The Untouchables

Another Chapter That's Entirely Made Out Of A Single Long Ass Scene

Over the course of the next week, the boys bully Frank more aggressively than ever.

Once, on his way to class, Gerard spots the three boys leaving the bathroom, looking around cautiously yet failing to spot Gerard. Gerard dashes into the bathroom, to see Frank kick open a stall from the inside, emerging from within it with his dark hair sopping wet and clinging to his forehead and cheeks.

Gerard offers a broken smile, reminding,

“This will all be over after this week.”

Frank exhales sharply, grumbling, “Well I sure wish Friday would come sooner.”

Frank ends up hanging out with Ray at Gerard’s house Thursday, just one day until the fight. They’re discussing the terms; who will get who, what strikes to perform, and what not to do, when there’s a loud sneeze just outside of Gerard’s door.

Gerard gives a dramatic sigh, calling out, “Mikes, we heard you. Come in.”

Gerard’s younger brother, a lanky twelve year old with thick glasses, shuffles in, closing the door quietly behind him.

“How much did you hear?” Gerard demands.

“All of it,” Mikey answers.

“I swear to God, if you tell Mom, I am going to kill you,” Gerard threatens.

“I won’t tell,” Mikey promises, extending his pinky finger. As Gerard shakes it, Mikey continues, “I just want to know why you’re fighting them.”

Gerard narrows his eyes, untrusting. “It’s none of your damn business.”

“You can tell me,” Mikey assures. “I won’t tell anyone.”

“Bullshit!” Gerard scoffs. “You’re just a kid, you’ll go and tell Pete or some other temporary friend as soon as you’re told!”

Mikey clenches his fists, barking, “Listen, Pete and I aren’t even friends anymore!”

“What- what happened?” Gerard asks. Pete’s been Mikey’s best friend since the first grade.

“I tried to kiss him, and he hates me for it! I’m gay and the whole school knows, and I’ve been depressed about it for years! I’ve been through shit beyond my years, so don’t dish out that “I’m just a kid shit” because it’s not fucking true because my childhood came and went a long time ago!” Mikey cries, tears welling in his eyes.

Gerard is speechless for about a minute. Frank sits, staring at the floor, and Ray twiddles his thumbs. Finally, Gerard manages to mumble, “Mikes…”

“Yeah, there’s a lot more to your younger brother than you thought! You were just too self-absorbed to notice! And if after learning this, you still think I’m ‘just a kid’, then you can go fuck yourself!” Mikey cuts in. He starts to sob, putting his fists to his forehead and hitting himself.

“Mikey, don’t do that,” Gerard comforts. “Sit down, it’s okay.”

Mikey sits on the end of Gerard’s bed, and Gerard hugs his younger sibling. Gerard turns to Frank, questioning,

“Is it okay with you if I tell him?”

“Yeah,” Frank replies softly, eyes still fixed to the floor.

Gerard starts, “Look, Mikes, I know that you’re not as shallow as I thought, but still, you have to promise me you won’t tell anyone.”
Mikey nods, wiping his eyes with his forearm. “I promise.”

“Frank’s been getting bullied,” Gerard confides. “And these kids just won’t leave him alone. So, we’re just going to fight with them so they’ll stop.”

Mikey’s quiet, and for a moment all three of the older boys are afraid that he’s contemplating whether or not he’s going to tell someone. Mikey’s maturity is underestimated, because all he does is ask,

“Are you sure that this is the best way to go about it?”

“What do you mean?” Ray urges.

“Well, we’re learning about Gandhi. Do you think that if they started picking on Frank in public, like at school, and he just stood there and took it, that they would eventually stop, someone would help, or that a teacher would see?” Mikey suggests.

Gerard shakes his head. “No dice, little bro. You see, when you don’t fight back, it doesn’t make the aggressors want to stop. It just leaves you defenseless.”

“What about someone helping or a teacher noticing?” Mikey retorts.

Frank responds, “I was given a wedgie in that hallway. No one helped; all of the kids just stood there and laughed, and no teachers seemed to care enough to poke their heads out of their rooms for two seconds to assess the situation.”

“So… so you’re going to fight them?” Mikey says in a small voice.

“Mikey, we’re doing the right thing here,” Gerard informs.

“Well, I know but…” Mikey hesitates. “I don’t want to see you get hurt, Gerard, or any of your friends, for that matter.”

“We won’t get hurt,” Gerard remarks. “we’ll be fine; don’t worry about us.”

“Can I help?” Mikey offers.

“Nooooo,” Gerard groans. “Mikes, you’re twelve. One of these guys is seventeen, and I don’t think he’d show any remorse after beating our ass to the ground.”

“Then what can I do?!” Mikey responds angrily.

“Nothing!” Gerard barks. “just stay home and keep your mouth shut!”

Mikey scowls, sauntering out of the room gradually. He slams the door, and Ray whispers,

“You got kind of mean there. He just wanted to help,”

“I know,” Gerard sighs, rubbing his temples “I can’t take it. It’s just been a shit week and this is a shit situation and I’m so done with dealing with shit.”

“You think I’m not?!” Frank shouts. “I got my head stuck in a fucking toilet the other day, and you’re complaining about how you can’t take anymore.”

“I didn’t mean it like that!” Gerard snaps.

Frank looks hurt, and he folds his arms, brows furrowed. Oh shit, not only is he hurt, but he’s something Gerard’s never seen Frank be before. Frank Anthony Iero is pissed.

“Frank, come on,” Gerard begs. “I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to yell at you.”

Frank remains pouting, so Gerard adds,

“And I suppose that it was rude to say that I couldn’t take anymore when you’re the one being bullied. I’m sorry.”

Frank uncrosses his arms, and wrings his hands instead. “It’s okay. I know you didn’t mean it like that. I’m on edge, too.”

“So who’s ready to kick their asses tomorrow so there’s no more outbursts like that?” Ray cheers.

Frank laughs, and Gerard chuckles himself. “Yeah, I guess I am, Toro.”

“Oh, I definitely am!” Frank chirps. “I am so ready to get these kids to fucking stay away from me!”

“Has anyone considered the possibility that it won’t work?” Gerard realizes.

They’re quiet for a long time, and finally, Frank says,

“I guess that failure was never an option.”