Crime Lords

Chapter 7

Two Years Earlier

"I don't understand what exactly we're doing though" I mumble bouncing my leg stubbornly against the cushion of the limousine.

My mother gave me a warming smile, who was sitting across from me "We're skipping all your evening lessons for a little family time together". Her hand gently went on my father's hand, who was also smiling at me.

I didn't mind missing the fencing or the martial arts lessons at all (even though there really wasn't a point in taking either), there was just one problem "Did you have to pick me up in a limo after school? Everyone was watching." It was a Friday, so there will be millions of questions, but hopefully I'd think of an excuse (like most times) to explain the huge limousine that picked me up in front of the school... Maybe not.

I stop moving my leg and stared at the two of them. Both of them together make a nice couple, on the inside and outside, but I wondered sometimes if they got the whole low profile thing at school for me.

"Of course we did" my father said still smiling. Just from it I knew they knew about keep-family-and-school-separate ordeal. They also both liked seeing me uncomfortable for some odd reason. They say that's the parent's job.

I sigh "Of course". Why'd I even bother asking. Looking out the window, I watched all the rows of houses go past "So... where are we going?"

"Where do you want to go?"

Putting my finger up to my chin, I pretended to act like I was making different choices in my head although I knew exactly where I wanted to be. "The beach" I say nodding.

"Pretty cold out for the beach" my father had his eyebrow raised.

I shrugged "We don't have to get in the water. Besides I think that the beach is relaxing".

"Quite a strange girl" my dad raises up an eyebrow.

I smile "The apple doesn't fall far-" the brakes of the car were suddenly pushed. Just my luck, I wasn't wearing a seat belt and gravity didn't seem to like me, even with the cushion from the seat it hit my nose, hard. "Ow" I mumble holding the bridge of my nose, my head reeling. A graceful hand helped me back to my seat.

"Are you aright" a worried look was edged on my mother's face. I nodded.

"What the hell are you doing! You blind!" My father's neck veins came out, face slightly tinted red. The window separating the driver and rider's sides was down. The driver was turning red too, probably not from anger however, his eyes were wide too as he stammered out.

You'd have to concentrate really hard to even understand what he was saying, "T-there was.. was a p-p-person in in in the r-r-r-oad".

"The road" My father repeated getting out followed by my mother. A person... putting a hand up to my head I sighed. Getting out behind my parents, I frowned, the place we stopped, well it wasn't exactly inviting. The three of them, including the driver, rushed to a body in heaped on the asphalt. Turning my back, I couldn't watch especially if it was a dead body. This seemed like a place where people just dropped like flies. Some houses were locked up with burglar bars on the window and doors, others boarded up completely. A shiver ran up my spine. I could have sworn I felt eyes on us. A lion stalking its prey, waiting patiently till they are off guard. Even ordinary people knew not to come around here. Ten times worse if you're riding around in a limo and it's almost night. It was a like shouting 'Oh, come over here so you can mug and possibly kill us'.

There was a shuffling behind me turning, my father and the driver had the heap of a body, from what I could tell a guy, on their shoulders.

"Is he... dead?" I ask the word getting caught in my throat.

"No" father said nodding towards the limo. "Get in" he mumbles. Nodding I glance at my mother, her dark eyes which were always easy to read were cloudy now. Sliding back in the car I scooted far enough in to have room for the body. They laid him across the seat, even when I couldn't look at him directly, I could still see the faint signs of blood on his black torn shirt. It was even worse on his face, blood caked and dried on it I turned my face the blood making my stomach turn queasy, it took all my willpower not to throw up from the metallic stench that now crowded the small space.

"Hurry up and get us home" was father's command his hand beating on the top of the limo. He looked around the street before getting in. Both of my parents' faces were like a brick wall and I had no intentions of breaking down those walls either.

Yeah, amazing family time. The rest of the car ride was in silence.

xxx

"Gently" my father and the driver had somehow managed to drag the man from the limo to the house and into one of our many guest bedrooms upstairs. I watched as they set him on the bed, holding down that uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. Why would they bring him here? Why not just leave him where he was or at least drop him off at some hospital? My parents were nice and all, but they were like most people some of the time: turning a blind eye towards this kind of thing. I didn't blame them either it was most definitely not our problem.

So when the driver was paid into not saying anything and there was an awkward silence between the three of us I ask "Why help him?"

As if being snapped out of a trance my mother took me by the shoulders lightly pushing me out the room. She closed the door behind her. Leaving dad and the stranger. My mom ran her hand through her black hair, a nervous habit. In those seconds I could see how old she was, Small wrinkles deepening as she stared at me, even more appearing when she talked "It's best to leave it be till the morning, we're all quite tired". Her voice always reminded me of warm tea. Relaxing. And I hadn't noticed till now that I was exhausted!

Stretching slightly I yawned, "But why help him? Why get ourselves involved?"

My mother pushed me slightly in the direction of my room her eyes getting distant as she spoke "You can choose what you do or don't get involved in. The things that you do get into though you're sure to make a difference".

"Choices..." I mumble shaking my head. I walked down the hall into my room, that little wise spill still didn't answer my question: Even with all the money we had, with the sometimes charities we donated to (like once a year) why help this stranger out personally? It left me eyes not able to close that night.

xxx

I woke up to the sun hitting my eyelids. I felt groggy and my hair clung to my face, my only thought is I needed a shower. Getting all my things and walking out into the hall I head for the bathroom. One thing that I never got was why I couldn't have my own personal bathroom right next to my room. Instead I had to walk down the hall to get to it. It wasn't even that long of a walk, but still it was the whole principal of the thing.

I twisted the gold door knob to get in. It wasn't turning even when I firmly grasped it and used all the muscles in my arm to open the door. Who the hell was in there!? My parents always use the bathroom at night! And they don't even use this one! Giving two sharp, short knocks at the door, I waited. No response. I did it again, this time with three knocks. No answer. I groaned impatiently, I started relentlessly beating the door repeatedly until my knuckles started pulsing. It took a couple of seconds, but the door opened sending with it heat and steam.

"I can't have some privacy? At least enough to take a shower?" the guy said while he dried off his hair. He had fresh clothes on, my parents probably bought them for him considering we don't have clothes for him just laying around. He was clean now, but from the small cuts and bruising on his face I could tell, even without the blood, this was the guy from last night.

It took me a second to find my voice, his eyes distracted me. They were a deep green, almost reminded me of a forest. "What is that even supposed to mean? This isn't even your house!"

"What's with all the noise?" My father came up the stairs. He was dressed, as always, in a suit and tie complete business attire even though it was close to eleven and most other people would have been at work hours ago.

I press my clothes up to my chest as I cross my arms "He's in the bathroom while I'm trying to get in!"

"What ever happened to first come, first serve" the guy mused.

I clench my teeth, trying to keep myself from giving him another bruise "There isn't one because you don't live here".

Clearing his throat my dad leaned against the railing of the stairs "He's a guest and he should be making himself at home here for the time being. Breakfast will be down stairs and your mother and I will be gone for a little while". Those sounded a lot more like orders than announcements. A lot like I-should-behave orders.

"Okay" I mumble. I don't question or complain about why I have to spend the morning with a stranger. I do really want to wipe that smug look off his face. With that my father walks down stairs.

"After you Princess" the jerk moved from the bathroom door way, mocking in voice was evident. It took all of my willpower not to slam the door in his face.

xxx

I sigh slightly fingering my wet hair and walk down the marble stairs, my feet patting every time I went down a step. The smell of breakfast food awakened my stomach, reminding me that I skipped out on dinner the night before. Not even the sight of our new guest could ruin my appetite. He was simply just sitting there, stuffing food in his mouth like he's never eaten before. Walking around to the other side of the table. Reaching for a sliced beagle and cream cheese, I feel his eyes on me. I slather some of the cheese on biting the beagle, ignoring his gaze. Maybe if I don't say anything he won't say anything back. Taking another bite the silverware was hitting the plate, he was still eating, but he was also still staring at me.

Not being able to take it anymore I glare, "What?"

"Your parents left," he said after a swallow of food.

"I didn't know that thanks" I rolled my eyes.

I narrow my eyes at him, why was he studying me so hard? There was a silence between the two of us.

He broke it again. This time sticking out his hand. "I think that we got off the wrong foot this morning. Jason".

I glance at his hand, it was slightly bruised and scratched up on his knuckles. Was he in a fight? Did it happen last night? I suddenly wanted to ask him question, then I remembered he was a complete jerk. "Nola" I keep my hands to myself.

His hand suddenly balled into a fist as set it back on his side of the table. "So then I'm not good enough for you to shake my hand, Princess?" My eyes snapped to his, up till now I thought that my beagle was so interesting. His jaw clenched, he was angry? I don't care.

"Stop calling me that," I clip off every word.

Jason stood up his hand banging on the table, his plate clattered as a response. "Why should I? You do practically live in a castle anyway right?".

"You should be grateful," I shouted, my voice sounded higher than normal. Standing up too, forgetting about the bagel, I continue "We could have just left you there on the side of the road! Oh, or better yet we should have just ran over you". The words come out, I'd wish they'd hadn't. But I'm too angry to care. Why the hell was he going off on me for this crap?

"You're a spoiled little damned brat, and a lot stupider than I thought. I never asked for your help" He swore before running his hands down his face leaving the table. A door slammed moments after. Did he leave?

I stand there for a couple of seconds before groaning, flopping back into my chair "I think I liked it better when he was knocked out" I say to no one, except maybe the servants no doubt listening behind the door. Everything had mysteriously went quite a few seconds ago. This will be the next new little thing for them to talk about.

xxx

It was obvious that I couldn't just leave the house with a guy that could come back at any moment and steal our stuff. My parents weren't into big gates, so the iron one we had was a slight challenge to get over, but not impossible. I'd done it many times when I was bored or just wanted to get away for awhile.

i was on house watch. So, of course, me sitting on the front steps of our house refusing every friend that called me repeatedly to go out was infuriating.

To add on to the fire, my martial arts teacher cancelled because he was sick. Normally I'd be completely relieved, but at this moment I am really in the need to punch something.

Pushing off one of the long, white colomns I was leaning against I stand up. It was one of the rare days where it actually looked nice out, so I decide to get dressed anyway and start training.

Tying up my hair I sigh throwing a couple of kicks and punches at an imaginary sparring partner. It sucks. There's no kind of feedback or reaction for someone's who's not actually there.

"You seem lonely" I jump at the voice, turning to see Jason, who was in front of the gate. Yep, he'd jumped it. I turn away from him and continued. That didn't stop him from speaking to me "Can I join you?"

Where the hell had he been? But wait, why did I care? I stop mid swing at the question. That actually wasn't a bad idea. He'd be the perfect punching bag. "Fine" I say facing him.

I watch as he puts his hands up, he was serious about this "After you, Princess".

My blood started rising at the name. Holding up my hands I charge at him. The first punch he blocks, but I quickly shift my weight to try to kick him. He grabs hold of my calf, catching me off balanced. His right hand tapped my left side. He let go of my leg, smirking. I took two deep breaths, clenching my teeth. He wasn't taking me seriously. I try making fast jabs at him, not really caring what I might hit. His hand shot up to my forearm, grabbing me so hard I couldn't concentrate on anything else. My feet came up from under me as I felt his ankle pull from my heel. I ended up turning and landing on my stomach, the wind knocked out of my lungs. My arm was twisted behind me, a deep pain shooting to my shoulder and a knee pressed against my back.

"Cuter this way. Submissive," he mumbled. I tried getting out of the hold, but he only pulled harder.

"Screw you" I say through strangled breaths.

"You have some pretty good moves too, but you know you do keep the left side of your body unguarded.You also don't hit with your whole body. Oh do you want me to stop? If you say please I will".

Tears started pricking my eyes, the pain burned, it was too much. If he pulled any further I think that my shoulder would be ripped out the socket. My mouth tasted like dirt and bile. "Hell no" I bite my lip holding back a cry as his hand gripped tighter.

"Better be lucky that you live in such a nice neighborhood. That pride will get you killed anywhere else. On top of that you like pushing people's buttons" His grip released and he got off of me, standing up.

Oh crap, neighbors. This wasn't good. Whatever any of them might have saw if they decided to look out the window. These people feed off of this kind of crap: twisting the story making something completely different happen. I can see the headline now: Neighbor's daughter had boy over doing something unspeakable in the front yard.

"I didn't ask for your opinion about me" I sit up, rolling my shoulder to make sure that it was still usable. Hurt like hell, but it was. Wiping both the tear and the sweat from my face. My eyes drifted to the house next to ours.

I felt Jason's eyes on me again he shifted to where he was eye level with me. "Sorry if I don't baby you like you want" I didn't even have to look at him to tell he had a cocky grin on his face.

I glare at him "I didn't ask you to. I don't need to be babied especially by some jerk". I start rubbing the sore spot where he just grabbed me.

"Good" those green eyes looked over me, assessing.

"Where'd you learn to fight?" I ask. I'm not great at the whole martial arts thing, I've only done it for a couple of years. I'm also not easy to beat, the few other people that I would spar with could testify.

Jason stands back up, "I picked up a couple of things over the years". He started walking towards the house.

Where the hell does he get off being so arrogant. I felt a frown set on my lips as I realized: he likes to push buttons too.

xxx

"How was today?" my mother looks at me, a spark of curiosity in her eye.

"Boring," I sigh, putting some of the casserole in my mouth. My eyes went across the table from me, to Jason. He was eating a lot slower, compared to this morning at least. What had he been doing yesterday? He looked like he was well off, even with the bruises that were now fading. He was even a bit muscular, my eyes trail down his arms. I must have been staring too hard because his eyes went from his plate to my face. Embarrassment washed over me as my cheeks warmed up. I quickly went back eating my food.

"Is that so?" my mother's been watching me.

"Yes" I nod, suddenly feeling something go up my leg. Footsie really? I give a swift hard kick, making contact. I must have hit bull's eye because Jason's jaw clenched. "Nothing at all" I smile. 'Payback' I mouth.

The kick made the table move drawing the attention of my dad. "You two were getting along?" He's been like that lately, distant and deep in thought. I try not to ask him about it since it's probably just work related.

"Tolerating" Jason said smiling at me. I roll my eyes tolerating was a very thin rope that'd break any moment.

My dad was about to say something, but was interuppted by thumps at the door. "Who could that be?" He goes to answer it. We could all hear the conversation from the table.

"We're sorry to bother you, but we're looking for a boy. Teenager, dark brown hair, green eyes" the sound of the male's voice made me stiffen.

Jason pushed off the table, "I'm going up stairs".

My mom stood too, she was tense. A smile was planted on her lips, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Yes, yes of course" her hands were folded in front of her "You should go too, Nola".

"A-alright" I nod, slowly getting up. I wipe my hands on my jeans, realizing that we'd have to pass the door to get up stairs.

My mother joins my father. The male continues on "We had people say that you put him in your car carried him away".

"Is that so?" Mom asked.

"Come on Princess" Jason grabbed my hand, it was rough against mine. Squeezing his hand hard, he mumbles "Your still not over it?"

"I didn't give you permission to touch me. And if you mean my sore shoulder thanks for that" I smile at him squeezing harder.

We both make our way towards the stair case, my heart pounding. Out the corner of my eye I saw a police uniform, the male, and a woman also in uniform. Jason leaned into my neck his breath tickling my ear. "I'm sorry, alright?"

I blinked a couple of times. "You're an idiot. I'm not your shield" I blush. I felt his hand press against the small of my back. "Pervert" I mumble under my breath as we passed the door.

"You make it seem like you want me to get caught,"

"This boy is a danger and if your harboring him you'd all be arrested. The police have had many run ins with him" the person at the door continues. I glance at Jason, his expression neutral, what did he do?

"Unfortunately you interrupted a nice dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend" I felt eyes on our backs as we started up the stairs.

A ghost of a smile was on Jason's lips. "I'm your boyfriend now?"

"Shut the hell up" I whisper.

"Is it alright if we come in" the police officer said.

"No its not" my father says. That's all I hear when I close the door behind me to the guest bedroom. They're voices were muffled as I leaned against the door. Neither of us said anything as Jason sat at the edge of the bed.

I put my hand up to my heart. It was still beating fast. Why protect him? If he was a threat why keep him in the house?

That same question was on the tip of my tongue. "What exactly did you do last night" I ask staring at him.

"You guys picked me up and I got to sleep in this nice bed" Jason smiled.

I clenched my teeth. This guy was infuriating "Before that!"

"Nothing".

I push off the door, clenching my fists. "Nothing doesn't have the police at the door threatening to arrest us," I walk up to him trying to be as intimidating as possible, which was a lot harder since he stood up too, and he was taller than me.

"You want me to tell you?" His eyes became an even darker green.

I swallowed licking my lips, "Yeah".

"Got in a fight, bad one" his hand ran through his hair. He sits back down, and just when I thought I had to coax him for more explanation he pats the space next to him.

Sighing I sit next to him crossing my arms, suddenly really aware of the distance between the two of us. I wait for him to keep going.

He eventually does "Both of my parents died from a shooting. Wrong place, wrong time". His tone completely dropped the joking tone. His muscles tensed up in his arms. I pressed my hands up against his laced fingers. "I'm the type of person that takes things in my own hands. If you can't stop crime control it" he tilts his head at me.

"I don't get it" I mumble. I suddenly felt stupid, everything wasn't clicking in place "Why not just go be a policeman".

"Because there are some people the police can't catch. That aside..." I jump as he grabs my arm, pushing me down on the bed, pinning both arms above me. "Interesting that you got me to tell you something on the first day too. Shouldn't I get an award or something. Even grabbed my hand, that means something right?".

His whole body weight was on me so I couldn't move. "Hell no it doesn't. I was only comforting. Swear if you even try to do something with me I'll kick your-".

"They left pretty angry, so-" my dad walked in hand still on the doorknob, stopping mid sentence.

My cheeks heated up as Jason jumped off of me releasing me from his hold. I turned my head slightly towards the door. To make matters worse my mom was also in the door, her head popped in when my dad stopped "W-We weren't doing anything, so umm" I sit up slowly, running my hand through my hair. Why did it feel like we did? "I'm going so..." I start getting up.

The two of them walked in as I was leaving. The door shut behind me. I frowned slightly, what could they be talking about? Especially enough to have dad simply let me out the room after seeing that? A flame of curiosity sparked in me as I pressed my ear firmly against the door. I started taking shallow breaths, scared that they could hear me breath.

"The police left. Your welcome to stay here as long as you want" it was my dad.

"Why is that?" Jason asked his voice nonchalant. "I never got to ask earlier".

"I don't believe in coincidences" my mother said I could practically hear her smile,"As far as I'm concerned its more like a way to mend a lost soul nothing more".

I raise an eyebrow. Lost soul? Like a troubled youth? I half way expected for Jason to sound angry, it sounded like a plan to boost my family reputation to me. He wasn't, he seemed quite the opposite, calm. I could see the arrogant look on his face. "A guilty conscious isn't quite as easy to get rid of like that".

"Maybe not" I strain to here whatever else came after that, stupid thick doors. What little I had heard left my mouth dry. What the hell was going on? All talking and noise seemed to cease, then I heard footsteps.

I held my breath slowly backing away, rushing to my room. I didn't care if those steps were going towards the door or not, I didn't want to hear the rest of the conversation.

Belly flopping on my bed, I study the black and white walls. My parents were hiding something from me, but I didn't know what. I didn't want to know because the worst the secret the worse the truth when its revealed. I didn't want to get involved.

xxx

"Where are you going" heavy footsteps follow me downstairs.

"Where most people go my age: to school" I try not to look at him. I completely avoided both my parents and him yesterday, needless to say it was pretty uneventful on Sunday. Couldn't get that lucky this morning, apparently our guest was an early bird.

The hairs stand up on the back of my neck, feeling Jason's intense gaze on my back. "And the outfit?"

"Uniform" smoothing down the ugly navy blue knee length skirt. I frown, this was one step away from looking like a blueberry.

I walk into the kitchen, none of the cooks or servants would be there until a good time after I leave. It was oddly still and quiet without the movement and banging of pot and pans out.

I snatch off an apple from the fruit display, all of it real fruit. I lean against the counter facing Jason. He was just far enough out to not be able to touch me. Why was that disappointing? He was looking around the kitchen, like he was going to buy the house. Looking through every shelf and cabinet. I take the first bite of the apple, the sweetness flowing into my mouth.

"What do your parents do again?" his hand brushes against the counter top, he braces himself against the counter I was on.

"Business and marketing. Both are co-CEOs of a company".

"I'm slowly piecing together things." I strain my neck to look behind me at him. His eyes set on mine.

"About my family Dr. Phil?" I didn't try to hide the sarcasm in my voice.

I watch as his lips went upward, "About you." His hand went up stroking some of the hair on my back. I turned away from him which probably made it worse because he started playing with more hair.

"And what exactly have you came up with," I struggle to keep my voice even.

At first there was no answer, I started studying the bite marks in the apple.

"Your blushing" I feel his breath tickle my ear. I jump up turning to him and I hastily glance at the clock over the stove. About now the driver would be at the front door, "I've gotta go". I manage to get out before quickly going out the door.

Pressing my forehead against the cool glass of the car I close my eyes. My face still flustered. Why was he doing that? I keep forgetting that I'm supposed to be angry at him. I sigh as the small black car stops in front of the school, a sea of blue going into the school. Getting out the car I join the crowd, this was the only piece of normal I had. But the only thing out of place as I walk into school are the odd stares and whispers circling around me, making my stomach drop.

xxx

"You seem to be the talk of the school right now" Nichole sits down in the seat beside me.

"All those unnerving stares in the hallway" Chelse said even when I wasn't looking at her I could tell her feet were moving even though she was sitting down. It was pretty much just me and them in the classroom

My head shoots up off my arm, eyebrows raised "Why is that?" Did everyone find out about the person we had in the house? Did gossip travel like that? I mean it was a huge city. Police could come and get me right now, in hand cuffs! I rub my hands against my skirt my eyes searching for some kind of answer in my friend's face.

"How you are outrageously rich and enjoy showing off in front of everyone" Nichole smiled sympathetically.

"Or how your a stuck up B word" Chelse chimed in.

Relief washed over me for a second and I put my head down, but it only last exactly that, a second, before my nerves started to get the better of me. "I completely forgot about that, my parents picked me up wasn't even my fault" I say sitting up pressing my hands against my eyes. It wasn't the fact that people talked about me, it was more like when people started reacting was the huge problem. Even if this was supposed to be one of the high end schools, even with more money, the students are all still the same at any other high school: full of drama. And the last thing I needed was more drama. My two friends stared at me as if wanting me to say more. I shrug sighing, nothing could be done about it now. I had bigger things to worry about than being burned at the stake like a witch. "Ignore it" I mumble putting my head back down.

Unfortunately ignoring it was a lot easier said than done, an increasing build up of frustration started weighing down me. The pointed glances that were all but subtle. Don't even get me started on the whispers. By the end of the day, I was just about ready to punch every last person that looked at me funny. "I thought that you were supposed to stay quiet to where no one could hear you when you whisper" I glare at a group of girls, they were all huddled together every so often a head turned to look at me.

Nichole leaned against the bars of the school gate raising an eyebrow and in a sing song voice said "Talk of the school".

"Don't remind me" I groan. A sigh came out my lips when I saw the familiar black car "My ride".

"Speaking of: Can I get a ride with you today" Nichole smiled behind me.

Nodding a grin spread across my face, how could I say no to those puppy eyes? We both made our way towards the car. Tilting my head slightly as the back door opens I stop dead in my tracks as I watch Jason get out, in a grey hoodie.

"Who is that?" Nichole mumbles in my ear. I only glanced back a second to see a smirk on her face. The look she got only when it concerned me and a boy.

"No one at all" I say through clenched teeth pressing my hands to my side so that I wouldn't fiddle with them.

Taking a slow breath, I straighten up getting closer to the car. "Why?" the one syllable came out as short and irritated as I could make it.

"I wanted to see your school" his green eyes fixed on mine. "Your parents left a few hours ago said they'd be back by the time you come home." The edges of his lips curved upward, slightly. The police were about ready to blow my house down looking for this guy and he wants to come visit me at school.

The same word I was thinking flew out my mouth "Bull" I glare at him.

"It's kind of boring at your house so..." He made a exaggerated gesture at me "I don't know how you can stand it, Nola". Hearing my name come out his mouth made me shift from one foot to the other.

"You two are living together" Nichole said a little too loud making me jump. I had completely forgotten she was there. Jason went from studying my face to blinking at Nichole as if seeing her for the first time. Jason opened his mouth, but I answered before he could.

"It's not what you think" I turn towards her. That was the least convincing statement ever. Nichole's dark eyes went from me to Jason back to me, then slowly a smirk was drawn on her face.

"If you say so". The wicked smile didn't leave her face even when she went around the car, getting in.

Jason raised an eyebrow at me as he stepped aside so I could get in, his eyes flickering. What was he thinking? His face was harder to read the more I stared.

"Leave me alone" I mumble at him stepping into the car.

"We all know that wouldn't be much fun" he whispers in my ear before getting in himself.

"Alright" I say to the driver, Nichole giving him directions. "So how long have you known Nol" she gave me a wicked grin before looking back at Jason.

"A couple of days".

"Oh really?" Nichole flashed another smile. I put my hand on my head. It exactly like being in between a rock and a hard place. When something interested Nichole, her personality completely switched. She didn't know when to shut up! The girl would just keep on going and going, like she was doing know, as if she was a wind-up toy. And who the hell knew what Jason was thinking. He was like one of those Sour Patch kids that stayed sour through out. And the two of them made an amazing team whose main objective was making the girl trapped between the two more awkward then she thought possible.

xxx

"Nice friend" Jason smirked at me. I pressed my lips firmly together and leaned against the door as we drove away from Nichole's house. He paused before going on to say "Those will make you fat". I stared at him not saying a word as I slowly opened the bag of chocolate I'd gotten from my bag. I made sure to put extra emphasis when I put one in my mouth.

I always had a thing where I had to eat something sweet everyday. A horrible addiction that I had no concern with quitting.

"No witty comment. Not trying to injure me." Jason raised an eyebrow as he counted on his fingers, "You gonna just give me the cold shoulder, not talk". A smile curved on his lips "What I do this time" I feel the warmth of his hand run up my thigh. He was too close. The eyes of my driver on us only made it possible that I'd get a case of Claustrophobia.

"Scoot back over" I mumble.

"No". He smelled like the expensive cologne Dad buys, he must have taken some. He didn't put on too much either. Why did the smell suit him more?

The one syllable made my teeth clench. The hand that wasn't caressing my leg reached into my bag, putting a chocolate in his mouth. Did his lips taste like that know? Pressing myself against the door I tried staying away from his face as much as possible. He, unfortunately, closed whatever centimeters of room I gained this time putting his hand up to my neck. The sensitive skin, his fingers touched, making me shiver, making me completely forget about the driver.

"You think differently of me know?" The warmth of his breath gave me goosebumps as he whispers in my ear. For a second my mind goes to Nichole, whatever she thought about the two of us might not be as far fetched as I'd hoped.

"Hell no" it was getting pretty hard to keep my voice steady. It was starting to crack. I don't even feel the bag floating out of my hands as he gets closer to me "I'd really like to know why you still here".

His lips brushed across my ear "You ask a lot of questions".

"So do you" I reply.

"I don't really have any place to be at the moment. Besides, I wanted to get to know the little Princess on her high horse" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"And what exactly were you doing before we found you, you never answered that question the other day" I bite the inside of my cheek.

"We're not playing twenty questions" His eyes studied my face before starting again "I will however answer as many questions as you want... at a price". His whole body weight was on me now, my hands pinned to his abdomen. Every time he moved I felt the muscle tighten up and relax. "Kiss me".

His eyes went from my own to my lips. I swallowed, I couldn't get out any words. His lips were so close to mine the slightest movement, even if by accident, would have me pressing my lips against his. We both stay there like that for what feels like hours, listening to each others breaths.

A throat clears, making me jump, ruining whatever warmth that was spreading through my chest. Jason however was oddly still he didn't even flinch.

"We're here" I slightly turned my head to hide the heat coming to my cheeks as the driver spoke. Jason slowly pushes off me, still holding my gaze intently. He only broke the connection when he went to get both my school bag and the chocolates and got out the car.

Getting out the car, I felt so light headed. It was a good thing Jason had taken my things otherwise everything would have fallen from my grasp.

"Your too damned arrogant" I catch up to him as we both walk through the door.

"You still would have done it" I completely avoid his gaze. I couldn't say any thing to that, as damned arrogant as he was, he was right.

My silence must have been all he needed because he quickly pressed me against the door. "So I'm right" his lips brush against my neck making the spot tingle.

"Stop" I try to keep myself under control. There was something wrong. It made me feel like something was missing, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. "There isn't anyone in the kitchen" I didn't hear anything.

"Not when I left" I feel Jason's eyes studying me. "What's wrong?"

Getting out of Jason's grasps, which he significantly loosened, I start walking up stairs. The place where his hands were was sore, hopefully it won't leave a mark. My hands rub both arms, my thoughts going back to the situation at hand. Even if, for some reason, the servants started spying again for some reason we should have both heard the noise in the kitchen stop. A sudden stop, not the eerie dead silence that made the place feel like a haunted mansion. It didn't even feel like this when I'm here by myself. I walked down the hall the white floors reflecting my feet, echoing the sound. I stop in front of my parents' door. "Mom? Dad?" I was hoping for one or both of the familiar voices to come from the other side of the door. No answer. Jason said that they'd be home so maybe they just didn't hear me. A little voice sound off in the back of my head, pushing it aside I open the door. Walking in it's exactly like the rest of the house: still. Nothing was touched pictures, decorations, bed all the same way they always were nicely made and clean. There was just something wrong: They weren't there. Before I could turn and leave footsteps came from down the hall.

"What's the-" strong arms quickly push me into the small walk-in closet. "What the hell-" I start to shout until he covered my mouth with his hand.

His eyes were so serious, duller than when I was just down stairs with him. "A couple of cars came up. Men with guns" his eyes went from me to the cracks between the shutter like door. I strain my ears as I hear the door from downstairs open what seems like an army of feet rushing in. Jason's hand leaves my mouth and goes to my arm it tenses up, or maybe it was me tensing under him, when we hear the foot steps go up the stairs and a series of doors slamming open and close. Finally four people walk into the room that we both hid in. I hold my breath, two of those people were my parent getting held at gun point. I feel my breathing quicken and my heart race, could they here it? Would the thing that's keeping me alive cause my death? No, the man in front of my parents had his full attention on them.

"I thought we had a deal you and I" the man, maybe a little older than my parents takes a seat on their bed. He seemed like a well off person. When neither of them answered he goes on "There's that old say I scratch your back, you scratch mine and I think my scratch is completely over due. I mean I graciously gave you money to start off your little business and yet you don't give me at least some of the share? Look how you two turned out. Even heard you had a pretty little daughter.". My parents' faces were like stone until the last sentence. My dad had the kind of face that he would normally have when doing business, but it was my mom that was really unnerving her normally gentle expression was twisted with rage.

"If you touch her I'll-" she started shouting and then there was a loud crack that made me want to close my eyes and cry out, but Jason had put his hand firmly on my mouth again, tightening the grip on my arm pulling me into him. His breathing was fast too. My mouth goes dry as I watch my mother stand up again, blood streaming down her face, the color in my father's face was completely gone.

I stiffen up, but Jason only holds on to me tighter, as the man starts to laugh. "Your in no position to make threats" he says through the laughter. "You've pretty much steal from me and now your trying to threaten me" he shakes his head. "We used to be friends too" he actually sounded genuinely sad. Waving his hand before getting up, the man holding my parent's at gunpoint started moving "Unfortunately we couldn't do something like kidnap you or something, so this will have to do" the man says before the gunman put the gun to my father's head. The gun went off, echoing through my head and shaking my bones. My dad crumbles to the floor like a puppet that's gotten its strings cut. My mother goes into a silent cry, she doesn't scream or fight back, but I do see tears going down her face. The gunman moves on to my mother. The man continues "A real shame". The gun goes off again. Both of my parents' blood made flowers on the white wall. Pools of blood staining the carpet. I don't know what the men are saying as they leave. I also don't feel Jason'd grip anymore.

There was only blood.