Spell Of Darkness

Chapter Two

Adelaide loved the freedom that forgetfulness gave her. She ran around the castle not noticed by anyone. Gradually the years passed and she grew into a beautiful young woman. Adelaide looked almost exactly like her mother with dark brown hair and green eyes. The only difference was that Adelaide was taller than her mother had been. Around this time the King came out of his stupor and fell in love. The woman that he fell in love with was 20 years younger than he was and she was very beautiful. Her name was Estelle. Estelle had black hair and piercing blue eyes. She didn’t like the idea that the King had a beautiful daughter who was roughly the same age as she was. Estelle didn’t care if the King barely remembered her or not. “What if I have a baby?” she thought to herself, “It will be pointless because she is still the heir to the throne!”

King Baird listened to everything that Estelle said and he agreed with her. Adelaide had to leave. She reminded him too much of his late wife and he had Estelle now. Adelaide was thrown out of the castle, and she was left to survive on her own. She was scared and lonely yet she knew how to survive because of her wild youth. Adelaide wandered into the forest and quickly became lost. “No matter,” she thought, “I’ll just build my cottage here.” She set about building a small house in which to live. The cottage was very quaint and pretty. Adelaide planted red roses by the front door and she placed blue curtains on the windows. She wandered about her property talking to herself or the woodland animals “I wonder if Estelle put a spell on my father. She seems too beautiful and cold at the same time.”