Beacon Hills Exclusive

Blood Sports

“What do we need to do?” Scott walked closer to me, running a hand through his messy hair.

“Tomorrow, I have practice. I’ll meet you at Derek’s after,” I put my hands on my hips. “Go directly there after school,”

“Alright,” Scott sighed. “I guess I’ll head home now,”

“I’ll drive you,” I smiled, rubbing his back lightly as he turned to walk out of the bedroom. “Stiles, call me if you need anything. Okay?”

“I will,” He smiled, waving goodbye to both of us.

Scott and I walked down the stairs and out of the house, locking the door behind us. I walked to the car quickly, unlocking the doors for Scott. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, why?” I raised an eyebrow, slipping into the driver’s seat.

Both of us closed our doors, putting on our seatbelts. “You seem shaken up,”

“I was worried about you,” I shrugged, pulling out of the driveway. “I didn’t want you to be mad at me. I wanted you to understand I’m just trying to protect you,”

“I’m fine,” Scott smiled, trying to reassure me. “I know you did all of this for me and Stiles. I just…. It sucks,”

“It’s confusing,” I laughed. “Most teenagers don’t wake up one day and realize they’re a werewolf,”

Scott laughed, looking down. “You’ve got a text,”

“From who?” I raised an eyebrow, turning right down Scott’s street.

“Matt with a camera emoji,” Scott sounded like he expected an explanation. I felt myself blush as I stopped the car in front of his house and Scott started laughing, handing me my phone. “Holy crap! You like that guy, don’t you?”

“He’s cute,” I shrugged. “Why?”

“I just didn’t think you had feelings for other guys,” I knew exactly who Scott was hinting at.

“Stiles doesn’t want to make a move unless my name is Lydia Martin,” I bit the inside of my right cheek, annoyed. “Since Lydia has Jackson that just leaves Stiles to obsess over her and me on the sidelines. So, until Stiles would like to come to his senses, I’ll have fun,”

Scott paused for a moment, looking back at me before he left the car. “Don’t be fooled by the way he chases her. Just because he thinks she’s pretty, doesn’t mean you aren’t beautiful,”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I raised an eyebrow, crossing my arms.

“It means don’t rule anything out,” Scott smirked. “If werewolves are real, anything is possible,”

Before I got the chance to question him, Scott darted out of the car and into his house. I shook my head, looking down to see Matt’s text. ’I’m not sure if you are sick or anything but my break is coming up at Java Moon and I was wondering if maybe you wanted a nice cup of ‘ye old brew’.

’Art thou on break now? Maketh a cup of ‘ye finest brew as I shall arrive before dusk’. I rolled my eyes at myself, beginning to drive to the coffee shop a few blocks away.

I parked my car in the first spot near the front door at the small, brick building when Matt answered me. ’Come in, my beautiful maiden!’

I smiled, walking into the small coffee shop. I locked my car with my beeper before closing the shop’s door behind me. Matt’s eyes caught mine through the dimly-lit building. He was sitting at a small table towards the right, grinning madly with two red cups in front of him. I walked to him, sitting down across from him. “Sorry I look like Lucifer attacked me. I didn’t expect to see anyone extra important today,”

“Extra important?” Matt took a sip of his coffee, smirking. “I like that. Almost as much as I like my coffee. Try yours,”

“What’s in it?” I asked, taking a sip. “It tastes literally like perppermint bark,”

“You like it?” His smile made me giggle because he had a small amount of whipped cream on his upper lip.

“It’s perfect,” I smiled. I reached across the table, taking my pointer finger to Matt’s lip. I wiped away the small amount of topping that was there, cleaning it off with my mouth. Matt looked flushed, making me giggle. “Cinnamon whipped cream? I didn’t know they ever make that,”

“They don’t,” Matt stated proudly. “I made it myself,”

“I’m proud,” I smiled, taking another sip of my coffee. “So, did you prepare for Friday?”

“Jackson found me in the halls to tell me to mind my manners,” He laughed, taking another sip from his mug. “Apparently, Lydia told him we were ’talking,’”

“Lydia is a smart cookie,” I laughed. “So, tell me about yourself,”

“I’m Matt,” He pointed to himself, smiling proudly and making me giggle. “My middle name is Christopher. I was born on Valentine’s Day. My parents are divorced and my mom passed away. My dad remarried, but she’s not my favorite lady-“

“Same,” I scoffed. “Keep going,”

Matt gave me a gentle smile and then continued. “I have a snake named Coca-Cola. I really like photography, movies, and writing. That’s about it,”

“I like snakes,” Matt gave me a light smile once more. “I think they’re cute, but I was never allowed one as a pet. What do you want to do after high school?”

“Photography,” Matt rolled his eyes, knowing it was obvious. “I want people to realize it’s an art and not something that anyone is capable of doing,”

“If you keep doing things like the things you showed me, you can make that happen very easily,” I smiled, reaching across the table to pat the top of his hand. I took my hand back, taking the last few sips of my coffee. “This was honestly delicious,”

“If maybe you’re free tomorrow, I could make you another?” Matt offered, sounding very anxious.

“I can’t. I have practice and a physics project to do,” I lied. “Let’s make a deal,”

“Which would be?” Matt tilted his head.

“You work all weekdays usually, right?” Matt nodded his head, yes. “As long as you work here, at this same time from now on, I’ll pop in for a coffee,”

“Everyday?” He questioned.

“Every single day,” I confirmed.

“Deal,” He held out his hand to shake. I shook it, smiling. Our hands connected while he spoke as if neither one of us wanted to let go. “I have to get back to work. I’ll see you tomorrow during free period,”

I smiled, getting up. We pulled our hands away slowly, both of us looking down and blushing. We laughed, trying to play it off. I looked up, biting my lip. “I’ll talk to you later,”

I walked out of the coffee shop, beaming, and practically skipping to my car.

**********

I got up the next morning with a smile on my face. I walked to my closet, deciding on a pair of black leggings that went down to my ankles and a white t-shirt with the album artwork from the record ’Your Favorite Weapon’ with the sleeves and sides cut off. I slipped a black bandeau on over my cheetah print bra with a matching thong before grabbing a pair of white socks. I walked to my chest, taking my pair of deep, cherry red Doc Martens and slipping them on. I laced them up, heading to my vanity. I decided to straighten my hair, surprising myself with how long it had gotten. I put on my usual face routine and added winged eyeliner and a deep reddish-purple lipstick. I smiled to myself, taking the lipstick to reapply throughout the day and putting it in the front of my bag. I took my phone, putting it in the right side of my bandeau, and walked out of my room, shutting the door behind me. I walked downstairs, seeing that just my dad was here at the moment. I went to the kitchen, seeing him throw away a finished apple and finishing up making his to-go cup of coffee. “Morning, dad,”

“Morning, Sam,” He smiled, clapping his hands together. “Your gym bag is packed and ready to go on the side table near the front door. Pam washed your leotard last night,”

I felt taken back, seeing as Pam refuses to do laundry. “Oh? Thanks,”

My dad grabbed his coffee and his briefcase, calling behind him. “Bye, Sam,”

I didn’t bother to answer, hearing the front door close nearly immediately. My phone rang and I took it out to answer it. “What’s up?”

“There in two minutes,” Stiles said, hanging up immediately.

I grabbed my bag and swung it over both my shoulders and put my cell phone back where I originally had it. I walked out of the kitchen and grabbed my bag, walking out the front door just as Stiles was pulling up the driveway. I walked to the Jeep, getting in the backseat.

**********

The day had been made lovely once I saw Matt. We talked about a lot of things and came to realize we have way more things in common than I originally thought. Things with him seem a bit different and it’s nice. He’s a good guy and I know he cares about me, but there was something inside me telling me to just not even bother with the guy.

I was currently walking into the girl’s locker room late because I had to go back to Stiles’ car to get my bag. My coach called me to hurry up and I was left alone in the locker room. I went to my changing row, opening my bag. I put my bag on the light brown bench, unzipping it. As I reached in to grab my all-black leotard, my hand was cut by something. I retracted it immediately, yelping. I shook the bag out onto the floor, jumping back when I saw a collection of knives spew onto the floor. I stood in shock for a moment before immediately shoving the knives back into my bag to hide them. I looked down at my hand, seeing that it hadn’t immediately healed. I zipped my bag up, throwing it over my shoulder, and running out to the gym. I found Coach Finstock before I found mine. “Finstock! Tell Mandy I can’t come to practice. I need to go to the hospital and get this checked out,”

Finstock took one look at my hand before shouting. “Dear Christ, Sam! Go, get out of my face,”

I freaked out the minute I got out of the school, searching to see if Stiles and Scott had left yet. I spotted a flash of blue getting ready to leave the parking lot, causing me to break out into a sprint towards it. I screamed Scott’s name, hoping he would use his newfound hearing abilities. The Jeep made a complete stop, allowing me to catch up to them and jump in the back seat. Scott and Stiles turned around looking terrified. “Stiles! Stiles, drive,”

“What happened?” Scott screamed anxiously, turned around in his seat as Stiles began to speed.

“I don’t know! I don’t know where they came from,” I screamed frantically. “I pulled open my gym bag and there must have been twenty-something knives in there. I cut my hand, but it isn’t healing like it should be,”

I looked down at my wound, seeing that it had started to turn black and my veins were becoming visible. Scott gasped. “Stiles, drive faster,”

“I’m trying,” Stiles screamed, turning a sharp left to go through the woods.

I ran out of the car the minute I could see Derek’s house in sight. Stiles pulled the car up to the house by the time I had swung the front door open to the house. “Derek! Derek! Where are-“

“I’m here,” Derek picked me up bridal style, rushing me towards the batten-down dining room. He placed me on a dark wooden table, throwing off everything that had previously been on the table’s surface. Derek ran to a cabinet in his charred kitchen, grabbing a small bottle. He dipped out a few pieces of ashes from the bottle, sprinkling them onto my hand. He shoved the rest of the bottle towards Stiles who had just joined us right after Scott. Derek began to rub the powder into my cut, causing a rush of pain to shoot up my arm and through my entire body. I let out a mixture of growls and screams, unable to tolerate the pain much longer. Derek stuffed rubbing and the pain immediately stopped, causing my body to release all of the tension pent up into my muscles. I looked up at Derek, seeing him petrified. “What the hell did you get cut with?”

“A knife-“

“Where did you get that knife?” He demanded an answer, helping me to sit up.

My body fell into his side, unable to steady myself. Derek sat on the table, throwing an arm from underneath my left side and onto my back, steadying me. The heat of his body helped to ease the tension of my muscles as I tried to steady my breathing. “It was in my gym bag that Pam packed,”

“Pam?” Stiles’ eyes bulged out of his head.

“You’re staying over my place with Stiles tonight,” Scott shook his head angerly. “My mom will be at work all night and we’ll just all go to school and the party tomorrow,”

“You’re going?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Alli invited all of us,” Stiles stated, hinting towards Allison.

I shook my head, taking the hint. “Take him out back and train him. I’ll stay in here with Stiles,”

“I have a couch, you know,” Derek huffed, pointing to his family room. “Go in there and lie down for a while,”

I got up, wobbling. Stiles lunged forward, catching me. He put his arm around my waist, leading me into the family room. He set me down gently on the dark maroon leather couch, grabbing a remote from a glass coffee table. He sat next to me, turning on the flat screen that was mounted onto the wall. “I’m flabbergasted this place has cable,”

I laughed, leaning my head back. I propped my legs onto the couch, having my back towards Stiles on my left side, and making myself comfortable.