Story of a Girl

It ends tonight

Tonight we're at a night club back home in Orange County. I was dancing with Val, Michelle, Leana, and Lacy a little while ago, but I needed a drink. I sit with the guys, guess their not up for dancing tonight. It ends tonight by The All-American Rejects blasts from the speakers. I sit back and enjoy the song.

The walls start breathing
My minds unweaving
Maybe it’s best you leave me alone.
A weight is lifted
On this evening
I give the final blow.


"Do...Do you wanna dance?" Zacky asks putting his hand on my thigh.

"Yeah...I, I would." I say taking his hand and standing up.

I follow Zacky to an open space on the dance floor. I put my arms around his neck and he does the same to my waist. After a couple moments of just staring into each others eyes, Zacky breaks the awkward silence.

"You look really nice tonight." Zacky says.

"You don't think a dress is overdoing it?" I ask.

"Not at all. You look pretty pretty." Zacky says.

"Well thank you." I say turning a bit red.

When the song ends I bring my arms to my side. Zacky swings his arms form my wist. We just stand there until another song comes on. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Nick, Val, time 2 go. It's getting L8 -M.

"Ah...stupid brother. Listen Zack, I gotta go." I say.

"Do you really?" He asks.

"Yeah, Matt says so and until I get a car, he's my ride." I say.

"Well, alright. I might as well head home too." Zacky says.

"Ok, bye." I say.

On my way out I meet Val, the message was sent to her too. We walk out together and meet Matt outside. Usually he isn't so controlling, must be that time of month. Val, being the most sober, drives.

"I saw you dance with Zacky..." Matt says.

"You did?" I ask feeling a bit worried about what he's about to say.

"Yeah. Don't let it get to your head. Brian dared him to do it." Matt says.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah. Just thought you should know." Matt says.

Val shoots him a glance and mumbles something under her breath. The rest of the car ride is filled with silence except for Matt's Gun's and Roses CD. When we get home, I got to my room. I look in the mirror, take out my stud earrings, and place them in a box. Then I just look at myself in the mirror, I can't believe that it was a dare. I get undressed and change into my pajama's. Maybe I should call him. Would I seem too despite? carefully I dial Zacky's number.

"Hello?" He asks.

"Hey." I say.

"Nick, is that you?" Zacky asks putting more enthusiasm in his voice.

"Yeah, it's me." I say.

"Why did you call?" Zacky asks.

"Just wanted to say that I had a good time tonight." I say.

"Me too." Zacky says.

"Did you really? Matt told me Brian dared you to dance with me." I say.

"What? Where did he get that Idea?" Zacky asks.

"I don't know. So it wasn't a dare?" I ask.

"No." Zacky says.
"Nikki, I'm crazy about you. I'm fucking crazy about you." Zacky says.

"Really?" I ask.

"The truth is that...I lo..." Zacky says getting cut off.

"Zack? Zacky?" I ask.

The connection was lost, which is weird, I'm on a land line. I place the phone back on the charger and walk out to the living room. Matt's in the arm chair with this mornings paper. Val's flipping though the channels.

"Hey Matt, I was talking to Zack and...." I say.

"I know..." Matt says.

"And the connection was lost." I say.

"Check the cable." Matt says.

I walk over to the wall where the phone cable lays neatly on the floor.

"It's cut in half." I say.

"Must have been a mouse." Matt says.

"It's a clear cut, it looks like it was done with scissors." I say.

"Why would someone cut the phone cable." Matt says.

"I don't know...but it definitely wasn't an animal." I say.

I walk back to my room. What was Zacky starting to say before he was cut off. I go up to my door and put my ear against it.

"You know that you'll have to pay someone to fix that." Val says.

"It was worth it." Matt says.

"Matt, you have no idea how stupid this is." Val says.

"I'm protecting my sister." Matt says.

"Whatever." Val says.