Status: Currently in the works.

Playing With Fire

Chapter Fourteen

The next day started with the Edward, Bella, Jacob, Renesmee, Paul and Kitten all gathering together to go gather the first witnesses that they would need. Their cousins in Denali, after all it was their sister that had gotten them in this much trouble. They would need them on their side and kitten was going with to make sure that nothing went wrong and that not one attacked the young child that sat next to her in the car and well Paul… he didn’t go anywhere without his imprint. This was going to be the hardest part of this whole thing. Gathering witnesses convincing them Renesmee was born and not bitten, and that Kitten was on their side.

People needed to see that Kitten wasn’t as evil as her father she was simply there to protect the little girl that had been birthed by Bella and was just as good as Princess was. Princess and Embry had gone with Rose and Emmett to gather other witnesses. Arriving at the Denali’s Kitten could feel the nerves radiating off Renesmee she didn’t understand what was going on as she was young. It wasn’t fair to expect her to know what was going on. Edward got out of the car first. He walked over to the Denali family and started to ask them a favor. To let them explain after all it was their sisters fault they were in this mess.

They readily agreed to hear Edward out but when Renesmee stepped out of the car they all demanded he get that thing out of here. Bella and Edward begged them to just give her a chance to explain and they did. They allowed the small child to show them what she loved to show people the first memory she ever had of Bella and Edward. The day she was born. The Denali clan all watched her vision before smiling and asking what Edward needed from there.

“There’s one more twist to this whole thing,” Edward sighed. “I’m asking you to be my witness but I can’t do that in good conscious without introducing you to another person,” He looked warily back at the car and nodded. Paul climbed out first.

“Another Wolf?” Tanya question “why?” She paused and watched as Kitten climbed from the car her hair flowing behind her. She was beautiful, her beauty surpassed the average vampire beauty. She was a weapon and she was made to draw you in like nothing else in the world. She was made to draw even the oddest of creatures to her. She was just absolutely stunning. Tanya however recognized Kitten and hissed drawing back and getting ready to protect the child.

“Kitten,” Kate hissed. They’d recalled the night she’d showed up to aid Aro in the destruction of her mother and the immortal child she’d created. “What is she doing here? And with a wolf?” Kate protectively stood in front of her family ready to try and shock Kitten if needed. Kitten walked forward reaching and lacing her fingers with Paul feeling anxious.

“I’m not here to cause harm to anyone,” She spoke up looking to Kate and her family. “I’m here to protect Renesmee from my father,” She looked to Paul as Kate stepped forward Paul stepped in front of her body shaking his head and letting out a growl in warning.

“Prove it? Since when have you ever been good, you are just like your father heartless,” Tanya spat shaking her head and Paul let out another low growl but Kitten simply pulled him back so Kate didn’t electrocute him.

“I’m the only one that can protect her, They haven’t broken any laws. I stand by the laws of the book I do not go by what I wish to happen unlike my father,” Kitten kept her tone even as she looked at the Denali family. “I regret causing you the pain that I did, but immortal children are against the written law,” She gently stroked a hand down Paul’s back shaking her head. “Though I’d love to feed Edward to Aro for committing a crime there is not a crime committed,” She admitted.

“If you don’t believe her, Renesmee can show you all the wonderful things Princess and Kitten have already done” Bella suggested and Kate nodded leaning down and allowing the young child to project her memories onto her. She pulled away and looked at Kitten shocked.

“Not only are you telling the truth, You have fallen in love with a wolf?” Kate looked in awe at Kitten as she held Paul as close as she possibly could to warn the other vampires to stay away from him. Uncertain to if they were friendly with the wolves or not and she wouldn’t lose Paul she simply could not allow that to happen.

“Who I have fallen in love with does not matter. What matters is that I will do the right thing and I need witnesses who will observe and understand that I will do what I must to protect the Cullen clan and those who support them,” The hybrid looked around the family and Bella smiled slightly, Jacob picked Renesmee back up into his arms and looked at the vampires.

“We will stand behind Carlisle and his family,” Carmen spoke up. “it’s the right thing to do,” Edward thanked them and told them he’d meet them back at the house they had many more people to gather.

Most Vampires reactions were the same afraid of Renesmee and then even more frightened when Kitten stepped out of the car. Though most understood and trusted her there were a few that showed up at the house that had it out for Kitten. They didn’t like her and she knew if it came to war they would try to kill her first. She really hoped it didn’t come to that because she would hate to see any lives lost over this issue.

By the end of the week the house was stuffed with vampires, mostly blood sucking vampires that had to be kept away from Renesmee and Princess for fear they might try to feed off them. Kitten was cautious as she moved around as well aware of the death sentence some of them wanted upon her. It was difficult being in a house where death was wanted upon you but she understood why they wanted her dead. After all she was Aro’s daughter and Aro had done many unkind things to these vampires in the past.

“Everyone hates you,” Jacob hummed as he stepped out of the house joining Kitten outside in the crisp night air. He looked around at the trees listening to the sounds of the animals moving about. Kitten didn’t even turn to look at him. She knew he was just going to irritate her that’s what he and Edward always did. It wasn’t like she had much of a say in it. She couldn’t cause him harm because she didn’t want to harm Nessie like that. She had experienced the pain of your imprint hurting and she didn’t want the young child to go through that. She was slowly learning just to put up with Jacob.

“I know they do,” She glanced towards him before looking away and at the stars in the sky. She could hear the rumbling of voices from inside the house. “Not all of them but a good majority of them, yes” She added shrugging her shoulders as her vibrant eyes glowed in the dark night. Jacob kicked a rock towards her before letting out a heavy sigh.

“Why? You are doing a good thing for Nessie. Why hate you?” He questioned as he neared her slightly. Paul was out on duty running with Seth and Leah so he wasn’t too afraid to get near Kitten. She turned to face him curiosity clear in her eyes.

“Why do you care?” She retorted not feeling like picking through his brain to figure out the true intentions to why he was out here and why he wanted to know why the whole world seemed to hate her lately. Or at least the part of the world that happened to be in the Cullen’s house.

“Because, You are saving my mate. You are putting your life on the lines for the Cullen’s, you don’t have to do any of that, Alice had a vision of what would happen if you choose not to fight,” He continued. “I’d get away safely with Renesmee, though there would be vampire casualties including your father and most of the guard, but other than that. Renesmee would die. So you can’t lie and tell me you are doing this for her anymore,” Jacob looked at her curiously.

“The Cullen’s would die Jacob, the majority of the people that came to witness would die. Innocent vampires who are mated for life would lose their loved ones,” She paused and looked at the ground. “That’s not an agony I would wish on any one Jacob,” She kicked the dirt lightly before sitting down and digging her hands into the gravel beneath her using her powers to bend the dirt into slight shapes just to entertain her.

“How come they don’t see you that way?” He asked as he sat down next to her on the ground watching as she played in the dirt much like a child would. Kitten let out the saddest laugh Jacob had ever heard and he wanted to hug her and that was a strange emotion for someone who had hater her himself.

“My father has done many bad things. He does things by emotion not by law. They see me as his ‘daughter’ and assume I am just like him,” She squeezed her eyes shut. “I’m not as heartless as he is. I am driven by what is right and my heart,” She explained shaking her head as the dirt swam around her finger tips like water.

“Alice has seen what happens if you decide to fight, You do know that right? Are you really prepared to go through with that?” Jacob looked at her sadly and Kitten let out a bitter laugh shaking her head. She’d seen Alice’s vision and she knew what was going to happen. She didn’t need a future teller to break the news to her.

“I know, I will do what is right. If that is the right thing to do then that’s exactly what will happen, “ Though she spoke with authority in her voice there was a certain level of agony spreading through her that even Jacob could see and it caused him pain to just look at her. He opened his mouth to respond but the howling of the Wolves signaled that there was something wrong. Kitten let the dirt fall flat at her finger tips and looked at Jacob.

“What’s going on?” He stood up with her and she shook her head putting her finger to her lips to hush him as she listened. Her eyes darkened as she looked towards the woods.

“Stay here, Protect the house get Embry out here. Keep Princess in the house,” that was the only direction she gave before she raced into the woods leaving Jacob mildly confused and worrying that something was deathly wrong.