Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Falling Into Place

“Thanks for all your help,” Illiana said again, before they reached the front door. “Is this a normal thing for inn owners to do?” she questioned.

Delilah shrugged, “people visit for a number of reasons, it’s our job as owners to do our best to help whoever walks through our doors,” Delilah grinned for a moment, “at least that’s what I believe,” she hummed.

“I’ll still stay for a few days though. If you’ll have me. Shouldn’t let my father’s money go to waste before I start making my own, right?” Illiana laughed. “Or trying to, rather.”

“Of course, you have to make the most of your vacation now,” Delilah winked at Illiana as she grabbed the groceries from her car and walked them inside, “after all, you’ll end up being so busy succeeding that you probably won’t get time to relax for awhile,”

“It’s nice to have someone treat me as me, not the person I was trying so hard to be,” Illiana looked earnestly at Delilah. “You didn’t know anything about me except that I was probably the worst guest you’ve had, rude and self-entitled. But you didn’t let that stop you.”

Delilah laughed in response, “to be fair, you’re the only guest we’ve had, so you’re the best and the most insightful. You showed us the standards you expected from us and now we can take those expectations and improve our Inn for future guests.”

“Gee, thanks” Illiana said sarcastically, winking at Delilah. “I’ll take that milk to the kitchen, and I’ll sort out the extra days I’ll be staying. Need to get on the phone with the parents, so we’ll see how that goes. Hopefully they’ll be happy with my new vision, and it’s all thanks to you and this beautiful place!” Illiana smiled, years of worries seeming to have unburdened her.

Delilah smiled at the effect the Hummingbird Inn has had on Miss Jones, walking inside with the rest of the groceries and calling for Vivian.

“You don’t need to yell, I’m right here,” Vivian arched a brow at Delilah’s enthusiasm. “What is it? Was there no almond milk? Did Illiana refuse to come back because of it? Have we lost our first guest?” Vivian got wrapped up in all the things that could have gone wrong.

“No actually, I had a really good talk with Illiana and she’s now motivated to start her own business and see her full potential come to life,” Delilah puffed her chest out proudly, putting the groceries down to give her arms a break. “So what have you been up to?” She asked Vivian cheekily.

“Brag about it,” Vivian sighed. “Trying to ring Estella again about the receptionist position, but I’m having trouble getting through. I need to get back into the baking side of things,” she pouted.

“Don’t worry about Estella right now, our Inn is kind of quiet on the guest front, focus on the cafe for now, that’s where our majority of customers are coming from at this point in time.” Delilah stated, “I’ll sort out the inn side of things, have you spoken to Adam about any further garden progress?” Delilah asked.

“No,” Vivian sighed in response. “I’ve been trying to think of other ways to attract guests for right now. My money’s starting to run low.”

Delilah placed an index finger onto Vivian’s lips, “hush sweet child, I have an idea!” Delilah sung in a sing-song voice.

“Is it a good idea, or one that’s going to scar me for life?” Vivian questioned.

“Hey, the uniforms were cute but let’s never mention them again,” Delilah pouted. “Anyway, I can organize a market day in our carpark. Invite a bunch of people to buy a stall space, throw your wicked baking into the mix and maybe I’ll even make some flower crowns from our garden or something,” Delilah said thoughtfully.

“You still make those? That’s so sweet,” Vivian praised.

Delilah blushed, “it’s not a big deal, I loved making them and sometimes I’ll make one or two for nostalgia’s sake.”

“It’s still cute,” Vivian winked at Delilah. “This weekend too soon to organize it? Maybe we could even sell some cuttings later on in the year.”

“I could organize it in four days! Besides, money is time and time is money,” she quoted.

“Is that a real quote? Or did you just make that up?” Vivian frowned.

“Who knows, everyone in my business classes used to quote it,” Delilah shrugged as she moved off to the staff room, “I’m going to make some calls and finish off my wall mural!” She called as she all but skipped away.

“I’ll just… put these groceries away then,” Vivian looked at the said groceries sitting on the desk, huffing as she picked them up. The bag obscuring her vision as she cradled it, she smacked into someone as she walked to make her way to the fridge in the cafe.

“Sorry! I didn’t mean to run into you! Here, let me help,” Christian took the groceries up from Vivian and waited to follow her.

“Thanks, they’re going to the cafe,” Vivian said. “You’d think I’d learn to order more eggs. What’s brought you here?”

“Actually,” Christian blushed as he cleared his throat, “I wanted to talk to Delilah, I know Blake went on a rampage and had a go at her so I wanted to apologise for the both of us,” the taller boy looked away shyly.

“Aw, that’s really nice of you. You’re getting better, ladykiller,” Vivian teased affectionately. “She’s upstairs. Want something to eat? I can get you something, or if you like, I can have Isabella bring you something.”

“N-no! It’s fine, there’s no need, I can’t stay long plus Issy and I are going out to dinner tonight so I’m too nervous to eat,” he admitted.

Vivian stared at Christian. “Did you say Issy? And dinner? Oh my god are you taking her on a date?!”

Christian sighed, “don’t say it like that, besides Issy’s the one that asked me out technically,” he muttered.

“This is amazing! Doesn’t matter who asked who, you guys are finally dating! I have to tell Delilah,” she gasped, “stay right there!” She ran off to get her.

“Vivian no!” Christian quickly placed the groceries on the bench in the cafe and tore after Vivian, “you both are as bad as each other!” He yelled, giving chase.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed this update!