Canon

seventy five.

‘I would say that this was a very successful trip.’ Rose calls as she pumps the gas before we get onto the highway.

‘Big pizza and our dream dresses, what else did we need?’

‘Honestly, it just made me miss you more though.’

‘What do you mean?’ I question, looking up from my phone.

‘We’re going to two different colleges, completely across the country from each other. It’ll be weird not being able to pop up at your house or copy your homework when I forget to do mine.’ She breathes out a laugh and I could hear her voice slightly cracking.

‘You’re right but we’ll just have to find new ways. Send me a picture of your homework and I will get it done as quick as I can. Plus, if you think I’m not spending spring break in LA with you, you are insane.’

‘Promise?’ Rose wonders while slipping back down into the driver’s seat.

‘Promise.’ I confirm, ‘You better visit me in DC.’

‘Try keeping me out.’

Niall’s Point of View

I sit in my car, staring at John’s house. I guess a part of me knew that I shouldn’t be here. I should be getting ready to meet Lizette for dinner. Why? I always let Damon pull me back into his shit. I was out of options. He’ll just keep coming after Lizette and that’s the last thing I wanted to happen. My phone lets out a chime in the empty passenger seat beside me. Just like clockwork.

Home! I’m going to shower and get ready.. let you know when. – Lizette.

See you soon

Finally, John’s big ass SUV peels down the gravel road and stops in front of the house with a loud screech. Damon leaps out and tosses a lit cigarette down into the dirt before leading the way into the house. John glances over at me and gestures his head towards the house. Here goes nothing. I grab a hold of my phone before rolling out of the car and following John to the back of the house. Damon’s sitting in the den in some broken down recliner with his hands folded. Always a fan of the dramatics. He looked straight out of some mobster movie. ‘Irish,’ he breathes out dramatically running his hand over his chin, ‘So happy that you decided to join us after all. Did you enjoy the ride over? I know ever since you moved to the cushy side of town how pesky the drive can be.’

‘Let’s just skip the foreplay. I’m here, what do you want?’

Damon and John exchange amused looks before Damon slides forward in the chair. It squeaks and I thought for sure he would fall on his ass. I’d actually pay to see that, ‘Have you ever met someone so ungrateful, Johnnie?’ Damon scoffs, directing his attention to John.

‘Not like him.’

‘Ungrateful? What in the fuck do I have to be grateful towards you for?’

‘You should grateful that I saved your ass years ago when you were so helplessly staring down the barrel of a shotgun. You should be grateful that I didn’t point the cops in your direction. You should be grateful that I merely maimed that drug-itching brother of yours. You should be grateful for every drunken breath that I let your father take. You should be grateful that I have not so much as laid a finger on Lizzie’s beautiful head, or anywhere else. I suggest you sit down and shut your damn mouth before I start being anything less than gracious.’

I refrain from jumping on him because I knew John would hold me back while Damon laid into me. For Lizette, do it for Lizette. Damon knew that I could give a shit about Greg or Bobby so he wouldn’t even waste his time on them. He would go straight for Lizette. I sit on the couch, biting the inside of my cheek so hard that I could taste the blood. ‘Much better.’ Damon smirks please and I wanted more than anything to wipe the smug look from his face. ‘Now, Johnnie – go get Irish and I a few drinks, will you?’

‘You got it.’ John nods, not even batting an eye at Damon’s command. What a lap dog. I wonder if Damon is still sleeping with his sister.

‘I know that you don’t like my company so why am I here? You’ve already cost me fifteen hundred dollars so what else do you want?’

‘No, I did not cost you fifteen hundred dollars – Lizzie did. The Irish that I knew wasn’t so weak or so easily swayed. Definitely not by a piece of ass. No, no that is all her doing. So if anyone owes you anything, it’s her. I’m betting that she has more than happily paid back those funds through other means.’ The more he talked, the harder I gripped the torn material. I was using everything within me to not bounce my leg with anger.

John comes back with several cans of cheap beer in his arms and carefully sets them down on the table in between me and Damon. Damon doesn’t hesitate in cracking the top on the first can. ‘Help yourself, Irish.’ John snorts, grabbing a can for himself.

‘I don’t drink, but you both knew that.’ I check my watch, wondering when Damon was going to end this charade of his. ‘Knock yourselves out.’

‘Irish, you really used to be the life of the party and now she’s turned you soft and boring.’ Damon shakes his head towards me, apparently disappointed. ‘What a shame.’

‘When your messenger said that you wanted a meeting, I wasn’t expecting to sit here with a couple of beers and dream about what could’ve been. That’s a little kumbaya for you, isn’t it Damon?’

‘You’re right, you’re right. I want to form a truce, clean and new. You stay out of my way and I’ll stay out of yours. How about we let bygones be bygones, yeah?’ Damon extends a hand out to me and I tried to study his face for any sign. Nothing. He was soulless, so there was no looking into his eyes. ‘Just one condition.’

‘What?’

‘Let me have Lizzie, just for one day. No foul, no harm – just a nice and friendly conversation. Just like this one.’

‘Fuck you.’ I growl, standing to my feet. ‘I’m done entertaining your shit. If you come near her, I’ll end you and your flunkies.’

With that, I kick John’s screen door open so hard that it rattles the rusted metal railing. I couldn’t get to her fast enough. I just wanted to hold her, feel her. To my fault, I wanted to see her a little too bad. I speed right past the blacked-out squad car doing 50 something in a 40. I throw my head against the seat, hoping this doesn’t travel back to Lizette’s dad. Just great. ‘License, registration, and insurance.’

‘Sure.’ I mutter, bending over to dig in the glove department. As I’m feeling inside of the glove department, I only feel something cold and hard. What the hell?

Lizette’s Point of View

‘Hi, it’s me. Again.’ I sigh into Niall’s voicemail, ‘I am currently sitting in my room, all dressed up and waiting for you. You’re never late and I have to admit that I’m kind of getting worried. Just call me back whenever you get this so I can stop worrying. Alright? I love you, bye bye.’

‘You’re back in front of the window,’ My mom taunts with a smile, ‘Is Niall running late?’

‘He’s not answering his phone which isn’t like him and he’s never canceled plans with me before.’ I pace back and forth in front of the window, wiping my clammy hands on my dress. ‘Do you think something’s wrong?’

‘No, I don’t. You have to calm down sweetie,’ She immediately assures me, ‘He’s probably on his way but he doesn’t have his phone.’

‘I hope so.’

‘Why don’t you show me this amazing prom dress that you fell in love with? I’m dying to see it.’

‘You can’t,’ I speak partially defensive, ‘I’m waiting until prom night. I want it to be a surprise.’ The moment that Rose and I got back from Detroit, I hid the dress in the very back of my closet. ‘I can’t wait for you to see it but you have to wait until prom night, just like everyone else.’

‘I thought moms had some sort of perks.’ She urges while I plant my feet in front of the window once again.

Where are you? When I talked to Niall this morning he seemed great. We were going to our favorite Thai place and then trying out some new gelato stand downtown. He said he had the entire night planned. I hold my phone in my hand just in case he called. My phone lets out its usual chime and I tense up, ready to question Niall. It was my dad. ‘Hey, dad.’ I attempt to hide my disappointment, still peering out the window. ‘What’s up?’

‘I’m not sure how to really say this,’ He responds on the other end before a series of clearing his throat, ‘Your boyfriend’s just been arrested.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read the latest chapter! It's been awhile since the last update but I have been buried in classes. Now that I have a better handling of my schedule, I hope that I can update on a more regular basis. I hope that you still interest in Canon. Feel free to comment with your thoughts, subscribe, and recommend! Thanks again!