Status: Blame Noelle.

Broken Lungs

extricate

It almost felt wrong to ask Isaac so many personal questions while he was spellbound, and therefore obligated to answer them truthfully. By the late afternoon, she had heard his entire life story. She grew teary-eyed when he spoke about the abuse his father bestowed on him, locking him in a freezer and throwing things at him. It physically pained her to hear it and while he told her the stories he laid in the middle of her bed with his head in her lap, picking at the comforter. He looked so young then, so hopeless, that her feelings only grew as she ran her fingers through his soft hair. It also made her understand why he didn’t particularly like being alone, having been forced into a freezer on numerous occasions with no one around to hear his screams. She planted a kiss on his forehead as he finished talking about that time in his life.

When he talked about his change to a werewolf, they sat facing one another with his hands moving around in the air for emphasis and often she found herself mesmerized by them. He had beautiful hands that moved elegantly through the air. It was thrilling and terrifying to hear his struggle to maintain control during full moons – which thankfully he had gotten past by now – and to learn about werewolves. She didn’t know much about them but she was riveted by his stories of action while he fought demons, other wolves, and different monsters. It scared her most thinking about how he had nearly died, countless times no less, which meant she never would have laid eyes on him. That would have been positively tragic for her.

Lastly, he spoke of a girl named Allison Argent. All along, Finn knew there was a girl. He would not have entered the club unless he had suffered some kind of heartbreak. It wasn’t what she had assumed it would be, though. He was so young to lose someone in such a violent way and it was horribly depressing as he regaled the story about how he had come to fall for her, only to barely have her before she was killed right in front of him and in the arms of her first love, his alpha. By now they had been laying side by side, horizontally, on her big bed and when she heard him choke on his words a little she reached for his hand to lace their fingers together. She didn’t like hearing about the lovely hunter on one hand, but on the other she wanted to know everything about Isaac.

It was a fine line.

“It’s getting late – I have to get ready for work.” They had laid in silence once he finished his storytelling though she could sense he wanted her to start with her own history but there was no time for that now. She, unfortunately, had to go to the club since she had taken the previous night off after accidentally brainwashing the gorgeous boy in her bed. It was nearly impossible to extricate herself from the situation and move to the bathroom to start getting ready, but it had to be done. Despite the gentle yet strong hold on her hand that he had which was comforting on a level she couldn’t quite fathom.

After her quick shower she wrapped a towel around her and stopped in her tracks when she saw him sitting up on the counter between the double sink, watching her. “I want to know about you – about faeries.”

“I know. I will tell you, I promise. But not right now, so go back in the room so I can get ready.”

He hopped off the counter and sauntered towards her, backing her into the wall as she clutched the towel tighter around her body. “I want to watch.”

Her heart pounded in her chest from his words and the intense look in his eye as he had her pinned with no place to go, arms on either side of her head but not actually touching her. It was a war between her mind and her body over whether or not she wanted him to give in and touch her. It would be so easy for him, if he really wanted it. Out of the two of them, he was much stronger and more powerful. She had the spark in her fingers and some magic up her sleeve but other than that he had her and he knew it. There needed to be separation, though. She needed to keep him at arm’s length until the spell waned and then maybe she could give in. Though, the chance of him wanting anything to do with her when that happened was slim to none.

Which broke her heart.

“No, Isaac.”

He leaned down just enough to smell her hair and made the sound of a throaty whimper before pushing away from her and walking out, shutting the door politely behind him. She sagged in relief, taking more than a few deep breaths, before she finished getting ready. When she was decent, she emerged from the bathroom to see Isaac laying across her bed with his hands behind his head, soft harp music playing in the background. He looked handsome as ever even if he was only in a plain navy tee shirt and dark jeans. She’d have to remember to get him more clothes – she had absolutely no idea when the spell would break and a small part of her was afraid it might never actually wane. She hadn’t heard of it before.

“You’re going to stay here while I’m gone, all right?”

“Why can’t I come with you?”

“You just can’t. Behave – no bad wolf. Only good wolf. Understand?”

“Good wolf.” He grinned at her then looked back up at the ceiling. “If I’m a good wolf, will I get to kiss you when you come home?”

She flushed, stopping in the middle of tugging on her shoe and gaped at him. “Um … sure. Okay.”

“Then I promise to behave.”

He would be the death of her if this didn’t wane. And soon.

“You’ve been cooped up in your room all day.” Alva teased, the second Finn emerged to see the other four all ready to go and sitting around the fountain in the common room. “Having fun with your new toy?”

“Stop it, Alva. Leave Finn alone.” Inga warned, standing. “We have to go, if he is staying up here then he better not do anything -”

“He won’t. He promised.”

Inga didn’t look too sure but she let it go, leading the others out of the apartment. With one last look down her hallway, Finn followed out last. She worried about a few things, leaving Isaac alone in the apartment. Not that he would break anything – she would replace it despite Inga’s idle threats. More about him vanishing and she wouldn’t know how to find him again. She didn’t want him to leave, not really. She just wanted him to be there because he wanted to be.

“You were so impressive last night, mon petit.” Finn was greeted immediately upon entering the back of the club by Mademoiselle Pinchot, the owner. No one really knew how old she was, or what she was, but it was suspected that she was a dryad, a tree nymph, from the foothills of the French Alps near Maurienne. It was never proven, but that was the best guess of the girls that worked there. She looked earthly, with vibrant hair the color of the sky at sunset and the most vivid green eyes Finn had ever seen in her entire life. They nearly glowed whenever Mademoiselle grew angry.

“Thank you.”

“Let’s hope you continue in this way, oui?”

“Oui.” As soon as she left the dressing room, Finn turned to Inga. “I don’t want to trap anyone else, Inga.”

“We need to stay here. Without the protection of a tribe, this is all that we have. We are safe surrounded by this many supernaturals. Alone … alone we could die.”

“How do you do this? How do you not care about them?”

“I do not think of it like that. These men are all heartbroken – they are bound by their sorrow and we give them release from that. We make life more tolerable for them – wash away their pain and give them pleasure instead. When you think of it as saving them, it becomes much easier.”

Do you care for them?”

“In my own way, yes.”

“I care for Isaac.”

“I know.” Inga walked over to the younger girl seated at her vanity and cupped her cheek. “You must either embrace this or set him free, young one. Does he not seem happy?” Without a real response, though knowing the answer, she smiled at her. “Then perhaps you should also be happy. Are you not curious?”

“I am always curious.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.
Totally forgot I had this chapter.
My bad!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think Finn should do!
Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin