Until I Met You

Keeping The Peace With Mothers

Ashley sat behind the cash register at Hot Topic, going crazy with boredom. The day before after lunch Kaysee had decided to confront Chuck about calling her a bad influence and the argument got a little ugly ending with Chuck sending her home early and telling her not to bother coming into work today. Ashley hadn’t talked to Kase since then and really hadn’t talked to Chuck since he practically avoided her by staying in the back room.

She let out a depressed sigh and grabbed a random magazine flipping through it without really looking at it. In her pocket she could feel her cell phone vibrating, she glanced up and around the store finding it as empty as she felt inside. She pulled out her phone looking at the caller id, her mother not the person she had hoped it was but who was she to complain about the break in her boredom.

“Hey mom.”

“Have you talked to your uncle yet?” Her mom questioned getting strait to the point.

“No, I really haven’t had any time.”

“Don’t lie to your mother.”

“I’m not lying, I’ve been busy.”

“I’m sure working at a mall is very time consuming.” Her mother stated with disapproval.

“We’ve been over this a thousand times mom, I don’t know what I want to go to school for.” Ashley sighed.

“You could get your generals done and while your doing that you will figure out what you want to do.”

“I’m not going to argue about this with you again.” Ashley warned.

“Fine, I’m just your mother its my job to worry about you.”

“So do you know what uncle Anthony wants?”

“No I don’t all I know is that he needs to talk to you before he leaves tomorrow.”

“Alright, I’ll give him a call tonight if I have the time.”

“Good girl, I love you.”

“Love you to mom.” With that she hung up her cell phone and shoved it back into her pocket.

Turning around to put the magazine she had been flipping though away she watched as a mother with who she assumed was her daughter walk into the store. The mother looked almost horrified to be in the store where as the daughter looked at home but horrified to have her mother with her.
The daughter looked to be about 16 with clearly dyed black hair and a selection of jelly bracelets on her wrists.

“Excuse me, but could you help me and my daughter?” The woman questioned.

Ashley smiled. “What would you like help with?”

“Well you see we have a slight problem. My daughter wants to dress gothic and where we live I just cant have her doing that. So after many conversations we reached an agreement that she could continue wearing the clothes if the outfits are tastefully put together and not to scary looking.” The mother explained while the daughter rolled her eyes.

Ashley had summed up the entire problem in her head as the mother was explaining it to her. It was clear that they had money and where they lived was in the rich part of town; the daughter hated it and was rebelling.

“I would be more then happy to help you with that.” She nodded with another smile.

“Thank god, money is no object I’ll be back in an hour to look over the outfit choices.” With that the mother turned and almost ran from the store.

“I’m sorry about my mom.” The girl still looked horrified. She brushed her hair behind her ear, causing the jelly bracelets to slide reviling cutting scars on the girl’s wrist.

“No worries, we’ve all been there.” Ashley gave a warm smile. “What name should I put on the dressing room?”

“Jasmine.”

~~~~


Exactly an hour later the horrified mother returned. The look of dread apparent on her face. “Well let’s see the outfits.”

“Jasmine picked out two pairs of jeans, a plain black skirt and a few tee shirts.” Ashley began “And since I assumed you wouldn’t mind those choices we won’t be modeling them for you.”

“The first outfit Jasmine will be modeling for you is a black sailor inspired dress complete with white buttons and trim. Perfect for a day at the yacht club.”

Jasmine emerged out of the dressing room and did a slow spin for her mother.

“Very nice.” the mother commented relaxing a bit.

“The second dress is red with a black widow and web design. A sweetheart neckline, fitted bodice with three button detail and a full swing skirt.” Ashley announced.

The mother shook her head. “I like the cut of the dress but that pattern is a definite no.”

With disappointment Jasmine returned to the fitting room to put the last outfit on to model.

“The last outfit and my personal favorite is composed of a simple white embroidered floral design ruffle trim and lace up detailing corset top. Paired with skinny leg black pants with destroyed accents up the legs. Finishing the outfit is a pair of plain white high heels.”

“I’m not crazy about the pants.”

“Please mom? I’m already putting the red dress back and I really like these pants.” Jasmine pleaded.

“I don’t see why I have to pay for pants with rips up the legs.”

Jasmine nodded and began walking back to the changing room then paused. “Either you buy the pants or I do it to all my pants at home.”

Ashley stifled a laugh and pretended to be busy with things on the counter.

The mom sighed. “Alright Jasmine if it really means that much to you.”

Jasmine nodded in satisfaction then disappeared into the changing room. “Thank you very much for picking tasteful clothes for her.” The mother commented as she pulled out her credit card.

“It’s just the fun part of the job.” Ashley winked as she rang up the clothes.