Mason Jars.

2.

I admit, when I said I had pearly blue eyes I lied. They're more pale-ish than pearly blue, which I guess isn't much of a difference. It looks weird to me because I have dark brown hair and no freckles like Lily. My mom and dad both have brown eyes so I honestly have no idea what happened there. Half the time I swear I'm adopted, but then I look at my face and the birth mark on my stomach I share with my dad. I look so much like him that it's comical and is often joked that I’m a miniature him. I guess I get part of my looks from my mom as well because she has curly brownish red hair and I have the same type, just no red in there.

“Mason, what’s giggin’?” I hear Lily ask after I snap out of my snowball train of thought.

“Well, this is goin’a gross ya out probably, but giggin’ is where we take this cool spear with like three prongs or whatever they’re called on the end and try to spear bull frogs. Often times the frogs are used as bait for fishin’ and crap, but this ain’t for that. It’s just to stab frogs, really. Now that I look at it, it’s kinda cruel…” I reply as I think about what Willy and I do. Cassandra was always grossed out so I assumed all girls were.

“That sounds actually really cool,” was Lily’s response. This shocks me so much that I stop in my tracks.

“You think stabbin’ poor bull frogs sounds cool?” I ask, looking at the blonde-haired girl. She nods, and I rub my face.

“You seemed shock. I would go hunting with my granddad in New York before he died. I never told you?” Lily questions, fixing her hair.

“No you never frickin’ told me. Man, that’s so awesome. I love huntin’ a lot. My dad takes me and Willy for a week long campin’ trip to go fishin’ in the bayou. It relaxes me to be honest. One time Willy tripped over a gator and almost pissed himself he was so scared. Man, since you’ve been huntin’ have you been fishin’?” I inquire, continuing on. I want to know so much more about Lily even though I’ve been talking to her all school year. Though, I say she’s my best friend but I honestly have never hung out with her outside of school, so I guess that means I want her to be my best friend.

“Yeah, of course silly. I love fishing too,” is her reply. My heart starts fluttering, and I get the dumbest grin on my face.

“You should come on that trip with my dad and Willy and me. It’ll be weird though ‘cause your name and Willy’s name sound similar. Lily, Willy, and Mason--- A summer adventure… Sounds like a movie or book or somethin’,” I say with a chuckle. She giggles a cute little giggle and shrugs.

“Why not? I can ask my parents about it, I’m sure they’ll be okay with it,” she retorts.

“Wha-what? You think your parents would be alright with that?” I ask, shaking my head. This is perfect. “Well, I guess I can just think up a plan and ask my dad, but I’m sure he’ll be fine with it,” I smirk. Lily stops and points to a very nice looking house, one of the biggest in Lafitte, and lets out a soft sigh.

“This is me. Well, thank you for walking me home, Mason Jars,” she giggles as she hugs me one last time. I don’t let go right away and take in her smells. She smells like vanilla, and it smells great.

“No problem, miss. It was my pleasure. Do me a favor, call me or text me later? I’m goin’a be thinkin’ ‘bout an idea for this summer’s fishin’ trip,” I explain. The girl nods and walks up the steps. I wait until she disappears into her home and let out a relieved sigh. I think that this girl is going to be a very good friend for this summer. “Lily Kershank… Man,” I murmur as I head down the road that goes through town. I have a feeling I am going to make myself look a fool in front of this girl, but I honestly don’t care. She’s someone to make myself a fool in front of.