One Step Closer

Part 6

It took a really long time before they have gotten to Canada. It was too hard for Pierre to drive almost 45 hours in a row so he had to get a break a few times. Of course, he was in the middle of nothing with two little kids who needed something to do – he has had nothing with himself, just a few diapers and some money to be able to buy anything for the kids – nothing more.

And to be honest, it was even harder when little Soren begin crying – he just didn’t know what to do to make her feel better. Luckily, they just have gotten to Pierre’s parents’ house. It was a real surprise for his mother and father either.

“You look terrible, Pierre.” Louise, his mother, said. “To look after two little kids in the middle of nothing is not always easy.” Pierre didn’t want to sound cruel but the exhaustion was much stronger.
“You’re badly in need to rest, dear. Catch some Z’s.” Réal, Pierre’s great father, said. Then he took his granddaughters and went to the living room to play with them both. So did his wife. Then Pierre took his mother by her arm and said: “Thank you for helping me, mommy. I appreciate it.” He said and tried to smile but the outcome was as follows – a weak one. “That’s what we are here for. To help you out.” She said and kissed his right cheek before he got up to his ‘old-child-room’ to have some sleep.

It was yesterday when Pierre has come to the house of his parents. To be honest, it’s much nicer for the little girls to be with grandparents from their father’s side – the whole family is just so cool and nice – just, the right ‘place’ to grow up in.

It’s 2:09 p.m. and Pierre is lying in the bed in the room where he grew up. He’s thinking about the situation he is in. It all was so beyond his thinking, too much for him to handle. It wasn’t the first time when his ‘wife’ came home more than just tipsy. Well, it’s not her ‘usual’ state but… the worst of her is that she feels no love towards the kids. She just has ‘made’ them and that’s it. Maybe there was another reason to ‘make’ them, who knows. Well now… Soren’s not Pierre’s so, why has she done it? Who was the one?

Pierre just decided to go to see David. It was some time of not seeing him. It’s true they have agreed on meeting up in Vegas but Pierre just CAN’T handle it. He needs to see him.

“Lenny, wait here, okay? I’ll come in a minute.” Pierre turned around in the car to see his daughter on the backseat. “This is David’s house, yeah?” She asked and looked into her father’s eyes for a moment. Pierre just smiled. “Yes, it is. I’ll ask him if we could come to visit him, agreed?” Pierre got just a slight nod.

The doorbell wasn’t any different – David didn’t feel anything. He thought it was just a postman or someone at the door. But the truth was different. Pierre – he was there.

As David opened the door, he was kinda taken aback. He didn’t expect Pierre to be there. While David was looking at him for a long time, Pierre’s eyes filled with tears. “Pierre,” David’s nice voice sounded. All Pierre wanted to do that time was to hug his love. He did.

“What are you doing here, Pierre?” David asked carefully, stroking Pierre’s hair. “I miss you… I miss you all the fucking time.” He said and buried his face into David’s little shoulder. He just kept stroking the back of Pierre’s head. Their eyes were closed all time long.

They pulled away and their eyes met again. “Don’t you wanna come in?” David asked quietly. Pierre just looked back into the car where Lennon was waiting. David understood it and said: “Yes, you may take Lenny. Come on,” he smiled before he got a sweet peck on lips from his loved one.

Then Pierre just took his Lennon and went in David’s house. It was too long since he was here for the last time, about a year, maybe. Of course, another plenty of memories has come back.

“Come on, honey. I have some candies for you,” David said foolishly and waited for his beloved Lennon to come. So she did. She ran from around the corner really quickly. But the very first thing she did was hugging him. Okay, it was just wrapping her little arms around David’s leg. He pulled her up into an embrace.

“I missed you, uncle.” She said sadly. “So did I, sweetie.” Pierre was just looking at them from afar. It was a great view. He was leaning on a doorframe, watching it.

“I missed playing at doctors with you.” The little girl pouted before pecking David’s lips. He smiled heartily. “Oh, you little doctor star, I have a huuuge headache. I need your help!” David said seriously and let Lennon to stand on her feet.

“Then I’ll check you out.” She said and urged him to kneel down while Pierre was standing aside, looking at them and smiling. She pressed her palm against David’s forehead. Then she made a ‘thinking’ face before telling: “Open your mouth. I will check your throat.” She said and David did.
She just made a check-up like the best lady doctor ever. “Here you are. This is gonna help you.” She gave him a sweet candy before she added: “The best miracle cure is daddy’s kiss.” She said. It made them both, David and Pierre, puzzled. They didn’t say a single word, they didn’t move at all. They just double-took.

Lennon looked at them both before telling: “Did I cure you out of it?” She turned at confused David who was holding the little candy in his hand. “Yeah. I’m totally out of it. You’re the best lady doctor ever.” He said, stroked her head and stood up from the kneeling.

He took a quick look at Pierre in the doorway. “Okay, sweetheart. We’ll have a word, Lenny, yes? Go to the living room to play with the dolls uncle David has there in the big box, okay? You know where to find it. It’s just around the corner.” He said and stroked her head as David did a minute ago.
Lennon is a good girl – she went out of the kitchen they stayed in. David, being leaned on the counter, was looking at Pierre still. He approached to him. “The girl is….” “Crazy.” David told the rest. “Yes.” Pierre agreed. “She can’t say this. It would get to the point of her calling you ‘daddy’.” Pierre said seriously. David knew it but both of them knew deep inside that it would be really beautiful if they let her call him like that.

“Anyways, what has happened that you came?” David asked in quietness something else. Pierre breathed out heavily before he took David by his little and nice hand. “We were in arguments, you know? I didn’t wanna let my girls be there with her anymore so I took them both and went to my parents.” He said and looked into David’s eyes.

“Well, so…. Soren’s here, too?” Pierre nodded. “She doesn’t feel anything towards the little girls.” Pierre said the fact he thought was true. “Then I know why…” David looked away and sighed. Pierre spurred David on to talk on. “She has been planning it for a long time, Pierre. It was just a fucking plan, do you understand it? She didn’t want to look after them or bring them up. She just wanted to do anything to keep you!” David whisper-shouted.

He sighed a little and managed to walk away but his right hand was help by Pierre still. He turned back at him to face his face. “Promise we won’t scream this time, please. I just need you, Davie.” Pierre said silently and pulled him closer. David was upset about it – he just wanted to work it out this time for good.

But he made concessions. “I love you…” David admitted again, stealing Pierre’s kiss. But he didn’t manage to repay his love. It’s true he felt something really deep inside… but he didn’t find the courage to say it.