Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Sorting It Out.

Vivian let out a nervous laugh at her comment, before replying “I’m so sorry about that, we weren’t expecting Blake today. He works down at the local mechanics. I’ll do my best to make sure it never happens again.”

“And I’ll make sure to never go to that garage,” Miss Jones said dismissively, as Vivian took a seat at the reception desk.

“Could I please get your full name for our records?” Vivian asked, pen at the ready.

“This is a whimsical little inn, isn’t it?” Miss Jones said instead, before taking the pen and paper from Vivian and printing the name Illiana Jones in cursive script.

“Oh, do you think so?” Vivian smiled awkwardly as she reached for the paper, “We thought a simple, low-key traditional style would be the best for the Inn, taking in the environment around it and all.”

“Such a quaint little town, this.. Silverlea, is it?” Illiana asked, smirking back at Vivian, who was grabbing a key for a room.

“That’s right,” Vivian stated placidly as she turned back around to face her, “Would you like to bring your bags inside now, and then we’ll get you to your room?”

“Finally,” Illiana sighed, “I was beginning to think we would never get there.”

“Adam, Harley, could you come here please?” Vivian uttered at a louder volume, “Our new guest would like some help with her bags.”

As the duo came walking through the doorway, Illiana asked “Who are they? Workers?”

“Ah, this is Adam, our gardener, and Harley, the baker’s assistant,” Vivian pointed to the corresponding person as she said their names.

“Don’t you have a concierge?” Illiana questioned, frowning at the “workers.”

“Yeah, we wish,” Harley snorted, scowling at Vivian, before walking down to Illiana’s car with Adam in tow.

Vivian tried to make small talk with Illiana as they waited for her bags, but Illiana moved around the reception instead, looking critically at everything. Vivian watched for a moment, then moved to hold the door open for the bag-carriers when they returned. As they re-entered through the front door weighed down by luggage, Vivian whispered “I’m sorry,” giving them a sad face.

Harley just sighed, and Adam smiled at Vivian, whispering back “It’s fine, what else were you supposed to do?”

Vivian grinned. “Shall we move on?” she directed to Illiana, who was currently inspecting the reception desk for dust.

Illiana just moved to the entrance of the corridor and walked away, leaving the others behind. After looking at each other with raised eyebrows, they rushed to walk behind her.

“Your room is the second on the left,” Vivian said, pointing it out to Illiana so that she would stop in front of the door. Vivian handed Illiana the key for the door, prompting her to unlock and open it.

Illiana moved forward into the room, the others following, and stood still to look at everything. After taking a moment to assess the room, she simply sniffed and stated, “It’ll do, even if it’s a little small.”

“So, what brings you to Silverlea? Seems like a woman of your tastes would prefer a high-rise city rather than a small town,” Harley asked bluntly as she entered the room and put the luggage down, pointing out her high-end clothes as an example of her tastes.

Before Vivian could scold Harley for being so blunt, Illiana began to speak. “Apparently I’ve made a few wrong choices in life, and my parents forced me to take a vacation here to gain a new perspective on my life. I have to sort out what I want to do with my life by the end of it, or my parents will cut me off.”

“Oh,” Vivian replied in shock, “I’m sure Silverlea will provide you with that opportunity.”

Image


The doorbell jingled as Delilah and Isabella stepped into the foyer of Northern Deliveries. A young man with inquisitive green eyes glanced up from behind the counter and shot them a welcoming grin.

“Hey, how can I help you lovely ladies?” the man asked.

Delilah gave him a polite smile, “I’d like to enquire about monthly deliveries from the city,” she explained.

“All right, where would the drop-off be?” he replied, tapping away at the computer.

“The Hummingbird Inn,” Isabella spoke up.

“Ah, I heard that the Inn was back in business, you must be Delilah Lemay, I’m Garret North,” the guy smiled and held his hand out to Delilah for a handshake. She took it and gave him a firm handshake.

“Pleased to meet you,” Delilah responded.

“A monthly run to the city and back is $30. There is a standard service fee of $20, and if you aren’t purchasing from one of our suppliers than that’s also another $20,” Garret explained.

Delilah thought for a moment before nodding her head in thought, “We’ll be getting our supplies from Deluxe Bakers,” she said.

“Great, they’re one of our suppliers, so there shouldn’t be any additional costs. All together you’re looking at $55 a month, so if you just fill out this form we can create an account with you and you can pick your payment method,” Garret placed a clipboard with the appropriate forms on the counter for Delilah, and then added, “More so, as a congratulations for re-opening the Hummingbird Inn, we’ll make your first delivery free.”

Delilah spent a minute taking in all the new information Garret had told her before finally nodding her head and taking the forms and filling them out at the counter. Once done, she handed them back and turned to Isabella, who gave her thanks to Garret at the notion of a free delivery.

“We’re done,” Delilah turned to Garret and gave him an appreciative smile, “thank you for your help.” With a final wave the girls exited the building and headed for Delilah’s car.

As they reached the car and Isabella jumped in, Delilah was interrupted by a voice calling her name. She turned to see Christian walking towards her.

“Hey Christian, finished work already?” Delilah asked, leaning back against her car.

“Finally finished Mr. Harris’ request. I swear, sometimes I think he makes these mistakes on purpose to see us struggle,” Christian sighed, his countenance darkening slightly.

“The struggle is real,” Delilah said, nodding in agreement. “We were sorting out deliveries for the Inn.”

“We?” Christian questioned.

Delilah gives him a mischievous grin as she hears the passenger car door open. “Delilah, what are you doing? Oh, hey Chris!” Isabella came round to the driver’s side and grinned brightly at the both of them.

Silence ensued, with Christian and Isabella looking at each other and Delilah standing there quietly, until she could take it no longer.

“I can’t take all this sexual tension! I’ll be waiting in the car, don’t take too long.”

As Delilah slammed her door, she left Isabella asking, “Wait, what?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we are again, with another chapter of the Hummingbird.
Both Jordypye and I have been extremely busy with university, moving house, and work respectively. However, we've decided that we won't let our busy lives and that we want to get back into updating this more consistently. Thank you for sticking with us so far as we try to sort out our lives.
Rose for reading @};- Jess.