Ascendency

If you cross the law, beware

“This… is unexpected.” Dark eyes focus on the barrel of the gun aimed directly at him, never once flickering to the one wielding it. “You weren’t supposed to get this far.”

“Surprise.”

“Indeed. Honestly, I never thought you’d keep working with the task force.” He stands slowly, hands raised and ever mindful of the powerful weapon trained on him. “Rumor had it that you were quite a mess after your… incident.”

The emerald gaze narrows, fragile hands tightening on the gun as he continues speaking, moving slowly around the room’s perimeter.

“Perhaps you hope he’ll take you back? He’s rather furious that you’ve taken out so many of the team. I’m not sure that he’d want to do anything aside make you suffer.”

“Where is he?” She says through gritted teeth, her voice cold as ice. The dark chuckle from behind her sets her heartbeat pounding in alarm, the sound roaring through her ears. She lowers the gun and turns slowly as a demon from the past emerges.

“You’re looking quite well, Haven.”

no matter how far you flee

“You bitch!”

“Now,” Phoenix says mockingly, topaz eyes glittering as she kicks the data pad away with a heel clad foot. “There’s no need for such foul language.”

“I thought we were on the same side!” He spits angrily, blood pouring down his face from a busted nose. “We were a team.”

Her heels click across the floor as she strides over, planting one foot firmly in the center of his chest as he tries to scramble away. Blue eyes slide across tanned skin, widening in horror at the holster on her thigh and the small silenced pistol being removed with deft fingers.

“You should know, I work for whoever has the best offer.” Her voice is nonchalant as she clicks the safety off and checks the chamber. “You also,” she levels the pistol and fires once, waiting until his skull thuds against the carpet before moving on. “should’ve paid me more. Unlike most, my loyalty can be bought. Too bad you didn’t find that out sooner.”

She blows a kiss to the now deceased, striding away and taking a moment to pull her blood red hair over her shoulders so the strands frame her face nicely. Satisfied, she picks up her purse and tucks the data pad away offering a “bye, baby” as she exits the way she came, confident as ever.

the dogs will hunt you down