Doc said that she needed to calm her muscles down, maybe she’s just sitting under the hot water- You know she does that,” he said and Marc nodded my head.

“Something doesn’t feel right,” I mumbled and looked towards Olli to see him just looking at me.

“She was hit hard; I was right behind her,” he said and I sighed and stood up, “Where are you going?”

“To see if she’s all right?”

“She’s probably fine, Sunny,” Sidney said.

“I just want to make sure,” I said and headed towards the shower room and turned to see Olli following me. Some of our teammates had already left, other’s decided to stay, I know some were going to grab a bite to eat together, “Maggie?” I called as I walked down the hallway of shower stalls. When I didn’t hear her respond, I looked back towards Olli. We walked towards the only stall that had the water running and knocked on the door, “Maggie?”

“Maggie, you all right?” Olli asked as he tried knocking when she didn’t respond to me, she didn’t respond to him either.

“Mags!” I called and tried to pull the door a little, but knew it to be locked. I shook it and then looked up and then looked at Olli.

He looked around and then looked up and then at me, “Cup your hand,” he said and I nodded my head and bent down, feeling his shoe going in my hand and I watched him grab the top of the stall door and I picked him up. Olli peaked his head over the stall and I heard him curse.

“What? What is it?”

“She’s on the ground!” he said and I don’t know what I was thinking, I pulled back and let him go, “Dude!”

“Sorry! Wait- She’s what?!” I asked and Olli looked at me.

“She’s unconscious,” he said and I panicked, “She’s naked too,” I looked at him, his face was red.”

“Not like you’ve never seen a girl before,” I said and he just looked at me, “Fuck, you’ve never seen a naked girl- Wait- What?”

“More important matters!” he barked.

“Right! Maggie!” I yelled and started to bang on the door, “Maggie!” I yelled again.

“What the hell are you guys doing?!” I heard and turned to see Sidney and Marc walking into the locker room.

“Maggie’s unconscious!” Olli informed and they rushed over and looked up.

“Marc, climb over and open the door,” Sidney said and Marc nodded his head as Sidney and I bent down, “Maata, get Doc!”

Olli ran out of the locker room and Sidney and I picked Marc up and watched as he climbed over the stall door. We heard him land on the other side and heard the water turn off, I looked towards Sidney to see that he had a concern look on his face. Marc opened the door and I walked in and saw that he had wrapped Maggie’s towel around her. I waiting in the hall while Sidney and Marc were in there, Marc leaned Maggie against him and I watched as Sidney tapped Maggie’s cheek.

“Maggie, Maggie, hey, Mags! Can you hear me?” Sidney called and I turned to see Doc and Coach hurrying towards us.

“Sid,” I called and he looked at me, “Doc’s here.”

Sidney stepped out of the stall, Marc was still in there when Doc walked in and Coach, Olli, Sidney and I were in the hallway seeing Doc trying to wake Maggie up. I don’t know what he did, but Maggie groaned and she started to blink her eyes opened. I breathed a sigh of relief and watched as Marc hugged her.

-Maggie-
I blinked my eyes opened, hearing beeping and looking around the room to see that I was in a hospital room. I groaned and pushed myself off of the bed and saw my Mom sitting in a chair next to my bed and my Dad was sitting at the end of my bed. They just watched as I sat up and waited for me to say something.

“What day is it?”

“Tuesday, it’s almost midnight,” Mom answered and I just nodded my head and rubbed my face, “We got here a few hours ago. How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” I said and ran my fingers through my hair, “What happened?”

“You passed out,” Dad said and I just looked at him and winced at the sudden pain in my chest. I pulled on my hospital gown and saw that my chest was bruised, “Doc thought that you took a blow to the head, but you didn’t- We looked over the tape at least thirty times, Landeskog elbowed you in the chest and when he landed on top of you, I guess it was just too much pressure,” Dad explained and I just looked at him.

“Oh.”

“Doc says that he’ll think that you’ll only miss one game,” Mom said, “Lucky that your next game is in four days- Well, three now,” she said and I nodded my head, the game against Colorado was on Monday, our next game wasn’t until Friday and it looked like I was going to be missing the game against the Islanders.

-Kane-
Jon and I had watched the game against Colorado and Pittsburgh and we both thought that when Maggie got hit from Landeskog, she would be all right, that she just had her breath kicked out of her. I just figured that they wanted to keep her off of the ice since there was less than ten minutes in the game to recover from the hit.

No one, not even me, expected to get a GameCenter Alert about two hours later announcing that Pittsburgh Penguins’ forward Maggie Marshall was rushed to the hospital after collapsing. It was torture not being able to leave to go and make sure she was all right. I was in Florida at the time with the boys, we had a game against the Panthers the next night and then one against the Lightning two days later.

It was only the texts from Crosby giving me updates on her that made me feel a little bit better. I just couldn’t wait until she was a Blackhawk so this pain of her being so far away would finally go away.