Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 28 - Too Close

Gerard’s heartbeat sped up and he found himself shit scared. The police officer looked him up and down before deciding to break the silence.

”Gerard Way, I presume?” his voice was rough and Gerard immediately found himself taking a dislike to the guy.

After nodding slowly, he shot a questioning look at the intruder.

”Gerard, I’m going to be honest with you. Can I receive the same treatment back?”

”I suppose…what’s going on?” Gerard finally spoke up.

”Well, your parents rang the station a few days ago and reported you as a missing child. I’m here to take you home.”

”What no! I’m staying with Frankie!” cried Gerard

”I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.”

”You can’t make me go! I hate them!”

”That may be the case but your on the register as missing, I have to return you, It’s my job!” argued the officer

”Please…just let me stay with him until he wakes up?”

”Look Sir, if you don’t come willfully I have power to use appropriate force!”

”I’d like to see you separate us!” screamed Gerard as he made a move to return to Frank’s bedside. The police officer stopped him with difficulty and Gerard began to struggle.

”No! PLEASE, someone! Stop him!” Gerard felt the tears come to him eyes as he yelled and cursed.

The sound of shoes, rapidly slapping the shiny corridor floor was heard and the same nurse from earlier came rushing in.

”What is going on here?” She demanded and Gerard stopped struggling.

”Please Miss, I have to stay with Frankie!” Gerard full out sobbed and it must have worked on the young woman as she moved her gaze to the officer restraining the boy.

”Please release him, I fear you’ve already caused enough disruption on this ward for one night.”

”I’m afraid I cannot do that, it’s my orders to take him home.”

”Oh for goodness sakes look at him! He’s just a child, leave him be!”

”Miss, I really think that I….”

”If you don’t let that child go immediately I will complain to your superior!” The nurse screamed and the shocked officer let his death grip on Gerard go.

Rubbing his aching arms Gerard scowled at the man in front of him and the nurse put her hand on Gerard’s shoulder.

”Officer, let him stay with his friend. You can call his family and inform them where he is; if they want him back they can get him. I wont stop them, I assure you.

The officer looked unhappy about the compromise but the nurse’s fear voice and determined eyes told him not to argue.

He nodded grimly and walked off down the ward, pulling out a cell phone while ignoring the faces poking out of their rooms, staring at the scene.

The nurse sighed softly and turned to face Gerard who had left to return to Frank’s bed.

”Will he be okay?” Whispered Gerard so quietly that she wasn’t sure she heard it correctly.

Walking over to him and looking straight into the young boys tortured eyes, she spoke with a caring, yet strong voice.

”Yes. The treatment is going well and he should wake up late tonight or early tomorrow morning.”

Gerard’s face broke out into a grin and he felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off his tired shoulders.

Looking between the two boys, the nurse felt her heart lighten. She could see the love between them, and felt herself smile.

Maybe love isn’t dead in the world.