Come Back to Me

Feelings

I hear Alex banging dishes about the sink as he washes them. When I go into the kitchen, he is staring at the plate, scrubbing aggressively.

"Are you ok?" I ask, slowly walking towards him.

"Yeah." He says, still scrubbing the same plate.

"You know.. I think that plate has had enough.." I say as I hold it, slowly slipping it out of his hands. I set it down, drying my hands with the towel.

Alex still has his hands in the water. He looks at me and sighs.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

He shakes his head and bites the inside of his cheek. He sighs again and dries his hands, leaning on the counter.

"Mullen was right, you know." He finally says. "I should have protected you."

"Hey.." I whisper as I stand in front of him, holding his face in my hands. "I already told you, it's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself."

"It's just, Mullen.. He's.." He begins to say.

"What? Forget what he said." I say.

"It's not just that.. He said something, about you.."

"About me? What did he say?" I ask confused. I let my hands drop to my side, his hand rubs my arm.

"Nothing, it doesn't matter." He says, squeezing my arm and sliding past me.

"Alex!" I snap. He turns to look at me. "What did he say?" I ask, frustrated. He takes a deep breath, stating at me. His arms fold, he bites his bottom lip and then looks down at his feet.

"He's worried that me and you.." Alex is cut off when his phone rings. He immediately goes into the living room to answer it. Me and you? I think.

"Hey Tom. Yeah, she's ok. Sure, hold on." Alex returns, handing me the phone.

"Hi.." I say.

"Hey amy, how're you feeling?" Tom asks. I haven't spoken to Tom since I lied about Jeff.

"I'm ok.." I lie. I'm sore. "What're you up to? Is Mel alright? I ask

"Yeah, we're heading back to LA tomorrow. You need someone to look after you!" He says. I turn and walk away from Alex so he doesn't hear.

"Tom, enough. It is not his fault, you got that?" I snap, quietly. "I'm going now, I'll see you when you're back." I hang up and turn to Alex, he has an arm folded, his other hand is up at his lips, nail biting.

"He's angry.." Alex says. "I don't blame him." I throw his phone down on the chair.

"Yeah, he'll get over it. If he doesn't, I'll make him." I smile.

"What were you saying about Mullen?" I ask. He tightens his lips together, looking away from me. "Alex?" I whisper as I walk over to him.

"It really doesn't matter, amy." He says, dryly.

"I'm not stupid, Alex.." I say, standing so close to him.

"I didn't say you were..but.. Mullen is, concerned.."

"About?" I ask. Alex sighs and looks into my eyes, brushing my hair away for my face.

"I think you know." He whispers. As I stand staring at Alex, I wonder where my sudden confidence came from. Maybe after what happened, I just don't care anymore.

"He's not the only one who's concerned.." He whispers, closing his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Tom.." He says.

"Who cares what he thinks?" I ask.

"Amy I do. He's my best friend.."

"And he's my brother." I snap. I feel weird, like I've been punched in the stomach. Then I remember, I was. I wonder what has changed. He went from being flirty, keen, to this.

"There is ffar too much important stuff going on, amy.."

"And this isn't?" I ask, hurt. "What's changed?" I just have to know. He doesn't answer me, instead he sighs, and avoids eye contact with me. I've made a full of myself, I think. I turn away from him and fold my arms, upstairs and away from him is my best bet right now, since I'm stuck in this house like a prisoner.

"Amy.." He says, walking towards me. He unfolds my arms and holds my hands in his. "My feelings for you haven't...."

"I get it.." I snap, pulling back my hands from his and walking upstairs.