Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

A Playful Presentation.

“Thanks for coming,” Delilah smiled, greeting Blake the next morning as he stepped through the doorway. “I’ve had an idea!”

“When do you not,” Blake rolled his eyes.

“Lilah may have an excessive amount of ideas, that is true,” Vivian started off, then just stopped talking.

“Weren’t you going to say something nice about me?” Delilah prompted.

“Uh, I kind of forgot where I was going with that,” Vivian grinned sheepishly.

“This is why I only love you for the treats you bake,” Delilah assured playfully.

“Didn’t you call us here for an urgent meeting?” Isabella piped up, cutting in before teasing would begin like she’d seen countless times before.

“Well observed, Izzy,” Delilah chirped sarcastically and Isabella pulled a face at her in return. It was missed as Delilah moved to bring out a large board with paper on it. Clearing her throat Delilah extended a pointer and slammed the board, making Christian jolt at the sudden action. “I’ve come up with some ideas and action plans.” Delilah stated proudly, flipping the next page over. It was decorated neatly with ‘Market Day’ drawn across the page. “This is called a Title Page’” Delilah wiggled her eyebrows, flipping to the next page. “This page is for our ideas, I’ve split it into two categories. The now category,” Delilah used her pointer to indicate to the top of the page, “and the future category,” Delilah proceeded to slap the bottom of the paper. Within the first box she had written ‘Flower Crowns’ and ‘Baking’. In the Future Category she had written ‘Hummingbird Inn Paintings’. “Please refrain from kneeling at how awe inspiring I am, I’d just really appreciate some other ideas and suggestions for more stalls at the Market Day this weekend.”

“This is… fucking crazy,” Blake sighed. “You want to hold a market with less than two days to organize it?”

“I’m not interested in people who can’t fix things, I’m interested in people who can solve issues,” Delilah reached out and lightly tapped him on the forehead with the pointer.

“I’m not saying you can’t do it,” Blake pointed out, “just that you’re goddamn nuts for wanting to do this in two days. You need more than two stalls to make a market.”

“Well, Blake, sulky bastard that you are, that is what the ‘now’ column is for,” Delilah slapped the pointer to the top of the paper. “Silly.”

“Why not plants?” Adam suggested. “I could take cuttings from plants that are healthy enough.”

“That is a good idea. I mean, there’s no major garden centre in Silverlea, so there’s a gap in the market.” Delilah swivelled the pointer around to rest before Adam. “But our garden is in no state for it now, so it’s gonna have to go into the ‘future’ category. Still, good thinking though! Celebratory cookie for you,” she reached behind the board and produced a plate of cookies seemingly out of nowhere.

“Those aren’t mine, are they? The ones I made specially for me to eat tonight?” Vivian arched a brow at Delilah.

“What? No. I’m hurt you would even suggest that I would do such a heinous act. But, I would also like to say, on a completely unrelated note, your ones were eaten by the oven. We should really get that looked at. Blake?”

Blake just shook his head at Delilah’s actions, while Vivian looked sadly at the plate of cookies. Adam slowly reached out and took one anyway, mouthing ‘I’m so sorry’ to Vivian. Having taken a bite, he smiled at Vivian. “Your baking is just so good, I can’t say no to taking one when they’re offered.”

Delilah had written ‘Plants’ within the ‘future’ column as Vivian was distracted, now looking for more suggestions.

“Birdhouses?” Christian said uncertainly, flinching back as Delilah swung the pointer right in front of his face.

“Yes!” she cheered but paused, “don’t suppose you’ll have some ready by Saturday?” Delilah questioned.

Christian hesitated for a moment before scratching the back of his head, “yeah.., I mean work is pretty quiet at the moment and birdhouses aren’t hard, I could maybe do about five but I can’t promised to have them painted,” he stated.

“Awesome!” Delilah moved to write birdhouses in the ‘Now’ section. “Any other ideas?” She asked over her shoulder.

“Why not face-paint for some of the little kids?” Harley had a bright smile upon her face. “I loved getting my face painted as a kid at markets and parties.”

“We don’t have to limit it to little kids though,” Delilah said thoughtfully. “I’m sure Blake would love to have a pretty pink unicorn painted onto his face.”

“I hate you,” Blake said quietly.

“No you don’t,” Delilah said gleefully, writing ‘Face-painting’ down. “Isabella, any ideas?” she turned to the quietest one of the group.

“I, uh, I don’t know,” she mumbled, looking down at her hands. “There’s not really anything else I can think of.”

“You could sing!” Christian offered, shrinking back as Isabella sighed.

“That was supposed to be a secret,” Isabella complained, Christian giving Isabella puppy eyes as a way to apologize.

“We’re all friends here, Blake don’t you dare disagree, we are all friends here,” Delilah comforted Isabella. “Your secret is safe with all of us. Having entertainment would really help us out though…” she trailed off hopefully, bring out her own pleading eyes to work their magic on Isabella.

“I guess, maybe, I could give it a go?” Isabella said timidly. “Just for a little bit of time, anyway.”

“Great!” Delilah exclaimed. “So I also did some research and put together a pie chart,” Delilah reached behind the board again and pulled out an actual fruit pie. She grinned stupidly at her own joke as she flipped to the next page of her presentation.

Harley gasped as Vivian leapt out of her seat. “That’s my pie! I baked that for the cafe this morning, are you kidding?! Delilah, are you kidding?!”

Blake just laughed and laughed, the dumb joke really getting to him for some stupid reason.

Delilah smiled softly, absurdly proud in a way that she’d made Blake laugh so hard. Seeing Vivian rounding on her, the feeling faded as she made a break for it. “I”m sorry!” she giggled, running away with the pie still in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sup. What break? What are you talking about?
Rose for reading. @};-
~Jess.