Canon

seventy four.

‘Baby, I have to go,’ I stifle out a short laugh against Niall’s mouth only to be pulled in for yet another kiss. ‘Rose is already in the parking lot. She texted me five minutes ago.’ Our lips mesh against one another effortlessly, neither one of us wanting to let go. Niall ignores my comment and continues to further the kiss, placing his large hands on each side of my face.

‘What do I have to say to get you to stay?’ Niall mutters into the kiss, only breaking away slightly to get his words out, ‘Say it and its yours. We could just sit here just like this for the rest of the day.’ His hands move from my face to hold me on his lap by my waist.

‘That is so tempting but I have to go. Rose will never forgive me if I flake on her, besides, I need to get a prom dress before they’re all gone in a few weeks.’ I press my lips against his once more as he loosens his grip on my waist, allowing me to slide slowly from his lap. ‘Are you going to walk me down?’

‘Fine.’ He caves in while grabbing his keys from the coffee table and throwing my floral duffle bag over his shoulder.

I wait patiently against the wall while he takes his time to lock his apartment door. He glances over his shoulder with a near invisible grin before sliding his fingers between mine. In the elevator, I feel myself pressed against the wall as Niall lowers himself to meet my lips. ‘Are you still trying to make me stay?’

‘A little.’ He smirks as the door glides open and some older woman with her Yorkie slip into the elevator. I quickly retreat from his arms causing him to tilt his head back with a light groan, ‘How are you today, ma’am?’

‘Doing well, thank you. I’m sorry that I interrupted,’ She speaks eyeing me and Niall closely, ‘things.’

‘No, no, no. It’s not what you think. I mean, we would never do anything like that. We’re not like that whatsoever.’ I blabber until Niall pulls me into his chest, shaking his head with an amused grin.

‘Have a good day.’ Niall speaks while pulling me from the elevator. ‘Smooth, Lizette.’

Rose parked her bright red Beetle convertible right near the main entrance of the building. She fixates her eyes on Niall and me as he follows behind me closely. Rose attempts to hold back a childish smirk as he opens the back door. ‘Hi Niall.’ She singsongs setting aside her phone.

‘How’s it going?’ He comments in return before he directs his attention back towards me. ‘Call once you get to Detroit so I know that you made it, okay?’

‘Whatever you say, daddy.’ I whisper into his ear while snaking my arms around his neck to pull him closer.

‘Oh, the things that you do to me Lizette Matthews.’ He speaks lowly causing my stomach to tighten. ‘Have fun. I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ I sneak in one more kiss before sliding down into Rose’s car, ‘bye bye.’

He waves before walking back towards his apartment with his hands shoved down into his back pockets. ‘Wasn’t that cute? He practically got in the car with you.’ Rose taunts fastening her seat belt, ‘Isn’t it shitty how our boyfriends hate each other so we can never go on double dates?’

‘Speaking of boyfriends, how is Zayn? Mysterious as ever?’ I attempt to change the subject settling down into the leather material.

‘He’s fine. He’s been looking into jobs in California so he can be close when I go to UCLA. He wants to take night classes at community college somewhere for a business degree.’ She breathes out happily. Rose was oozing with optimism and warmth.

‘I haven’t seen you this happy in ages.’ I smile over at her as we ease onto the highway. ‘I’m glad that things are working out with you and Zayn.’

‘Thank you, I feel happy. Of course, this hasn’t been my easiest relationship – not by a long shot. Zayn somehow makes it worth it, he makes me feel sexy and smart and funny all at the same time. I just want to be with him all the time, do you know what I mean?’ She questions as she continues to declare her love for Zayn.

I knew the feeling very well. Being with Niall was far from easy but he always made it seem worth it. Falling in love with him was probably the easiest thing I’ve ever done. As dramatic as it seems, I already missed him when I only left his arms a mere twenty minutes ago. ‘We’re actually those annoying girls who can’t stop talking about their relationships for five minutes.’ I say through a laugh, resisting the urge to text Niall just to see what he’s doing.

‘Alright, let’s make a pact. No boyfriends this weekend. No texting. No talking to or about. Just you and I, like old times. Are you in?’ Rose extends a hand, keeping her eyes on the crowded highway.

‘I’m in.’

Around three hours later, we were finally in Detroit. I hadn’t been in years, not since our families took a trip together during summer break. From what I could remember, we stayed for a solid week. I slowly drag my cramped legs into the hotel’s lobby behind Rose. While she checks us in, I send Niall a quick text saying that I made it safely and toss my phone down into my purse. No boyfriends this weekend. ‘So, I made a list of potential stores with the best dresses.’ I chime pulling up the note on my phone.

‘Always so organized.’ Rose retorts while tossing her clothes aside once they’re out of her suitcase. ‘Let’s get to it.’

Niall’s Point of View

I absentmindedly hit at the little rubber buttons on the remote, dying to find something decent to watch. It’s only when Lizette has other plans that I realize how empty my life actually is without her. She was my best friend, my only friend. My eyes bored into some random show on TV. What the hell am I supposed to do all by myself? I bite the inside of my cheek while flicking my spare lighter repeatedly. A knock on my door catches my full attention easily. I plant my feet to the floor before twisting the doorknob slowly. Fucking John was the last person I thought I would see. Thank God Lizette wasn’t here. They knew just how much of a weakness she was for me. I constantly got blinded when it came to her. They loved using it against me. ‘What the fuck do you want?’ I could practically feel myself trembling with sudden rage.

‘Down boy. I’m only here to pass along a message.’

‘Still Damon’s lackey, huh? I must say that I’m pressed that you manage to breathe with your head so far up his ass.’

‘Big man, are you now?’ John folds his thick arms across his chest. ‘The only reason that I haven’t beat your ass to a pulp for that little stunt at my house is because of Damon. Anyway, Damon is tired of this little chase between you two. It’s time for you to end it.’

‘Not like I haven’t heard that lie before,’ I speak through a skeptical scoff, ‘but I’ll bite. What does he want now?’

‘Just one final meeting. Man to man. He wants you to come by tomorrow – like old time’s sake.’

‘Fuck him.’

‘Aw, Irish.’ John steps backward to lean against the wall with his massive body. ‘Don’t be like that. I’m sure you don’t want to disappoint him.’ With that, he pushes himself from the wall and presses the button for the elevator, ‘Be sure to tell Lizette that I say hello.’

I slam the door closed before sliding down to the floor, more aggressively flicking the lighter in my palm. By the time I finally calmed down, I could swear that the skin on my thumb was raw.

Hey just letting you know that we made it and that I love you very much – Lizette.

I love you. Have a good trip and I’ll see you tomorrow – Niall.
Also send plenty of pics – Niall.

Somehow that’s all it took. I instantly forgot about Damon and how insanely bored I was. The power of Lizette I guess. I don’t know what she does or how she does it, I’m just grateful for her.

Lizette’s Point of View

‘I think I may be in love.’ I call over to Rose while in the expansive dressing room. We spent the last couple of hours in and out of dress shops throughout Detroit. I run my hands down the beaded material, falling more and more in love with every second. The dress was gold with plenty of accents. The neckline was lower than anything I had ever worn and it clung to me in just the right way. I had to admit, it looked pretty damn good. I felt good. ‘Rose, this is the one.’

‘C’mon, let me see!’ She beams, tapping away at the door repeatedly. ‘I’m dying with anticipation out here.’ I carefully step out of the dressing room, making sure not to fall on my face due to the length of the dress. ‘Wow.’ She blinks, placing her hands on her hips. ‘I could kill you right now I’m so jealous. You look incredible! Definitely buy it. Right now.’

‘I think I will.’ I twirl around like those blushing bride to be’s on those wedding shows that I spend hours watching. ‘What about you? Any dress calling out to you yet?’

‘No! I’m actually struggling. Every time I think that that I’ve found the dress – I hate it five seconds later.’

‘Let me just take this off and I’ll help you.’ I respond going back into the dressing room to secure the dress of my dreams. As soon as I was dressed, I carefully snake through the suddenly crowded shop and pay for my dress. ‘Alright, let’s find you something amazing.’

‘Okay so I know that we have agreed not to talk about our boyfriends this weekend,’ Rose starts as we walk back to her car after buying her dream dress, ‘but did you send Niall those pictures he asked for?’

‘I did, all but the last one. I want that to be a surprise.’ I speak coyly, pulling out my phone to make sure he got the pictures because of the spotty service back in the dressing room. ‘How about you?’

‘Same here. I’m saving the last one for prom night.’

Rose and I end up stopping at some pizzeria with slices as big as our heads. The oversized toppings were literally dripping off each time I picked it up. I smile to myself knowing how much Niall would love this place. Once we’re back at the hotel, Rose calls first dibs on the shower. I decide to briefly break our “no boyfriends” deal to call Niall just to hear his voice and say goodnight.

‘Hey.’ He answers and I could immediately tell that something was bothering him. I could hear it in his voice, a hint of tension and annoyance. ‘How’s your girls’ trip going?’

‘No, no, no.’ I frown to myself, knowing that he couldn’t see my furrowed eyebrows. ‘What’s going on?’

‘Lizette, I am a big boy. I’m more than capable of handling my shit while you’re out of the city. Trust me, it’s nothing you need to be worried about.’ Niall forces out an uncomfortable laugh on the other side of the phone. Putting on a brave face, as always. ‘Thank you for the pictures by the way. I must say they made me miss you that much more.’

‘I miss you too.’ I reply, laying down in the queen-sized bed Rose and I would be sharing for the night. I could hear the shower’s handles squeak as they’re turned off. ‘Do you want to get dinner when I get back?’

‘Dinner sounds good.’

‘You better not be talking to your boyfriend, Lizette!’ Rose calls out after a while of silence.

‘Oops, no boyfriends this weekend.’ I sigh heavily, not wanting the conversation to end just yet, ‘I better get going before Rose throws my phone away but I will see you tomorrow night.’

‘I love you.’ He muses and I could practically see the wide, genuine smile right now. ‘Goodnight baby.’

‘Goodnight, I love you.’

With that, I’m sure to hide my phone before Rose actually does throw it away.