Canon

seventeen.

A loud crack of thunder causes me to jump slightly on Niall’s bed making it squeak. He takes his eyes off of the movie he was watching to look at me. I watch as he rolls out of the bed and moves back the thin blue curtains. Rain fell hard outside rapidly as lightening brightened the sky every few seconds. Our phones chime in unison on his bed. It was a text alert saying how there was a major storm rolling through town tonight.

‘I better get going.’ I stand up from the bed to get my shoes.

‘I would not recommend driving in this. You don’t exactly stay down the road.’

‘No, I really need to get home. My dad’s probably losing it right now. It’s nearly midnight.’

‘Just call him and tell him you’re staying at a friend’s until the storm dies down.’ Niall suggests with a shrug.

‘All right.’

I play it safe and call my mom to let her know that I would be at Rose’s since it was storming then text Rose to go along with it if my dad calls her house for any reason. I slip out of the bathroom then return to Niall’s room.

‘You good?’

‘We’re good.’ I nod sitting back beside him on the bed.

‘Let me get you something to put on.’ Niall mutters before rolling out of the bed.

He grabs a black shirt and tosses it over to me. I hold the material in my hands looking at the design on it. Derby County Rams.

‘Rams?’ I raise an eyebrow at him glancing up from the shirt.

‘It’s a team in Ireland.’ He answers grabbing the remote in his hands.

‘Your favorite?’

‘Used to be. My dad and I always went to the games before we came to America. Back when he was half decent.’

‘It sounds like you two had fun.’ I reply going back into the bathroom to put on Niall’s shirt.

Just as I flop back into the bed another deafening crack of thunder shoots through the air.

‘What are you looking at?’ I laugh shaking my head at Niall.

‘Nothing.’ He responds directing his eyes back at the TV. ‘Are you watching this?’

‘Not really.’

‘Me either.’ He suddenly turns the TV off and rolls over in the bed. ‘I’m sorry for the way I acted.’

‘Are you just saying sorry now then you’ll do it again in a couple of days?’

‘It’s not like I like being this way.’

‘Then don’t.’

‘You make it sound easy.’ He presses his forehead to mine closing his eyes.

‘It may not be easy but it’s not as hard as you make it seem.’

‘I’m trying.’

He presses his lips to mine griping a hand on my waist. I grab a hand full of his dyed hair deepening the kiss. My legs brush against the hair of his sending chills through my body. I pull away to catch my breath resting my head on Niall’s chest. His arms wrap around my waist comfortingly. His chin rests on my head before I fall asleep. We end up falling asleep allowing the storm to pass. It was eight in the morning when Niall rolling from his bed wakes me up.

‘Sorry.’ He murmurs walking over to the window.

‘How’s it looking out there?’

‘Tree fell out back,’ he chimes sitting back down on the side of his bed, ‘Other than that I say the close is clear.’

‘All right. I better get going.’ I sit up in the bed as well to stretch my arms and legs.

‘Do you have to?’ he groans running his large hand through his hair.

‘I hate to.’ I retort leaning my head on his toned back as I trace all of his tattoos.

‘Then don’t.’ Niall turns on the bed to kiss me.

‘I have to.’ I open my eyes once I feel the loss of contact.

‘Keep the shirt.’

‘Are you sure? I mean I already have one in my possession.’

‘Like I said before – I have plenty.’

I smile at him slipping my feet into my shoes as I toss my clothes in purse. Niall stands from his feet then walks over to open his bedroom door. I follow him out to the front yard digging for my car keys.

‘Do you want to get lunch with me tomorrow?’ I look down at our intertwined hands.

Niall may have only reached for my hand to ensure that I didn’t fall on my ass on the slick stairs but it was enough for me. His hand wrapped firmly around mine as he led the way to the driveway. I use my thumb to draw circles against his skin.

‘Only if we don’t sit at that table with Zayn’s fucking groupies.’

‘We can sit at our very own table.’

‘Fine.’ He caves in with a quick nod.

‘I’ll text you later.’

‘Okay.’ He leans in to kiss my cheek with one of his famous grins before pulling away, ‘later.’

‘Bye.’ I melt in my seat instantly.

I quickly go upstairs going unnoticed as I sneak into my room. After showering I place Niall’s shirt into the dirty clothes hamper to wash later.

‘I didn’t hear you come in.’ my mom bounces Elijah in her arms hovering in the doorway, ‘do you want some lunch?’

‘Yeah, I came in pretty early this morning.’

‘How was Rose’s?’

‘It was good.’

I was never the one to lie to their parents about where they’ve been all night long but this was different. If I called my dad last night and told him I was waiting the storm out with Niall he would’ve put on his boots, driven through the storm, and pulled me from Niall’s house. There’s no telling what he would’ve done to Niall.

‘That’s good. I’m going to make lunch. Call you when it’s ready.’

‘Thanks mom.’

Niall and I spent the afternoon texting about class, last night, and every thing else in between. We ended up texting throughout the night and up until I fell asleep after one in the morning. I wake up late for school so I scramble to get dressed. I squeeze into a pair of jeans and an oversized sweater complimented with a large scarf with a simple pair of flats.

‘Overslept, gotta go.’ I call into the kitchen as I snatch up my backpack and purse for the day.

‘Hold on.’ Dad stands to his feet setting the paper down, ‘let me look at you.’

‘Dad.’ I whine looking at the clock on the wall. ‘You know that school frowns heavily upon tardiness.’

‘Okay, you look nice. Go. Eat something at school or your mother will ring my neck.’

‘I will.’

I make it to school with a few minutes to spare since I decided to stop off at Sonic. I eat in the car careful not to waste anything on my clothes. I rush to homeroom and take my seat just before the tardy bell rings.

‘There she is.’ Rose cheers looking up from her phone.

‘Overslept.’

‘Now are you going to tell me why exactly I was apart of your cover story? What did you do?’

‘I was at Niall’s.’

‘Oh really? So you finally talked to him?’

‘Yeah, I maybe stayed the night.’

‘You what?’ she gawks loudly, ‘and everyone thought you were this good girl.’

‘Rose!’ I hiss looking away from all of the stares, ‘It wasn’t like that.’

‘So what was it like?’

‘The storm hit right when I was at his place so I just stayed over and left early yesterday morning.’

‘Are you two okay?’

‘We’re fantastic.’

‘Maybe the four of us can hang out again.’

‘That’d be cool.’

‘Yeah like a double date.’

Double date. Niall and I never discussed dating, ever. Well if you count our encounter outside of the cafeteria as discussing dating. Where Niall shouted how he’d never date me. I don’t count it.

‘Hello earth to Lizette.’ Rose snaps her thin fingers in front of me.

‘We’ll see.’

‘Okay we’ll go bowling or something.’

‘Sure.’

After class I eagerly walk to Trigonometry to meet up with Niall. Niall walks down the hallway absentmindedly making all of the girls want him and the guys want to be him. He was dressed in a pair of dark washed jeans and a tight white tee shirt along with a denim vest. His black and white Nike sneakers squeaked against the hall’s floor as he walked.

‘Good morning.’ I singsong once he nears me.

‘Morning.’ He responds leaning down to kiss me.

As much as I was stunned by Niall’s public display of affection I return his kiss. A few people gasp and stare but we slip into the Trigonometry room. During class Niall whispers behind me about Dr. Werner’s lecturing. Once the bell finally does ring Niall pushes the door open for me.

‘Are we still on for lunch?’

‘I don’t see why not.’ Niall replies as we come to a stop outside of the art room, ‘see you at lunch.’

‘Don’t be late.’ I lean forward and kiss his lips with a smile.

‘I won’t.’ he readjusts his backpack on his shoulder.

Two class periods pass me by before it was time to meet Niall for lunch. I toss all of my things into my backpack zipping it up to go. I use my phone to check the time and follow everyone else out of the room.

‘Hey Lizette.’ Louis jumps in front of me walking backwards.

‘Hey, Louis. I really need to get going.’

‘It’ll only take a second.’ He insists with a sly smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope everyone enjoyed the new chapter! be sure to comment, subscribe, and recommend the story for your friends if you'd like.

If I Was Your Boyfriend and Canon will now be updated on Mondays and Fridays.

Still The One and Kiss Me, Kiss Me will be updated on Wednesdays and Sundays.

have a good day and thanks for reading!
new twitter name: @schmidtfthoran!