‹ Prequel: Chances Risked
Sequel: Life's Chances

The Three C's

Chapter Seventy

I left the house with Troy and the dogs, wanting to go to the dog park down the street, just to get away. I was gone for about an hour, maybe longer, and when I came back, there were cars in the driveway. One I knew to be Jon’s, the other Corey’s and I saw that Sharp and Abby were still there.

I sighed and walked into the house, unleashed the dogs, brought Troy into the living room, placing him in his crib and letting him watch some cartoons. I heard voices and walked into the kitchen to see everyone in there, a coffee in their hand.

“What’s going on?” I asked and everyone looked at me.

“Maggie!” Corey smiled and then walked over towards me and hugged me, “How are you?”

“What did you do?”

“Why do I have to be the one who did something? Can’t I just ask how my teammate is?” he asked and I sighed and shoved him to the side, walking into the kitchen and looking at Pat.

“All right, I want answers, NOW!” I growled and everyone looked at me.

“That’s what I’m trying to find out, babe,” Pat said and I bit my lip and then looked to Jon.

“What happened?” I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall.

“Well, uh, where to begin-“

“Preferably the beginning, Jonathan,” I said, not really in the mood to mess around.

“Kaner got wasted and started hitting on this girl that he thought was you and was even calling her Maggie,” Jon explained and I looked at him.

“The non Spark Notes Version, please?!” I asked and Jon sighed.

“Pat had a lot to drink and there was this girl that had come up to him- And I swear Mags, I had to look like four times because I thought it was you too- She looked just like you, and I was sober!” Jon said and I moved him to continue, “He started to follow her, called her Maggie and I guess she went along with it, because she knew he was drunk. They danced together and we were watching him, but when she started to pull him towards the exit, that’s when Corey and I pulled him away and I took him home.”

I looked at Pat, he was sitting on the kitchen counter, holding his coffee and looking at the ground, “So basically a twenty five year old man needed to be babysat?” I knew Pat loved to party, but I had hoped that he was going to turn it down just a little bit.

“Mags-“

“Just don’t, Pat,” I said and then turned around and headed up the living room, grabbing Troy and then heading up the stairs to our room.

-Kane-
“We better go,” Abby said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“Yeah, I gotta fix this,” I said and the guys nodded their heads and patted my shoulder, wishing my luck. Maggie had every right to be angry with me; I had crossed the line with my drinking and almost made a huge mistake. I walked up the stairs and headed towards my room, I got to the door and listened, I could hear Maggie giggling. I took a deep breath and opened the door to see Maggie on the bed with Troy; they were sitting there and playing with some toys, “Mags,” I called and she stopped what she was doing and looked at me, “I’m really sorry about last night.”

“You know that’s how Kris cheated on me,” she said and I just looked at her, “He got drunk and hooked up with that girl.”

“Mags-“

“You owe your friends a huge thank you, because of them, you were able to keep your relationship with me,” she said and then stood up and looked at me, “Because of them having to babysit you, is the only reason I’m still here, Patrick.”

“I’m so sorry,” I said and she just looked at me sadly, “I was too drunk to notice that the girl wasn’t you! I thought she was you! I love you, Maggie!”

“I love you too, Pat, and I know you were out celebrating last night, but you- You gotta watch your alcohol intake. Your boys can’t babysit you forever, and I’m not always going to be at your side- I need to know that I can trust you.”

“You can- Last night I just got a little out of control- I’ll work on it,” I said and Maggie just looked at me, “Please Maggie, don’t be angry with me- I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

“I’m not angry, Pat- I’m just disappointed,” she said and then sighed and walked passed me, heading out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

I remained in the doorway of our bedroom, I sighed and looked down, ‘…I’d rather you angry…’

-Maggie-
“Thank you so much for watching him, Mags- I hope he wasn’t too much trouble!” Emma said as she picked her son up and smiled towards me.

“Not at all, we had a lot of fun together,” I giggled, my hands in the back pocket of my jeans and I smiled towards Emma and Troy, “He had fun with his Aunt and Uncle.”

“Well good, I’m glad.”

“How was your trip?” I asked and she rolled her eyes.

“Hawaii itself was awesome- Being with my family though, not so awesome,” she said and I smirked, “I love them, but damn are they nuts.”

I laughed and shook my head, “Trust me, I know the feeling.”

“I’m sure you do,” she giggled and then looked at the time, “Well, I’d better go, you look like you can use a nap anyways.”

“Pat’s already upstairs napping,” I said and then sighed, “Coach worked us hard at practice today, he wants us ready for tomorrow’s game.”

“You play the Flames, right?” she asked and I nodded my head, “Eh, you’ll be fine.”

“I know, I have confidence in our team,” I giggled.

“Good, well my dear, thank you for watching Troy,” we gave each other a small hug, “I love you, Mags, now get some sleep.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice,” I giggled and looked at Troy, “Goodbye my little muffin face,” I giggled and then kissed his face.

I walked Emma and Troy out of the house, to her car and watched her drive off. I walked into the house, locked the doors, smiled down at my three dogs who were lying in the living room, and then proceeded to walk upstairs towards my bedroom.

It’s been two days since Pat’s drunken incident, the team knew that I wasn’t happy, but they also knew that I wasn’t pissed either. Pat and I were all right, I was still on shaky grounds with him, but we were fine. Tomorrow morning we flew to Calgary to play the Flames that night and then continued on a six game road trip.

I walked into my room, saw Pat already on his stomach asleep, I gave a small smirk, pulled off my shirt and pants and walked over towards the bed. Unclasping my bra and then tossing it to the side, I picked up one of Pat’s hawks shirt and threw it on. I loved that it was big on me and went down to my thighs, and also for the fact that it smelled like him. I climbed into bed next to pat and then snuggled up next to him, wrapping my arm around his back and kissed his shoulder. I heard him groaned and tilted my head up to see his bright blue eyes looking at me.

“Hi,” he said and I gave him a small smile.

“Hi.”

“Emma come?” he asked and I nodded my head, “So we’re alone?”

“Yes,” I said and Pat pushed himself up and then climbed on top of me. I giggled as he pushed me onto my back and pinned my wrist to the bed, “Pat.”

“I love you, Mags,” he breathed as he leaned down and pressed his lips against mine.

“I love you too, Pat,” I breathed against his lips as his hands moved to my hips and I brought my hands up and cupped his face.

I felt his fingers glide down my hips, to my thighs and to the hem of my shirt, or really his shirt. Pat raised the shirt to my stomach and I groaned when our tongues battle and I felt his skin on mine.

I was surprised when I felt Pat pull back, I opened my eyes and looked at him to see him staring down at me. I called out his name and saw him looking at me sadly, “Maggie,” he sighed, “I know you’re still angry with me- Or disappointed,” he said and I just bit the inside of my lip, “I just want you to know that I am truly sorry and promise you that I will never do that again. I love you and only you and I’m embarrassed with myself that I let it happen.”

“Thank you,” I said and he nodded his head, “I love you too, Pat.”

“I want to make you happy, Mags,” he said and then quickly kissed me, “I have to keep the future, Mrs. Kane happy.”

“Oh yes,” I giggled, “I’m not a nice person to be around when I’m not.”

“No, you’re not,” Pat chuckled and I gasped and playfully slapped him, “But I still love you.”

“Suck up!”

“You love it!”

“Yeah right!” I scoffed and he smirked, leaned down and pressed his lips against mine and then pulled back to lean his forehead against mine.

“I love you, Mags.”