Alive

6

Avery

“I love you, Avery, you know that right?” My extremely drunk sister slurred for the tenth time that night, hanging off of me. She was an affectionate drunk, and I laughed, patting her cheek.

“Yeah, hon, I know that.” I replied, rolling my eyes. “Have you told Louis lately?” She laughed and ran over to Louis, and I took a second to breathe, surveying our crowd of friends in the club.

Louis and Alice were now dancing on the dance floor, along with Niall and Harry. Zayn was at the bar, ordering another drink, and Liam was nowhere to be found. He disappeared as soon as the night began, and I was frustrated, because he hadn’t been talking to me for a week. I wasn’t sure what I had done, but I knew he was mad. I sighed as Zayn came back to the table, sitting across from me.

“You alright, Aves?” He asked quietly.

I ran a hand through my hair.

“Can I ask you a question, Z?” I asked.

“Of course you can.” He replied.

“Is Liam mad at me?” I rushed out, biting my lip. “Because he he’s barely spoken a word to me in days and I don’t know what I did wrong, honestly.”

Zayn sighed, looking at me for a minute before speaking.

“Avery, I think-“ He started, but he was cut off as Harry came over to the table.

“Come dance!” He slurred at me, grabbing my hand. “You’re not being any fun!”

“Harry, can you wait a minute?” I asked, eager to hear what Zayn had to say.

“No.” Harry pouted, stubborn. “Your sister and Louis disappeared and Niall and Liam are dancing with girls.” He hiccupped, and I looked over at the dancefloor to see both Niall and Liam dancing with girls. Something inside me burned with embarrassment. Here I was worried about Liam being mad at me, and he was over there, not thinking about me at all. Angrily, I squeezed Harry’s hand.

“Let’s go dance, Haz.” Harry grinned and pulled me up, but Zayn grabbed my arm.

“Avery, really, I need to tell you something.”

“Zayn, it can wait.” I replied sternly. I didn’t want to talk about Liam. If he wasn’t thinking about me, then I wouldn’t think about him. And Harry was a nice distraction. I took advantage of the fact that Harry was a handsy drunk, and danced with him on the floor, forgetting all my worries about Liam. That is until I saw him stalk from the floor and over to Zayn, saying something to him before they both left the club. I shrugged and danced with Harry for a while longer until I had to use the bathroom. As I was washing my hands, my phone rang, Zayn’s name flashing across the screen. Confused, I answered it.

“What’s up, Z?”

“Listen, Aves, you need to get back to the hotel.” Zayn said softly on the other end of the line.

“What? Why?” I asked.

“Liam’s in rough shape.”

I sighed, and closed my eyes for a minute.

“Okay, I’ll be there soon.”

I hung up the phone and went back to find my friends, pulling Niall aside since he was the most sober.

“Niall, I’m going back to the hotel, you can make sure you get a taxi and get everyone home safe, right?”

“Sure thing, love. Is everything okay?” He asked.

“I’m about to find out.”