Status: In Progress

Something Like Fate

Life As A New Yorker

Luciana's P.O.V.
Love. Such a simple word. Four letters and one syllable, but it holds so much meaning. People always say "hate" is such a strong word but love is too and people just throw that around like it's nothing too. 
"Luciana María Cortez Muñoz! I have been calling you for the past hour and a half! I called you fifteen times! What is the point in having a phone if you never pick it up?" I rolled my eyes as my best friend called me from Spain. Because of the difference in time zones between Sevilla, Spain and NYC we've had trouble finding times to call each other. 
"Alright, alright. Look Yessica, some people actually have jobs to go to. We can't all sit around posing for cameras all day. And by the way, nice job on the English. You almost sound fluent.", I joke. 
"Ay dios mio. There's that ego." she laughs. I laugh along, missing home and my very best friend. Ever since my parents divorce, I've only allowed a select group of people into my life. Yessica, Mariel, David, and Sergio were there through it all for me. Sergio. My heart clenches at the thought of his name. And then there's that word again. Love. I love that man. But of course, I can't be in love with him because he has a girlfriend and I have a boyfriend. How that happened...I'm not exactly sure. Anthony, my boyfriend, is a doctor in my apartment building. It started off as him constantly asking me for a chance even after I had told him about my feeling towards the subject of love. So I did, and we've been together for about a year now. 
"... And then you could come together. Luciana?Lucia? Are you listening to me?" 
"Yeah! Sorry, I was just thinking Yess. What were you saying?"
"That you need to bring the love of your life home so we can all meet him!"
"He's not the love of my life Yessica Eva Perlaza Ortiz. I don't love him. He's very nice, and treats me well but-"
"But he's not Sergio and that's why you can't ever love Mr. Perfect Plastic Surgeon Anthony Walsh. Look, you know Anthony loves you. He's told you many times and as much as I hate to say it, Sergio is happy with Lara, he loves her. And I know you've never told anyone outside of your family that you love them but Anthony is a good guy. Very successful, very handsome, he supports your dancing, and he's a good person all together. I think you should really think about your relationship with him. If you never take a chance you might end up alone and old and I don't want that. I know your head says falling in love isn't a good idea because you'll get hurt an your still waiting for Sergio to come running to you after you told him you loved him right before you left. But honey, he didn't say anything. I'm not stupid, I know you're only with Anthony to try and make Sergio jealous and you won't let yourself fall in love with him despite how amazing he is but sometimes you have to squeeze the brain a little to make way for the heart."
I let her words sink in and thought about my current situation. I left Sevilla when I was 16 on a full ride to Julliard. I was offered the full scholarship with free boarding after I turned 15, about 10 years ago. I wasn't originally going to take it because I was scared to move to a different continent where they primarily spoke a different language than my native tongue. But the night after the party for my quince changed my mind pretty fast. 
*FlashBack*
Narrator's P.O.V.
Luciana was dressed in a traditional light purple Quinceñera dress. She had managed to slip out of the 8 hour party her mother had planned. She was used to wearing pointe shoes, not the five inch heels her mother had dressed her in. Her father had came and she could see the look in her mother Sofía's eyes the minute he walked in. The look of love with an unmistakable amount of pain. At this point in her life, Sergio and Luciana had been completely in love for four years. He had even been her escort for tonight. But her happy mood had changed when Sergio was standing in front of her holding her hands saying how he being two years older and starting his career in soccer, their relationship could no longer work. And you could say that was the day she lost all faith in love. 
*End Of FlashBack*
"Yess.. So, when exactly is a good time to go bring Anthony back home..?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry if this wasn't good, but I'm trying to introduce the character and it will have Sergio in the next chapter.
Thanks for reading!
-Luciana :)