Canon

twelve.

Today was the last class day before homecoming, which happened to be tomorrow night. I roll out of bed and throw on Niall’s white tee shirt with a pair of shorts and my converse. I take a little longer on my hair than I did my outfit. Once my hair was done I skip out the kitchen door going unnoticed.

‘That shirt seems too big to be your own,’ Rose smirks as I come into homeroom, ‘more like a guy’s but the million-dollar question is: whose shirt is it?’

‘Niall’s.’ I answer with a shrug, ‘or mine – he gave it to me that night after John spilt beer on mine.’

‘Has he seen you?’ she asks curiously.

‘No.’

‘I wonder what his reaction will be…’

‘I think you are the only one who would make a big deal out of it.’

After homeroom I head over to my locker and get my Trig book before heading to class. Niall was sitting in his seat looking at the questions on the board in front of him. We make eye contact and I watch as a small grin appears on his face before quickly disappearing.

‘That looks familiar.’ He mutters behind me just as the bell rings.

‘I just managed to throw what was easiest on today.’ I reply coolly.

‘I think you look nice.’

‘Thanks.’

After class Niall and I walk beside each other down the crowded hallway. It wasn’t hard to notice the looks I received walking close to him. Confusion and jealousy were the most common.

‘So you’re actually going to homecoming with him, yeah?’ he asks catching me off guard.

‘That’s the plan.’

‘Wait so are you with him now or what?’

‘We’re friends.’

‘That’s it?’

‘That’s it.’

‘I hope you enjoy yourself then.’ He murmurs quietly readjusting the green straps of his backpack.

‘You’re being nice today, why?’ I laugh looking up at him.

‘I just decided that I wasn’t going to be a dick anymore.’

‘Good, I like you better this way.’ I say going into the art classroom.

‘You and Niall were looking chummy. Are you not at each other’s throats today?’ Zayn laughs taking his seat.

‘He’s being… better.’ I shrug tying the smock around my waist.

‘What after knocking the shit out of Louis?’ Zayn bends over with laughter, ‘have you seen his face?’

‘Yeah I think he hates me now.’

‘Don’t worry about him. I would’ve did the same thing if it were Rose.’

‘She means that much to you?’

‘I guess you can say I think of her the same way that Niall thinks of you.’

‘Obviously if you’re going to homecoming.’ I laugh getting my paint out.

‘It all be worth it for her.’ He nods his head at Rose who was rushing into the room.

I smile at how he smiled at her. Zayn came off as a kick-ass-now-asking-questions-later type of guy but it was obvious to see how fell over his words around Rose. He would constantly fidget with his unlit cigarette. During class I constantly saw him looking over at her with his dark eyes filled with adoration. He was trying to be mysterious about it but it was cute. The day drags on before gym class was finally over.

‘Lizette!’ Niall calls out jogging with his backpack flopping, ‘wait up!’

‘Yeah?’ I twist the bracelet on my wrist as I come to a nervous stop.

‘I was wondering if you maybe wanted to study for that dumb ass test on Monday.’

‘You want to study with me?’

‘Yeah I mean we can test the theory that two heads are better than one.’

‘Sure, when and where?’

‘How about later this afternoon? We could meet up somewhere if you want.’

‘Okay, just come by my house.’

‘Your house?’ he makes a face at the words.

‘Yeah, is that okay?’

‘Alright, I’ll text you when I’m on my way.’

‘Cool, I’ll see you later.’

‘Bye.’ He nods before walking off to his car.

I smile as I slide down into my car and drive home. My mom was sitting on the sofa reading some novel with her hand on her stomach.

‘Hey Lizzie, how was school?’

‘It was okay.’ I grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator; ‘I’m studying with a friend today.’

‘Does your friend have a name?’

‘Niall.’

‘I’ve never met him.’

‘Yeah, we’ve just started talking but we’re in trigonometry together.’

‘So he must be smart.’

‘Very smart. We just have this test on Monday and it’ll be worth 20% of this semester’s final grade.’ I explain, ‘I’ll be in my room.’

About an hour later Niall texts me to say that he was outside. I hurry from my room and past my parents sitting on the sofa then out the door. Niall was leaning against the sleek black car with his arms across his chest.

‘Hey.’

‘Hey.’ He says in return, ‘that was quick.’

‘Yeah I wasn’t doing anything. Come on.’

‘Your parents here?’

‘I wish you would stop talking about my parents,’ I laugh, ‘they won’t bite. They’re on the sofa watching NCIS.’

‘Great.’ He says sarcastically but follows me anyway.

‘Mom, dad – I’m studying with Niall.’ I call as I close the front door.

‘Bring em in.’ Dad calls just as I knew he would.

‘It’ll be fine.’ I assure Niall looking at his worried eyes. ‘Dad, mom, this is Niall. Niall, these are my parents.’ I introduce them.

‘Great to meet you.’ Mom was the first to speak, ‘there’s food in the oven if you’re hungry.’

‘Thank you.’ Niall nods politely.

‘Nice tattoos.’ Dad gestures at Niall’s inked skin with a tone I couldn’t decipher.

‘Thanks.’

‘We’ll be in the dining room.’ I chime in grabbing a hold of Niall’s arm.

‘I think your dad is going to kill me.’ He stiffs out a laugh as he sits down at the table.

‘I wouldn’t let him.’ I say jokingly, ‘are you hungry?’

‘No, I ate McDonalds on the way.’

‘You just love it there, don’t you?’

‘Lets just say I couldn’t live in a world without it.’

‘I can tell.’

Niall stays over for about two hours before I was walking him out. I stand on the curb beside his car while he stands in the street beside it.

‘I guess I’ll see you on Monday since you have that thing tomorrow.’

‘Homecoming.’ I correct him with a smile, ‘should I save you a seat?’

‘Don’t count on it.’ He smiles in return running a hand through his dyed hair.

‘Monday it is then.’

‘Bye Lizette.’

‘Bye Niall.’ I wave watching as his car drives down the narrow dark road.

Once I turn around I could see that my dad was watching from the window. When I go into the house he has moved from the sofa to the loveseat with the paper in his hands.

‘I really hope you were spying on me dad.’

‘Nope.’

‘Okay, good.’

‘Are you still going to homecoming with Scott?’

‘Yes, why?’

‘I was just curious.’

‘Alright I’m going to bed.’



Today was the day – homecoming. My very last high school homecoming at that. I spent majority of the day with Rose getting ready at her house before rushing back over to mine to get dressed.

‘Liz, Scott’s here.’ My dad calls right at eight thirty.

‘Just a second.’ I call back and slip my feet into the sparkly heels for tonight.

Waiting in the living room beside my dad Scott was dressed in a suit that fit too tightly and his dark hair jelled back. He held a pink corsage in his hands with a smile.

‘You look beautiful.’ Scott and my dad say at the same exact time.

‘Thank you.’

‘Pictures!’ my mom waddles her way from the back.

‘Mom…’ I whine covering my face.

‘Come on just a few.’ She pleads holding up a camera.

‘It wouldn’t hurt.’ Scott grins as he places his hand on my waist keeping it high for my dad’s eyes.

‘Alright, that’s enough.’ I comment after ten pictures and ten poses. ‘We gotta go.’

‘Stay safe you two.’ Dad follows us to the door and watches as Scott drives away.

‘Ready for this?’ Scott grabs my hand and helps me out of the car.

‘As I’ll ever be.’ I nod as he leads me into the school.

We quickly found some of his lacrosse buddies and their dates. I leave his side to walk over to Zayn and Rose. Rose was dressed in a long; flowy red dress with the back cutout while Zayn wore an all black suit with a red rose pinned to it. His black hair was spiked up perfectly. Looking at Zayn I couldn’t help but wonder what Niall would wear tonight if homecoming were his thing.

‘There’s my beautiful date.’ Scott says snaking up behind me, ‘I thought I lost you.’ He wraps his arms around my waist pulling me into him, ‘do you guys wanna sit at our table with us?’ he looks from Zayn to Rose.

‘Oh thanks man but we have a pretty good table already.’ Zayn shrugs, ‘nice suit.’

‘You too.’ Scott replies, ‘I’m gonna go get our drinks.’

‘I’ll come with you.’ Zayn speaks up after Rose nudges his with her elbow.

‘You look amazing.’ She squeals grabbing both of my arms.

‘I love the dress. It may be your best yet.’ I compliment pulling at the material.

‘He thinks so too, he can’t keep his hands off of me.’ Rose gestures her head towards Zayn who was snaking through the dancing couples with Scott.

‘Any sign of Niall?’ Rose questions after awhile.

‘Not yet, I don’t think he’ll show.’ I respond as my bag lets out a chimed buzz, ‘I’ll be right back.’

‘What do I tell Scott?’

‘Tell him that I’ll be right back.’

I slip my phone back down into my purse as I walk towards the front of the school. Couples had each other pressed against the old lockers in deep make out sessions. Outside in the middle of the parking lot Niall’s black mustang waited. I slid down into the passenger seat and close the door behind me.

‘What are you doing here?’

‘I just wanted to see you.’ He admits in a whisper, ‘it was worth driving to this hellhole on a Saturday night.’

‘You wanted to see me?’

‘Yeah. Does that make me pathetic?’

‘No, I wanted to see you too. Maybe in a suit but this is nice too.’ I smile looking at his faded black jeans.

‘I’m here, isn’t that enough?’ he laughs looking at me, ‘where’s your date?’

‘Inside.’

‘Great.’ Niall pipes sarcastically.

‘Do you want to come inside?’

‘I never got a ticket.’

‘Honestly, if you did have a ticket you wouldn’t have came in.’

‘Probably just to see what you had on.’

‘This is completely girlish but do you like my dress?’

‘I love it.’ He mutters not looking at me, ‘wanna go for a quick drive?’

‘Where to?’

‘Just around.’ He replies pulling the car from the parking lot.

Niall and I ended up at some park not too far from the school. He absentmindedly picks at his thumbnail leaning back in the leather seats.

‘You’re staring.’ He speaks out of nowhere, ‘why?’

‘I don’t know. I’m just wondering what it is about you that has everyone scared.’

‘I take zero shit.’ He jokes looking over at me, ‘I don’t like to be messed with either.’

‘I’m not scared of you.’

‘Oh really?’ he raises an eyebrow.

‘No.’

‘You haven’t seen me at my worst.’ He goes back to picking at his thumbnail.

Minutes later Niall’s phone starts ringing in his pocket. He stares at the screen for a few seconds before taking the call.

‘I’ll be right there.’ He hangs up the phone and fastens his seat belt, ‘I really need to stop somewhere. Just hang on.’ He tells me and peels his car down the abandoned street.

We come to a stop outside of a small white house with some man in the yard throwing random objects throughout the yard. He throws his hands in the air and continues to throw things. Neighbors were sanding on their steps looking out at the man.

‘Stay here.’ Niall commands and hurries out of the car.

As Niall’s rushing through the yard I roll down the window to get a better look. Once the window is down I could hear the man’s curse words slurring from his lips. He was obviously drunk.

‘What in the hell are you doing?!’ Niall shouts angrily grabbing the man’s hand. ‘Dad! Stop!’

Did he just say… dad?