Status: Expect slow updates. I work full time... and I'm lazy. :)

Midnight Flight

Comfort

After several hours of tossing and turning, Raven jolted awake from her sleep. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment. Starfire. She thought. Without hesitation, she popped out of bed and headed for the door.
When Raven opened the door to Starfire’s room, she was immediately greeted by the sight of her writhing violently and yelling Tamaranean words of protest in between her grunts of pain. The covers were pushed on to the floor, and she seemed to be wrestling against an invisible figure.

“Starfire!” Raven shouted as she zoomed to grasp her arms and hold them down.

“Slopforn ivortmat! Slopforn! Ond gudshik zerrole!” She continued while trying to shove Raven away. Raven stood her ground and tightened her hold on Starfire’s forearms as her eyes began to emit a silvery glow. Starfire slowly stopped fighting and fell back against her pillow breathing heavily. A few moments later, her eyes flew open.

“Starfire‒”

“Raven?” She asked. Not giving her time to respond, Starfire lunged herself into her friend’s arms, weeping heavily. Raven, completely uncomfortable with the situation, wrapped her arms hesitantly around her and sat on the edge of her bed.

“It’s alright. It was just a dream.”

“It was not just a dream, it was not! It was real, so very real!” She sobbed loudly as she buried herself into Raven’s neck.

“I know. I was having the same dream.”

“Oh,” Starfire blabbed dramatically. “Raven, forgive me. I did not mean to deprive you of sleep... and I did not wish for you to see...” She said as she continued to sob.

“It’s okay.” She said in the softest voice she could muster.

“And I know you do not feel comfortable with the embracing, but please do not let go.” Starfire begged as tears cascaded down her face and onto Raven’s leotard. Raven inwardly groaned in annoyance but held her tighter nevertheless. Not a moment later, Starfire’s door slid open again. There in the doorway stood a messy-haired green boy, eyes half shut and a hand scratching the back of his neck.

“What?” Raven demanded at once when Starfire did not turn to look at him but continued her crying.

“Uh, I was on my way to bathroom and I thought I heard noises, and again when I was on my way back to bed, so I listened against the door and I heard Star crying, so...” He sputtered. Raven sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Well then get over here already.” She droned.

Beast Boy wasted no time in transforming into the kitten that Starfire so adored. He padded his way over to them and leapt up onto the bed into Starfire’s arms. Raven was glad to release Starfire in order for her to hold him properly. While she went to retrieve the covers, Starfire lay back down and held the kitten tight. Raven draped the sheets and comforter over her shaking body, ignoring the eyes Beast Boy was giving her, asking for an explanation. He made a soft mew, and Raven shook her head and gave him a fiery look which implied “not now”. Beast Boy narrowed his eyes at her before nuzzling against Starfire’s neck and face, purring softly.

“Please do not leave me, friends. I am in need of the comforting.” She gasped as she tried to slow her sobbing. Beast Boy continued his snuggling while Raven sat on the bed next to her feet.

“Alright. Starfire, I want you to close your eyes,” Raven began. Starfire obeyed. “Now, concentrate on Beast Boy’s breathing. Try to match it.” Beast Boy looked at Raven in recognition before staring to take slow, even breaths. “While you’re doing that, listen, and focus on my voice. Nothing else. Alright?” Trying to cease her gasping and sobbing, she nodded and held Beast Boy close. Raven began her chant in a slow, soothing voice. “Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos.”
Starfire’s breathing had finally returned to normal and she had fallen back to sleep in about the twenty sixth cycle of the chant. Raven stopped at thirty.

“I’m going to bed.” She said dryly as she stood up. “You’re staying here, I take it?” She asked, looking at Beast Boy. He gave her a sharp nod before nuzzling into Starfire’s neck once more and began to purr. “Good. Don’t say anything about this when she wakes up. I’ll explain later.” She demanded before opening the door.

Raven only had one foot outside of Starfire’s room before everything started flashing red and a loud, menacing beep surrounded them. Raven sighed angrily. Starfire’s eyes popped open immediately. She quickly sat up while letting Beast Boy go only to end up clutching her aching head. Beast Boy, who changed back into his human self, turned to Starfire.

“Maybe you should stay here, Star.”

“No,” She said firmly, swinging her legs out of bed. “I am quite able to‒”

“Beast Boy’s right. You should stay here and get some sleep.” Raven told her. Starfire shook her head solemnly.

“I cannot. I do not wish to. Not ever again.”

“I still think you should stay here. You’re in no condition to‒”

“Well hey, yall.” The three titans looked at Starfire’s open door to find Cyborg poking his head in. “Party in Starfire’s room? And Cyborg’s not invited?” He joked before laying his eyes on Starfire’s puffy face and red eyes. His face fell immediately. “Starfire, what’s wrong?” Suddenly, Robin’s voice echoed from all four of their communicators.

“Where is everyone? Didn’t you hear the alarm? Get up here!”

“Yeah, yeah, we’re coming.” Came Beast Boy’s angry reply.

“Star?” Cyborg pressed. Raven looked at her expectantly.

“I am accompanying you whether you wish me to or not.” She said defiantly before stalking past them.

“Uh, well okay then!” Cyborg said. “Let’s get a move on!”