My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 19

I wasn't focused on the complete silence in the room or the fact that I could feel my temperature rising, all I could think about was the way Pete's lips felt cold and urgent against my own. His hand was on the back if my neck sending a cold chill throughout my entire body followed by a pleasant warmth whilst his other hand was on my lower back, trying to bring our bodies closer together (although that seemed impossible at this point).

My finger's ran through his hair as I felt him try to deepen the kiss but then I realised, hey, why is Pete kissing back? Not that I'm complaining but I sort of thought this would be a one sided thing… And just before my thoughts could wander any further, Pete's lips disconnected from my own and his hands disappeared from my body only to reappear on my forehead checking my temperature. My heart was still racing and my eyes were still closed and all I could think was, Why did he stop?

"Riley, you're burning up" Pete spoke nervously, his lips still close to my own. I opened my eyes and looked at him confused, my breathing rapid and uneven. Immediately I became aware of the intense burning feeling all over my body and my vision became spotted. My head pounded and I had to close my eyes again for a minute. The pain didn't subside and I began to sweat.

"Pete," I croaked, not even recognising my own voice. This was it; I could feel it, spreading through my body. I wanted to close my eyes and make the pain go away but I couldn't. Pete was there; talking to me, holding me close, trying to cool me down but my consciousness was fading.

"Riley, Riley! Don't close your eyes, stay with me" But I couldn't. Brendon was going to win.

***********

I only remembered snippets of the next few hours. There was ice, needles, blankets, yelling and finally, waking up to see Andy sitting and staring at me, dangerously close to my face.

"Whoa, what are you doing?" I asked him, pulling the blankets closer around me.

Instead of answering me, Andy just sat back and called out the door, "Patrick, she's awake!"

I flinched at the loudness of his voice before glancing around. I was in my bed of course and Andy was sitting in the chair that had been placed beside my bed from when I had first got the fever. It was dark as usual but there was a single light on beside my bed. Also beside my bed was an unfamiliar table set up with packaging and rubbish scattered all over it.

I leant up to try and see what the packaging was for but before I could there were hurried footsteps and the door swung open revealing Patrick and Joe. They looked relieved when they saw me but Patrick immediately came over to check my temperature.

"When did you guys get back?" I asked, somewhat difficulty with a thermometer in my mouth.

"Yesterday" Joe replied from the end of the room.

"And I'm guessing you got the medicine?" I questioned, gesturing to the contents on the table. Patrick looked over before nodding and taking the thermometer out of my mouth, checking it and putting it back in, making it hard for me to talk again. "Did it work?"

"We're just waiting on some results but yeah, we think so" Patrick smiled.

"How do you feel?" Joe asked, trying to sound casual but I could tell he was slightly anxious.

And only when he asked did I really notice that I felt noticeably better. My body wasn't aching, I wasn't sweating and I didn't feel dizzy. Apart from a slight chill, I felt good.

"Much better" I smiled thankfully at all three boys.

Patrick went to take the thermometer from my mouth and looked at it closely. A huge grin spread across his face.

"I think you're ok"

"Finally" I sighed, relaxing more into the bed. "Thanks so much guys"

"You're welcome" Patrick grinned again as he began to clean up the packaging on the table. Andy and Joe got up and left, leaving me with Patrick and I found my curiosity getting the better of me.

"Hey so, where's Pete?" I asked as casually as possible.

Patrick didn't even notice the oddness of my question and continued cleaning.

"I don't know, training I think. He was pretty freaked out when we got home, said you'd over heated and passed out but he carried you in here, got some ice…you're lucky he was there until we gave you the medicine."

I fought the blush that was rising to my cheeks in time to smile at Patrick as he left.

"It's good to have you back Riley. Just come out when you're ready" he told me before shutting the door behind him.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes and stretching my limbs. This was the first time in a while that I had been alone and it was awfully quiet. Pulling back the blankets I noticed that I was wearing different clothes to the ones I had on when I passed out. Pete must have changed them, so now I can probably never look him in the eye again….not that I could do that before. Realising that now I didn't have to change, I cautiously placed my feet on the ground and stood up, prepared for any dizziness that may ensue. Luckily there was none and I was able to walk out of my room.

When I stepped through to the kitchen, Patrick, Joe and Andy were all bustling around.

"What are you guys doing?"

All three stopped to look at me briefly before continuing with their various tasks.

"We're making breakfast" Joe smiled proudly.

"Yeah we thought since you weren't hungry when you were sick, you'd be able to eat now and regain your strength" Andy added whilst mixing something.

"Actually can you go grab Pete?"

As soon as Patrick asked I felt my heart begin to race. I hadn't seen or talked to Pete since we kissed and I was not looking forward to having that conversation…

"Uhh, sure"

I slowly made my way to the training room, thinking about what I was going to say to Pete. I mean, it was just a kiss right? I was sick, out of my mind, I didn't know what I was doing. We were supposed to hate each other, he'd understand.

When I opened the door, Pete was punching the hell out of a punching bag and I almost felt bad for interrupting him. Then I remembered that, no I didn't, it was Pete.

"Patrick says the food's ready" I said loud enough for him to hear. He turned and looked at me, almost analysing me. He walked over and stood right in front of me. I expected him to say something and began to think about how this conversation was going to go. We would have to talk about the kiss and-

"Ok" he said simply, breezing past me and out the door.

I stood there, astonished. Was he just going to act like nothing had happened?

***********

Later on, we were all finishing the amazing breakfast that Patrick, Joe and Andy had made. It was the first time in months, if ever that all five of us had sat down and had a meal together.

"We make a mean breakfast" Joe said proudly sitting back in his seat and patting his stomach.

"Yeah thank you guys so much" I added.

"No problem Riley, as long as you're feeling better" Patrick smiled at me.

My vision subtly moved to Pete who was looking down at his plate. I sighed and looked down at mine until Andy spoke up.

"So Riley, what even happened yesterday? We came back and Pete was stressed out of his mind saying you'd passed out. I thought he was keeping you cool…"

As soon as Andy began to ask the question I had frozen up. What was I supposed to say? Oh yeah, the reason I passed out was because me and Pete made out and I got all hot and bothered. Yep, that'd work. Instead I snuck a look at Pete who still looked like he was trying to explode the plate with his mind. So I shakily made up some random excuse.

"Oh, uhh, it wasn't Pete's fault. I think I just was getting too anxious and stressed and my body reacted to it"

For a second I thought maybe he hadn't bought it but then Andy just nodded and continued eating. I let myself relax a little but this time I felt eyes on me and when I looked up, Pete was staring at me, like he did when he was trying to read my mind. So what did I do? I thought about flipping him off.

His expression immediately changed to one of anger and he looked away. I chuckled to myself.

"Well I'm just glad I don't have to be attached to her anymore. There's only so much you can take of one person…" Pete piped in for the first time, speaking venomously.

Patrick almost choked.He wasn't the only one.

"But I thought you two were getting along…" Joe commented.

"Hey I was only doing it because you three idiots actually cared if she died or not"

Everyone went silent and it got incredibly awkward. All I could think about was how much I hated that jerk. Vampires are all the same. Pete should just die. I couldn't even stand to look at him anymore. Why had I wanted to kiss him in the first place?

"Well thanks for breakfast guys, I'm going to bed" I said politely, excusing myself and leaving the table, making sure to kick Pete in the leg as I passed. The only thing I could thank him for was reminding me why I do my job.

When I got back to my room I couldn't wait to go to sleep. I was so used to the routine now that now I could enjoy getting under the covers and closing my eyes, something I wasn't able to do before. Now I could just relax and enjoy to my first night sleeping alone.

***********

"Rileyyyy…" Brendon's sultry voice sounded in my ear. I couldn't open my eyes and when I went to reach out in front of my body I couldn't. All I could feel was something rough around my wrists and all the blood rushing from my arms. That's when I realised they were tied above my head.

My legs dangled helplessly below me and there was something wet running down my cheek. Blood. Panic began to rush through my veins when I realised the position I was in and I struggled to get free but it just hurt more.

Before I could cry out, I heard Brendon speak again.

"Now this will be fun…" he chuckled darkly before I felt a blade pierce my flesh.


*************

My eyes sprung open and I tried to steady my breathing.
Fuck.
Why are my nightmares back? Please don't mean what I think this means….
♠ ♠ ♠
I made a new layout, yay! Krisha originally made me one but it didn't save so I thought I'de have a go.

I hope this was ok, I've just spent the last couple of days watching 1 and a half seasons of How I Met Your Mother coz it's like, one of my favourite shows now so I hope that didn't really influence how I wrote, I found myself almost writing about Ted and Robin haha

Anway, it's a bit of a filler but now it gets better I swear. Hopefully I'll have another chapter out before I go back to school next week *shudder* coz I have a busy week involving seeing one of my favourite bands ever! (Arctic Monkeys)
So some comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

xx