Status: I try to update once a week :) comment please

Letters

"Nothing"

We went back to yours, and we sat on the couch. I started a movie. We sat next to each other, way too uncomfortable to act like a normal couple. We were more two best friends than two lovers, at the moment. It was awkward, but I didn't know what to do. You were sad, and trying your best to not let it show. You were once again trying to be the 'cool guy'.

Around the middle of the movie, I came closer, taking your hand in mine. You turned your head to me, a small smile on your lips. I wrapped my arms around you, resting my head against your shoulder. You turned a bit to face me, and hugged me back.

"He's going to be okay, Alan." I told you.

"What if he isn't?" I could heard the pain, and the fear in your voice.

"He's going to. I promise." You hugged me close, and buried your face in my neck.

I stroked your hair. "How about we go to sleep?" You only nodded.

We stood up, and I took your hand, and led you to your room.

I had already seen you in your underwear, but that day, it was making me blushing. We weren't best friends anymore, we were boyfriend and girlfriend. I took one of your shirt, and pulled it over my own underwear. I wrapped us under the cover. You hugged me again, and I pulled your head against the top of my chest, against my neck. You sniffed, not moving. I stroked your hair, until I heard your breath even. I kissed your forehead, and rested my head against yours, and fell asleep.

The next morning was one of the hardest in my whole life. We were siting in the living room, the two phones on the table, in front of the couch. The two with their ring at the top of the speaker, in case the hospital or Gielle would call. We could do anything, our mind was consumed by thoughts. I think we looked like two zombies walking around.

You were resting your head on your hands, worried. You were probably remembered your memories with him, and swearing to yourself how much he couldn't die, since he was so important to you.

For me, I was doing the same, and telling myself how I was afraid I was going to live the same. I hated the idea of you in the same state, but over me. Or Austin as hurt as I was. It broke my heart.

But what could I do? I couldn't run away again. I loved you, I didn't want to be without you. It broke my heart, you know. I didn’t know what to do. There was what I wanted, and what I should probably do. Which one to choose?

Around noon, I made some pasta. I wasn't in the mood to really cook. We ate in silence. We knew the surgery could take some hours, so we waited in silence. We went back to the couch. You laid down, resting your head on my legs. I stroked your hair without thinking.

Suddenly, your phone ringed. You stood up, and answered in less than a second. Your hands were almost shaking. You knew the phone call would told you if he was alive... Or not.

"It's me." You told the other person. I bit my lip, waiting. And I saw the biggest smile ever growing on your face.

"When can we go see him?" You asked.

He was alive.

You hung up, and looked at me. You didn't say a word, none of up needed it. You only opened your arms for me, and I jumped on you. We held each other close, until you pulled away to kiss lovingly me on the lips. We were smiling like crazy as we pulled away.

"How about we go?" I told you. You nodded fast, then took my hand to lead me to the car.

In less than 20 minutes, we were walking quickly through the hospital, to go to Austin's room.

We knocked and heard the voice we wanted the most to ear, telling us to come inside. Smiling, we opened the door. I ran to him, and hugged him close. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me.

"I've never been that happy to see you two."

You smiled to him, and you shook his hand, but I saw something weird in your eyes. Gielle was there, and smiled to us. You didn't acknowledged her presence. But none of us dared say a word. The room was tensed. You seemed weird, and Not in the mood to talk to anyone.

"How are you feeling, today?" I asked him, trying to act like everything was normal.

In fact I was really worried about you. I didn’t understood why you were acting that way.

"As good as I can. And you two?" He said, with a smile, asking me what you were doing by his look.

I shrugged. "As good as we can, knowing our best friend just had surgery." I smiled. I hugged him again. "We were so worried."

He smiled. "Sorry to make you worry." He looked at all of us. He had a big smile on his face. "I’m happy to still be there." He smiled to Gielle, and she answered with a big one.

"Gielle, can I talk to you?" You coldly asked her.

Austin frowned, as she nodded, and you walked outside. We followed you with our eyes.

"What’s going on?" I asked.

He rested his head against the pillow. "Alan’s believing Gielle cheated on me. I don’t think so, you know, we love each other, and she would never, she’s my wife after all. She had been a bit… away, lately, but I’m sure she’s back, now."

I nodded. "Maybe that’s why he’s so… weird, since we’re here."

"Probably."

"How long are you staying there?" I asked him.

"Two weeks. I hope a little less, if I'm good enough, through."

I nodded.

You and Gielle walked back in, your faces expressionless. You rested your back against the wall, your arms crossed. You seemed tensed.

"We should continue recording, after I come home." Austin told you, trying to make you talk, or relax, a bit.

"Sure." You said, ending any discussion.

We stayed in an uncomfortable silence until a nurse opened the door.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Carlile?" she asked nicely.

He smiled. "Well, I’m good. It hurts, but it’s okay."

"Okay, I’m gonna come back in some minutes, to gave you some painkillers, if you need."

"Yeah, thanks." He nodded.

He would never tell how he was suffering, but I’m pretty sure he was in real pain. And you weren't doing anything to make it better.

Your phone ringed. "Sorry" you said as you walked out.

"What were you talking about?" Austin asked Gielle.

She shrugged. "Nothing. He’s just weird today, I guess."

Austin frowned. "You can tell me, you know."

She took a deep breath. "He believe I've cheated on you, I don’t know why. You’re not believing it too, right?" She asked, worry in her voice.

"I trust you, Babe." Austin smiled.

"Me too, Aus. He just told me to not fuck with you, and all. But I don’t really understand."

"He’s just weird since we got here. I don’t really know why."

"Me neither." Austin said. It was obvious that he was hurt by the way you were acting.

You walked back inside. "I’m sorry, it was an old friend who called me to tell me he’s back here. He wants to met you all, since he’s pretty much a fan of Of Mice."

Austin smiled. "I’ll met him whenever I’m out."

For the first time since we were in the hospital, you smiled wide.

The nurse came back inside, smiling as gently as always.

"I’m sorry, but the visits are closing, Mr. Carlile need to rest."

"You can call me Austin, you know?" He laughed a bit, but stopped as it hurt.

"I’ll try, Mr. Anyway, I’m gonna ask you to leave, but you can come back tomorrow morning, and afternoon."

I nodded, and we walked out, and then to the car, without a word. We drove back home, as I was staring at the window.

"I hope he’s going to be okay." I said.

You didn't answered.

"Why are you like that?" I told you, turning to look at you. You were staring at the road, your hand crisped on the wheel. You didn’t say a word. You parked in before the building you lived in, and walked out, to the elevator. I followed you, and we waited in silence for it to go to your floor. We walked out, and you opened your door. I went inside, and turned to you.

"Alan What’s going on?"

"Nothing." You said, your jaw clenched.

I took a deep breath. "I have no idea what’s going on, but I know it’s not at all ‘nothing’. But I hope you aren’t going to stay that way a long time. Austin doesn’t need that."

You looked away. "Yeah, Austin doesn’t need that." You whispered. I frowned.

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing."

"Can you actually tell me?"

"No."

I stared at you, wondering what the fuck had happened.

"My friend, Justin, wants me to meet him, tonight."

I frowned. "If you want to…" I said, not really knowing what to say. You weren’t asking anything, just telling me.

"He wants to meet my girlfriend."

"Alan… I’m not really in the mood to go…"

"Right, you’ve got Austin to see, tomorrow." You whispered. I stared at you.

"What the fuck was that?"

"Justin wants to meet my girlfriend, tonight. Are you coming?"

I froze. You weren’t only asking if I was coming.

"Alan, what are you asking me?"

"You’ve heard me."

"okay, okay I’m coming." I didn’t wanted you to be any worst. You seemed bad, so okay, I was going to go, even if I really didn’t wanted to.

You nodded, with a small smile.

"When are we going?" I asked.

"Whenever you want."

I shrugged. "If we go now, it means we will be home sooner, so I guess I want to go now."

You looked away, and nodded.

You took your phone out, and called the guy.

"Yeah, Justin? How about we go to a pub, like, now?" Silence. "Okay, then, see you, mate." You hung up. Without any other words, you walked outside. I followed you to the car, and you drove to some shitty pub, in dead silence.

"Heey! Alan! It’s been fucking forever!" A guy I had never seen shouted, as he man-hugged you, with a huge smile.

"Hey! How have you been?"

"Great, man, great. Glad to be home." The guy turned to me. "I’m Justin."

"Zoey." I answered with a smile.

"Like Zoey Deschanel?" Justin asked, with a smile. "No wonder why you’re with her." He winked to you, with a laugh.

"Yep, sure!" I said laughing. It was one of your friends, I needed to be a cool girl. II wasn’t going to bitch at him for something like that. Plus I knew you weren’t with me just for that. But somehow, it hurt to notice that you didn’t tell him anything. I knew it was your ‘I’m a cool guy’ side that stopped you, but anyway, I would have liked it if you had.

We walked inside, and I took your hand. I saw a small smile forming on your face, as you held my hand. Is he feeling like I’m ‘away’? Is it just that? I thought. I didn’t know what was going on, but I kept your hands in mine.

We sat at a table, and I sat next to you, Justin in front of us. The two of you started talking, he told you that he had been in New York for almost a year, to work in some concert hall, as a tech. He told you many things about the bands he had met and all, and you told him what had happened to you in the time: Meeting Austin and starting a band and an album. You didn’t say a word about me. I knew you were talking mostly about music, but it felt like I was left on the side. You two were talking like I wasn’t even there.

After a while, Justin finally asked: "And you two? Since how many time you’re together?"

"Like, Yesterday?" You said, laughing. You turned to me. And I saw it again. The love in your eyes. My heart started running. I smiled wide. I had missed that look. You took my hand back in yours.

"Really?"

"Yeah" You said.

I rested my head on your shoulder. Justin smiled.

"Anyway, I’m glad to see you like that. Last time was… weird."

Last time. You never talked about your last girlfriend. And you tensed at the mention of her. I didn't know if you wanted to talk about it, so I didn't asked anything. You had been distant all day, and now that you were back, I wasn't going to do some stupid thing to makes you go away. I wasn't stupid.

*****

The day after, we went back to see Austin, and arrived before Gielle, who ran inside half an hour after the opening of the visits. Her phone didn't woke her up. We stayed all day in the hospital, and the next days too.

I felt like I needed to be with Austin, because he was somehow my best friend, and also because of my own sickness. I probably hoped someone would do the same for me, when I would be in the hospital.

And you, there were day you were the great guy I knew, and sometime you were the jerk. I didn't understood what you were doing. But all my time was taken by taking care of Austin, so I felt like I had other things to think about.

After ten days, Austin was out. I was at his most of the time. Gielle was busy at work, so I came all the time she wasn't there.

One day, you asked me on a small date, just the two of us, on an afternoon. I agreed the second you asked.

The day before, I went to Austin’s. Gielle was out with some of her friends, and would come back in the next day. He wasn't feeling well that day. I’m pretty sure he was wondering if those ‘friends’ she was with were guys or girls.

I stayed up all night trying to cheer him up. We watched two movies, ate our weight in sweets, and we played Xbox until 8 am. We talked a lot, too. About everything. Our sickness, but also many many other things. It was the day we started telling each other everything. And honestly, it was amazing. I had many friends, but I don’t think I've ever had a closer friend than Austin.

And so, we went to sleep around 8 am. He gave me one of his shirt, to sleep in, since I hadn't planned to stay for the night.

I woke up, hearing some noise. My eyes opened hardly. I heard my name being shouted. I stood up, and walked in the living room, still half asleep.

And I saw you. You were a bit dressed up, for our date.

The hurt in your eyes as you saw me walking there was obvious.

"It’s 3."

We had said that you were picking me up at two. I looked down. I saw Austin on the side of the room. He had a guilty expression on his features.

"I-I’m sorry Alan, It’s just… Austin was feeling bad, and he needed to be cheered up" I said, trying to step closer, but you stepped backward.

"Yeah, I’m sure he needed you."

"We can go now, okay? Just let me dress up and I-"

"No, Zoey. That’s okay, I've got the message."

I frowned. "What? What are you talking about?"

"Don’t act innocent. You know exactly what I’m talking about."

"N-No, Alan… what are you…"

"You never came back for me."

I froze. Did you really believed that? Did you really thought I didn't love you?

You turned your back to me before I could think any more. You walked away. It took me some second to register what had just happened, and to start run after you. I ran outside of the house, but you were already at your car. I ran to you, and caught your hand.

"No, Alan, It’s not what you think it is! I-"

"Shut up, Zoey! I’m not blind." With that you pushed me away, and closed the door of the car. You started the engine, and drove away, as I stared at you.

After some minutes, Austin put his hand on my shoulder.

"Come back inside."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here :)
I will not have my laptop for the weekend, or Internet, so I will not be able to post until Tuesday, If I have any time to write during the weekend, and I don't think I will... So sorry!!
Comment, rec and submit :)
P.S.: If you notice mistakes, tell me, I'll correct