Canon

eight.

It was Monday morning and my head still racked from Niall’s text and Scott asking me to go out with him again. I sit in homeroom a full fifteen minutes early finishing up the weekend’s trigonometry homework.

‘Someone was MIA all weekend.’ Rose taunts as she sits down beside me in the empty desk.

Rose places her floral backpack carefully on top of the desk and immediately pulls out her phone. Her thumbs tap away at the screen as she sends someone an iMessage. I shrug and finish up the last set of problems before the final bell rings.

‘I went with Zayn to this underground place and saw one of the bands he likes.’ She informs me after awhile. ‘Niall dropped by.’

‘Okay?’

‘He said you’ve been standoffish with him for the last few days.’

‘I wonder why.’ I say sarcastically, ‘can we please talk about something other than Niall Horan.’

‘We can talk about homecoming, aren’t you just excited? It’s our last one!’ she beams excitedly bouncing in her seat.

‘Yeah,’ I sigh running my hand through my hair, ‘it’s next week.’

‘There’s so much to do.’ Rose says exasperatedly, ‘and he still hasn’t asked me yet.’

‘Who? Zayn?’

‘Who else Liz?’ she scoffs looking up from her phone, ‘of course Zayn.’

‘Oh, I didn’t think he’d be cool with that. The whole homecoming, dressing up, fruit punch in the gym type thing.’

‘We haven’t talked about it yet.’ Rose admits nervously picking at her thumb, ‘you don’t think he’ll ask me?’

‘I don’t know what I was talking about. Of course he’ll ask you.’ I nod, ‘why wouldn’t he?’

‘Okay, good.’ She perks up in her seat, ‘you nearly gave me a heart attack!’

‘Sorry.’ I mutter in response pulling out my own phone.

I had a text from both Niall and Scott. I sit there for a moment debating which message I should open first. I go with Niall’s and study the set of words in front of me.

Going to miss trig today. Could you copy the homework down for me? – Niall.

Good morning. Just wanted to thank you again for the help. – Scott.

‘Who are you texting?’ Rose leans over with curiosity.

‘No one.’ I slip my phone into my purse before she could make out the name on the screen.

Trigonometry was dull without Niall behind me making snide comments about the lecture. He’d mutter how he could do the work in his sleep or how he could teach the class better than Dr. Werner ever could. In Art Appreciation Rose’s easel was covered by a thin white sheet.

‘What’s that?’ I question looking at Zayn as I sit down on my stool.

‘Something.’ He answers running a hand over his stubble.

‘Hey guys.’ Rose plops down between Zayn and I, ‘who covered my easel.’

‘I have no idea.’ Zayn says with a smiling playing on his lips. ‘Take it off.’

Underneath the sheet was a perfectly drawn picture of Rose. I could tell instantly that it was Zayn’s work. Attached to the paper there were a single red rose and two tickets to homecoming.

‘Homecoming?’ Rose turns to stare at Zayn, ‘really?’

‘I mean sure it’s not my thing but you’re into it so why not.’ Zayn shrugs coolly. ‘I’m not dancing.’

‘You’re the best.’ She throws her arms around him and he returns the gesture. ‘We’re going to have the best time.’

‘If you say so.’ He laughs, ‘I’m sure I throw a better party.’

‘Lizette!’ Becky calls out during lunch period, ‘come sit! Long time no see.’

I walk over to their table with my tray and sit down with them. Becky, Faylen, and Elena were some of my lacrosse friends. Lacrosse friends meaning they dated players on the team just like I did with Scott.

‘We haven’t seen you in ages!’ Faylen says dramatically, ‘at least not since you and Scottie boy broke up.’

‘Yeah, you know how they are about Lacrosse.’ I open the tea bottle and bring it to my lips.

‘So Scott told Jonathan that you tutored him the other night.’ Elena raises an eyebrow at me, ‘are you two finally back together?’

‘That’s all I did – tutored him.’

‘But you know he hasn’t dated anyone since you two split.’

‘Scott and I are just friends, if that. I mean we don’t hate each other but I’m not rushing back into a relationship with him either.’

‘Here he comes!’ Becky claps happily.

‘Shit.’ I mutter to myself shifting over in my seat.

‘There you are,’ Scott smiles taking the empty seat beside me, ‘I just wanted to tell you that I got a B.’ he holds up his test proudly.

‘Way to go!’ I compliment him, ‘told you that you could pass it.’

‘Only with the help of you.’ He wraps an arm around me for a hug.

‘Anytime.’ I return his embrace briefly.

‘Well I better go get something to eat before its all gone. I’ll see you around.’

‘See you.’

‘Bye Scott.’ All of the girls singsong.

‘Later.’ He laughs tossing his backpack over his shoulder.

‘That was so cute!’ Elena squeals as Becky and Faylen laugh. ‘You have to go to homecoming together.’

‘Yeah, you two would totally win homecoming king and queen.’

‘Scott and I are not going to homecoming together. That’d be too weird.’

‘He practically tripped on his feet trying to get over to you.’

‘I am not having this discussion with you guys anymore.’ I shake my head glancing around the cafeteria.

To my surprise, Niall stood not too far from the table with an angry expression on his face. I’m guessing he just saw my exchange with Scott. He catches my stare and shakes his head several times.

‘I’ll see you guys later.’ I say grabbing my backpack and hurrying towards Niall. ‘Niall!’

‘I’m sorry did I interrupt your time with your boyfriend?’ he hisses at me then shoves the door open before heading outside.

‘Scott is not my boyfriend!’ I defend, ‘I already told you that.’

‘You two seemed pretty cozy to me.’ Niall glares back at the cafeteria.

‘If you want to go out just ask!’ I shout at him angrily.

‘What?’

‘I said if you want to go out with me – just ask!’

‘What makes you think that I want to go out with you?’

‘The way you get all pissed off when I bring up Scott! We went out in the past and we’re over. If you’re just too cool to actually let someone close to you then don’t get mad at me when you see me talking to someone.’

‘You don’t know what you’re talking about,’ Niall growls, ‘I would never go out with you so whatever little fantasy you had in your mind I suggest you drop it now.’ With that Niall storms off into the building leaving me there.
♠ ♠ ♠
be sure to comment, subscribe, and recommend the story! have a great day (: