Dusk & Summer

I think I'm cured. Thank you, stranger

tom.
sept 23, 2005.
encinitas, california.


"Fuck."

My face screwed up with pain as I rolled onto my side slowly, rubbing my sleep filled eyes. I could barely open them yet, but my back was too painful to just lay in bed. With a groan I shuffled out of bed and tried to stretch. My neck cracked loudly and I jumped in surprise, which sent a lightning bolt of agony down my spine. I slowly made my way into the bathroom and turned on the shower. A half hour later, I stepped out of the shower with a wince. My back was throbbing and felt unnaturally hot as I wrapped a towel round my waist carefully, trying to move my arms as little as possible seeing as every time I did the muscles between my shoulder blades would flex and send a spasm of pain shooting down my spine.

I took my time walking out of the bathroom, through my bedroom and down the hallway towards the kitchen. With a pained groan I reached up and opened the cupboard to grab a glass. I filled it with water at the tap and cracked a few painkillers from underneath the foil they were stored in with a slightly trembling hand; the other was still gripping the towel around my waist. Without thinking I let go of the towel to pick up my glass of water. I rolled my eyes and quickly shoved the pills into my mouth before gulping them down with some water. Then I slowly knelt down to grab my towel from the floor, sucking in breath sharply as my back tightened and it felt as though someone was driving a powerdrill into my spine.

As I made my way back into my bedroom, I stopped in the hallway as I noticed the little red flashing light on my answer machine. I pressed the button then slowly raised my hand to run it through my dripping hair as I waited for the message to play. Whoever it was must have rung while I was in the shower.

"Hi Tom." Her voice was tense. She sounded tired, like she hadn't slept very well. "You need to come by and pick up your car sometime today."

My heart began to thump harder in my chest as I stared at the wall with wide, blank eyes.

"I need to go to the office today, I've got a meeting with a new client. I'll be gone from about midday to 4 or 5." She paused slightly, as though she was trying to think of how to best word what she was going to say next. "So maybe you should come and collect your car then."

There was a long pause, before she spoke again. "Thank you again for last night-- the meal. It was lovely. And I- I guess I'll see you at the solicitors on tuesday."

Another pause.

"Bye."

There was a click, then the tape went dead. After a few more seconds of staring at nothing, I pressed 'Delete' and carried on walking down the corridor to my bedroom. My back had begun to ease up, thanks to my painkillers. I wandered over to my dresser and grabbed a pair of clean boxers from the top drawer, before dropped my towel and carefully slipping them on. I left the towel on the floor, making a mental note to pick it up later, and walked back into the bathroom. I grabbed my toothbrush and squeezed some toothpaste onto it. As I began scrubbing my teeth clean and getting rid of my morning breath I put the plug in the sink and began to fill it with hot water. I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were dark and sunken, and I looked tired. My skin didn't look particularly healthy.

I bent my head to spit out the toothpaste, then realised at the last minute I was filling the sink ready to shave. So instead I wandered over to the bath and started to run the cold water. I spat the toothpaste into the bath and cleaned off my toothbrush under the tap, before turning it back off and walking over to the now full sink. I put my toothbrush back into the glass and turned off the tap, before grabbing my shaving cream and covering my jaw in the white foam. Then I picked up my razor and swilled it in the water quickly, before raising my eyes to look back at my reflection in the mirror with a sigh. My eyes looked heavier than they had a second ago - that would be the painkillers making me a little drowsy.

I brought the razor to my skin and began to shave anyway. I managed to do most of it before I felt the new, sharp blade nick my skin with a sudden flash of stinging pain.

"Fuck." I swore loudly, jerking the razor away from my face and dropping it in the sink. I stared in the mirror at the tiny red line on my jawline, and as I watched a fat droplet of thick, dark blood oozed out and began to slide down my jaw.

I quickly grabbed some toilet paper and held it to the cut, soaking up the blood. You'd think I would've learned by now: shave before you take your painkillers. They made me lazy and careless.

After a few more moments I took away the toilet paper but ripped off a little square and quickly stuck it to the thin cut that was already leaking with my blood again. I picked up the razor that was currently floating aimlessly in the hot, soapy water that filled the sink and carefully finished shaving.

As I pulled on a pair of pants, my cell began to vibrate from my bedside table. I quickly did up my pants and walked over to pick up my phone.

"Hello?" I answered as I opened a drawer and grabbed a clean t shirt from my dresser.

"Hey man, it's Rick."

"Oh hey man, what's up."

"Kerrang magazine have been on the phone to me, they want to know if you'd like to do an interview about AVA."

"Uum, sure, I guess so. Will they be flying out?"

"They were hoping you'd fly to London. They'll pay for the hotel for a couple of nights."

I stopped, the brown t shirt still in my hands as I stared out the window to the beach view.

"Tom?"

"Yeah, yeah sorry. I think I can do that. When?"

"Two weeks. It'll literally just be an interview and a photoshoot. Won't take more than a couple of days."

"Sure. Fax me all the details, okay dude?"

"Sure thing. You going to the studio today?"

"I think so, in a little while."

"Awesome, I might come down a bit later. See you."

"Bye."

Image

I slipped on my shades as the early noon sun beat down on the dusty Californian ground.

I'd been standing outside the studio for a good twenty minutes now, phone in hand, trying to work up the courage to call her. I didn't know why I couldn't. I didn't know why I felt so nervous every time I scrolled down to her name in my phone book.

'Fuck's sake man, just do it.'

I exhaled heavily and ran a hand through my messy hair. After a few more seconds, I quickly found her number and held the phone to my ear. As it began to ring, I licked my dry lips nervously.

It kept ringing, faintly with a fuzzy undertone. Eventually it clicked onto the automatic answermachine, and my stomach lurched. I hated leaving messages.

Beep.

"Oh! Uh...hey, Anna. How are you? Wait you can't answer." I laughed nervously, already wanting to brain myself. "I was, um...just wondering how you are. And that...um...something else... I can't remember!" More nervous laughter. "Oh wait, I'll be coming to England- as in London...in a couple of weeks. Um...for an interview. With a magazine. Boring shit, but um...it means I'll be...in London...for a few days, if you...if you wanna meet up. Go for a drink or something...or a meal... I don't know. Get back to me. Hope you're okay. I already said that didn't I? Okay well...I hope the weather's good...but I doubt it." I laughed loudly with nerves, then winced and shut my eyes. Jesus Christ. "Okay well...bye."

I lowered the phone from my ear and just as I was about to hang up, I quickly whipped it back up. "Oh shit! I forgot to- it's Tom, by the way... Tom DeLonge. As in...yeah. Sorry. Okay. Bye."

I hung up and banged my palm against my forehead, cursing myself for my stupidity. What girl in her right mind would ever ring back a guy that left a message like that on her answermachine?! None. No girls would. Great.

Half an hour later a certain girl, clearly not in her right mind, rang me back.

I sprang up from my seat at the mixing board and walked quickly out of the room into the corridor.

"Hello?" I answered, trying not to sound too eager as I strode down the hallway to the glass exit doors.

"Hi Tom, it's me. Anna."

Her London accent brought a smile to my face as I stepped into the bright, hot sunlight.

"Hey. How are you?"

"I'm good thanks, and yourself?"

"I'm...okay. Thanks." I sunk down onto the stone wall and crossed one ankle over the other in front of me. "Sorry about that...fucking answermachine message. I'm not good at leaving messages."

I laughed nervously again, but she laughed as well.

"It's fine, at least it made my day a little more amusing."

My cheeks burned as I ruffled my messy hair sheepishly.

"So you're coming to London soon!" She sounded excited and happy, which is always a good sign.

"Yeah, I am! In two weeks. So...so it would be awesome to catch up with you."

"Yes definitely. I've found this amazing little bar near Brick Lane that you'll absolutely love, I'll take you there."

I grinned widely. "That sounds great. Maybe--" I hesitated, before steeling my nerves. "Maybe we could get dinner as well, or something."

There was a brief pause, but when Anna answered I could hear in her voice that she was smiling.

"That would be really nice."