Story of a Girl

Mr.Responsible

All day, Zacky's been doing nothing except trying to comport me. It should be the other way around, I mean he was the one punched in the face. Even though my brother's pissed, I don't regret any of this. I think Zack got up to get more ice, his eye's pretty swollen. I wish he'd come back though. I close my eyes and just think...what if I AM pregnant? Suddenly a blanket falls over my shoulders. I open my eyes and look to the left of me. Zack.

"Hey." He says.

"Hey." I sigh.

"How ya doing?" Zacky asks.

"I'm better now that your here." I say scooting closer to him.

"Ha...thanks." Zacky says.
"What were you thinking about before?" He asks.

"About the future. Zack...what if I'm really pregnant?" I ask.

"I don't know...it's your body. What do you want?" He says.

"Abortion is out of the question...I'd guess we're raise the kid...or try." I say.

"I don't want you doing this alone..." Zacky says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I don't want you to end up being a single mom trying to raise a kid while the dad is too busy being a fuck up." Zacky says.

"Zack..." I say.

"If your pregnant, I want you to marry me. I don't care if you say no...I don't want you raising a kid alone." Zacky says.

"That's really sweet. Of course the answer is yes, you act as if I would say no." I say.
"What if I'm not pregnant?" I ask.

"Then we'll see what happens." Zacky says.

"Ok." I say.
"I'm glad your looking out for me. Not every guy would be so responsible." I say.

"Yeah...that's me Mr.Responsible." Zacky says.

"Yeah." I say rolling my eyes.

I look at him and snuggle against his warm chest. He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me closer. He just holds me, it makes me feel that every thing's going to be alright. Matt starts down the hall way. He stops and throws a small box on the bed.

"Whats this?" I ask.

"A pregnancy test, now go." Matt says.

"No matter what happens in there...I'm here for you OK? Zacky says.

I nod my head and pick up the small box. Slowly I make my way to the bathroom. I take the plastic stick that could decide my future out of the box and read the instructions making sure that I get an accurate reading. I take a deep breath and do my business.
I open the door, the test in hand.

"So..." Zacky asks.

" I don't know...we have to wait a couple minutes." I say.

"Do you know now?" Zacky asks.

"You just asked." I say.

"Sorry...I'm anxious to know." Zacky says.

I lean against the wall and stare at the screen no larger then an inch wide. No matter what the test reads, a lot of shit is going to happen.

"How about now..." Zacky asks.

"Zack..." I say.

"Sorry..." He says hanging his head.

"Wait a minute..." I say.

I return my gaze to the screen. Slowly an image starts to pop up. I keep forgetting to breathe. Zacky walks over and looks over my shoulder.

"This is it." He says.

I let out a sigh of relief when the negative sigh pops up. I'm not pregnant. I look up at Zack he looks a lot more relaxed then before.

"So whats the deal?" Matt asks.

"I'm not pregnant." I say showing him the test.

"Good." Matt says.

What? No apology? He already made up with Val, but still nothing to Zacky or I. He punched him in the face for heaven's sake. I'm glad he's more calm, but I can still tell hes mad at the both of us.