Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"What Kind Of Drugs Are You Two On?"

"Hey guys, you alright?" Sebastien asked as he sat down beside Chuck, Beth sitting down on his other side.

They all replied to him with a general 'yes' before his eyes turned to me.

"It's nice to see you again Rachel," He smiled.

I nodded, "You too," I spoke back, not smiling too much in case I looked too suspicious.

I looked over at Beth, "I guess that you're Beth then?" I smiled politely as I held out my hand.

She flashed her perfect white teeth at me and shook my hand, "Yup, that's me,"

"It's nice to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you," I released her hand.

"It's nice to meet you too, I'm sorry, I haven't heard about you, Pierre doesn't tend to talk about his girlfriend's much,"

My eyes widened, "Oh no! I'm not Pierre's girlfriend, I'm just... A friend," I chose my words carefully.

"Oh, sorry! I just assumed,"

"No problem, I'm just Rachel,"

She smiled sweetly at me before whispering something into Sebastien's ear, causing him to nod and she got up from the table.

Chuck offered to get everyone a round of drinks soon after Beth had left and then got up from the table.

David and Jeff announced that they needed the toilet so they left too leaving only me, Pierre and Sebastien.

"Are you alright?" Sebastien frowned at me with worry, "You look really uncomfortable,"

"I'm just feeling a bit out of place, I don't really know anyone," I smiled sheepishly.

"You know me," He said in some attempt to comfort me.

"Yeah, as great as that is, one person out of a big room full isn't exactly a reassuring ratio,"

He shrugged, "If it makes you feel any better, the only people I really know in this room are my family, which makes about eight people, two people from work, these four and you," He explained, "The rest are Beth's family and friends,"

"Yeah, but surely you know them,"

"Only her mum, dad, sister and best friend, that's it,"

"I only know these guys and Beth," Pierre added in.

"See, now that is a ratio I can relate to," I smiled at Pierre and he returned it.

"Loners stick together," He held his hand up and I hi-fived him, giggling a little.

Chuck came back over with the drinks and I thanked him before sipping at it.

"Oh, I got your note by the way," I said to Sebastien, crossing my arms over my chest.

He grinned at me, "Good,"

"You're an arse," I insulted playfully.

He laughed, "I thought you might think that but I think I can deal with it,"

"I tried to give it to Mia but she wouldn't take it,"

"Why were you trying to give it to Mia?"

"Because she took the blame for me and it came out of her wages, not mine,"

"Well, it is her money so she can give it to you if she wants to,"

"Whose side are you on?"

"The side that is making you keep it and apparently that's Mia so I'm on her side,"

"I hate you,"

"No you don't," He smirked.

"I know," I sighed, "But I dislike you a lot,"

"I can live with that,"

Soon, Jeff and David returned from their trip to the bathroom and they took their seats.

They began to chat among themselves and Sebastien continued talking to me.

"Beth's really nice," I began with a smile.

Sebastien nodded, "Yeah, she is, she's amazing,"

"What date is the wedding?"

"November 29th,"

"Oh, awesome, are you excited?"

"Yeah, very, I'm happy I found her,"

A smile grew on my face, "Aww, you're such a softie,"

He shrugged nonchalantly and put on an angelic smile.

"Anyways, how did you know about this party? Or did I tell you and I've forgotten?"

"Pierre told me about it, you don't mind do you? I can leave if you want me to,"

He frowned and shook his head, "Don't be silly, of course I don't mind, I'm glad you're here,"

"Well it was this morning, he saved my life and then invited me,"

"He saved your life?" His head tilted in confusion.

"It's a long story,"

"Who saved whose life?" Pierre entered into the conversation.

"You saved mine," I answered.

"I thought I heard my name,"

"How did you save her life?" Sebastien asked.

Pierre looked over at me, "We are talking about the pasta incident aren't we?"

I nodded, "Yeah,"

"Pasta?" Sebastien's eyebrow rose, "What kind of drugs are you two on?"

"Who's on drugs?" Jeff questioned with intrigue.

"These two," Sebastien pointed at us.

Pierre and I laughed.

"We're not on drugs," I chuckled before taking a sip of my drink.

"No we're not," Pierre agreed, "Unless you smoked the pasta?"

I began to laugh but still had the drink in my mouth; I had to clamp my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from spitting it out.

Pierre found this hilarious and this made me cough hysterically due to making my drink go down the wrong way, while laughing.

"What's so funny?" David asked.

We now had everyone's attention.

My eyes were watering from laughing so much.

It wasn't even that funny but it was kind of a chain reaction because Pierre laughing made me laugh and me laughing made Pierre laugh harder, then it started over again. It was a vicious circle of hilarity.

"Ouch," I complained, clutching at my stomach, "Stop laughing!" I giggled, "You're making me laugh and it hurts,"

He grinned at me.

"We're waiting for the story if you're finished?" Sebastien's eyebrows raised expectantly, a small smile stretched on his face.

I nudged Pierre, stifling my laughter and calming myself down.

"It's nothing interesting really, Rachel just fell off a shelf and I caught her," Pierre explained.

"What the hell were you doing on a shelf?" Chuck frowned.

"No, I wasn't like, climbing up on the top shelf or something, I was trying to get some pasta off the top shelf but I couldn't reach it, so I climbed on a little bottom thing and fell off, and Pierre caught me,"

"Right..." Sebastien spoke slowly.

"I told you it wasn't interesting," Pierre sighed as he took a large gulp of his drink.

"Ooh, yeah, I owe you a drink don't I?" I spoke up to Pierre as I saw his bottle.

"Oh don't worry about it," He said dismissively.

I shook my head, "Next round's mine, next person to finish their drink let me know,"

They all smiled and nodded at me.

"Do you not drink?" David asked, catching my eyes.

"Yeah, I do,"

"Why aren't you drinking?"

"I'm driving tonight,"

"Chuck will take you home, won't you Chuck?" David didn't really give him much of a choice.

Chuck looked at David then looked at me.

"You're the designated driver are you?" I stated with an airy laugh.

"Apparently so, yeah,"

"It's okay though, I'll just drive home,"

"Oh go on, have a drink," Pierre nudged me persuasively.

"I don't really want to have a hangover or anything... And I'm not exactly the best drunk in the world. I get really... Loud and giggly and energetic, well, so I'm told,"

"How about you have some but you don't have enough for you to get that drunk or get a hangover tomorrow?" David suggested.

"I don't want to risk it, I'm in work tomorrow,"

"What time are you in work?" Pierre asked.

"About... Nine ish?"

"Nine at night?" Sebastien jumped in.

"No, in the morning,"

"You liar," He sang playfully, "The bar doesn't open that early!"

I rolled my eyes innocently, "Okay, I don't have to be in until six pm but I still don't want to have to deal with a hangover,"

Sebastien's attention was caught by Beth's sweet voice calling him.

All of our heads turned towards her.

"Excuse me a second, Beth wants me," He said quickly before leaving the table.

Our conversation continued.

"Just have a drink, we won't let you get drunk, I promise, we'll count," David grinned.

"You're not gonna stop until I have something are you?"

"Nope," Pierre and David chorused.

I sighed, "Fine,"

David clapped and then gently hit his hand on the table before beaming innocently at me.

"You're round," He stated simply.

I laughed and shook my head, "Okay,"

They told me their drinks and got up from the table.

"I'll come with you," Pierre stated as he followed me to the bar.

I stood in the queue with Pierre by my side.

"So, are you feeling a bit more comfortable now?" He asked, making small talk.

"Yeah, thanks, the guys are really friendly so I'm not that scared anymore, I just don't like feeling like I'm intruding,"

"They're usually pretty open to new people, unless they're really bitchy and you're not so they're cool,"

I smiled, "Thanks,"

"You're welcome,"

"Have you been served?" A barwoman asked me.

"No, not yet,"

"What can I get you then?"

I reeled off the list to her and she went off to get them.

"You must have a really good memory, I can barely remember two drinks,"

"I work in a bar, it's my job to remember things like that,"

"True," He sighed as he looked around the bar, "Excuse me a sec Rachel, Seb wants me,"

I turned to see Sebastien looking over at us...

I didn't think that 'Seb' could be Sebastien.

The place was quite crowded so as Pierre slid past me, he gently rested his hands on my hips to keep me still as he moved.

Soon, a mixture of six bottles and glasses were placed in front of me and I paid the woman at the bar before grabbing them all in my hands and arms.

Sometimes working in a bar can have its advantages.

I carefully weaved my way around the crowd and stopped at our table before handing out the drinks and sitting back down.

"I guess you didn't need any help with the drinks then?" Pierre smiled as he sat down beside me.

"Nope," I grinned back, "Cheers," I winked playfully at him as I held up my bottle and took a large gulp.

_11pm_

"You're drunk," Pierre stated, pointing accusingly at me.

"I am not!" I held my hand to my chest in offence as I attempted to defend myself.

"You just giggled!"

"So what? I giggle sometimes,"

He shook his head, "I don't believe you,"

"You should," I huffed, trying not to smile. I was only slightly tipsy.

I'd only had three... Or seven, either way I still wasn't drunk.

"Touch your nose with your eyes closed," He ordered.

"I'll look like an idiot,"

"You are one,"

"Hey!"

"What? You said that you were before I did," He shrugged.

I sighed, "Ugh, fine, whatever,"

I closed my eyes and held my finger out in front of me before bringing it towards my face.

Just as my finger neared my face I felt Pierre elbow me and my finger jabbed my far right cheek.

"See you're drunk!" He accused.

I opened my eyes and glared at him, "You elbowed me!"

"I did not!"

"Liar!"

"Prove it," He spoke smugly, crossing his arms across his chest.

"You're an arse, there's your proof,"

"Psh," He snorted.

My eyes scanned the room and they landed on two people walking away from the pool table.

"Table's free!" I spoke excitedly, grabbing a hold of Pierre's wrist and jerking him up from his seat.

I slid to a halt and stood by the table just as David and Jeff appeared.

"We called it first!" David shot.

"We saw it first," I fought.

"Seeing means nothing if you don't call it," He grinned at me.

"Doubles?" I suggested with an angelic smile on my face.

David and Jeff glanced at each other.

"Okay," They agreed.

"Are you any good at this?" I took a step back so I was standing by Pierre.

"I get by," He shrugged, "What about you?"

"Well, sometimes I suck really bad and sometimes I kick arse, but it's kind of a lucky dip, you never know what you're gonna get with me,"

"So basically we're either gonna do amazing and kick their arses or they're gonna wipe the floor with us?"

I looked at him, beaming, showing him my wisdom teeth (which I don't have...).

"You're a genius," I replied.

He let out an airy laugh through his nose and picked up a cue.

"You wanna go first?" He offered the cue to me and I shook my head.

"Nah, I'll let you. If I'm having a crappy playing day then a bad break won't help,"

"True," He agreed.

I watched Pierre approach the table as Jeff finished setting up and pulled the triangle off.

My eyes kept locked on Pierre as he took his shot, scattering the balls across the felt.

He smiled contently and handed me the cue.

"Cheers. Nice break," I complimented.

"Thanks," He smiled, folding his arms as he watched David take his shot.

For some reason, pool was always something I enjoyed. It just made me smile but I couldn't figure out why.

David potted three balls before missing his forth leaving the table free for me to take a shot.

Pierre nudged me forward and I headed over to the table.

"Who's winning?" Sebastien came over to the table with Chuck, standing close to the table due to the amount of people.

"We are," David smiled proudly as he stood by Jeff.

"Playing doubles?" Sebastien asked.

"Yeah," I smiled.

"You any good?" He directed at me.

"Um, pass. Sometimes, it depends. I can have off days and good days," I shrugged.

I chose my shot carefully and went to the end of the table I needed to be at.

I leant down and levelled up my shot.

"Sebastien!" A female voice called from my left.

I turned my head to see who it was and spotted Beth waving him over.

I turned to my right, still leaning over my cue and saw Sebastien nod before I turned back to the table.

I levelled my shot once more.

And then, like Pierre had done earlier, Sebastien placed his hands on my hips as he past me.

But it didn't exactly have the same neutral effect as Pierre's did.

As his hands touched my hips, a shiver and a spark shot through my body and the cue jammed forward in my hand.

The cue smacked the white ball which then shot off the table.

I didn't get to see where the ball went though because my hand that was holding the back of the cue fell and the cue rapidly slid up the side of the table and smacked me right in the middle of the forehead.

I heard a yelp of pain from someone else as the cue hit me.

"Ow! Son of a bitch!" I cried, holding my hand over my head.

I think my idiotic side is getting completely out of control...

"What the hell just happened?" Chuck spoke slowly as if he were taking it in.

"I think my toe is broken," David spoke as he bit down on his lip; trying to prevent himself from screaming in what I guessing was agony.

I ran over to David, my head pulsing.

"Are you okay? I am so sorry! Sit down and take the weight off it," I guided him over to a nearby table.

Sebastien came and sat by David.

"You alright man?" He questioned, pulling over a chair so David could put his foot up.

David nodded slightly, "Yeah, I guess,"

"Pierre could you ask the bar staff for some ice in a towel please?" I smiled and he bobbed his head before walking off.

"David you're gonna have to take off your shoe," I said as I leaned over and untied the lace of his flimsy material shoe.

"Don't I get a choice?" He chuckled slightly and I looked over at him with a smile.

"This might hurt," I warned as I eased off his shoe. He winced slightly and his knuckles turned white because of how tight he was gripping the chair.

I got his shoe off and pulled off his sock as well, holding it out to him.

He took it from me and I saw a large red mark in the middle of his foot.

I trailed my fingers over it, "Does that hurt?"

I looked over at him and he shook his head, "No, but your fingers are cold,"

I smiled, "Sorry,"

Pierre came back shortly with the ice I'd asked for.

"This is gonna be colder," I told him.

He nodded slightly and I slowly edged the ice onto his foot.

"It's not broken... Unless you're not very dramatic?" My eyebrows raised in question.

"He is," The other four boys chorused.

I looked over them all and laughed slightly as I saw David glare.

"Then you haven't broken it. I think it's just bruised," I decided, "I'm really sorry,"

"Don't worry about it,"

"I have to, I'm such an idiot,"

"We know, we've already been introduced," Pierre grinned.

I smiled at him.

"What happened anyway?" Sebastien asked, "Were my fingers cold or something?"

"It was just shock I think. I wasn't expecting you to touch me... It was just like... I dunno, I just jumped," I finalised, not intending to tell him or anyone about the experience my body just went through.

"Oh..." He mouthed, "Excuse me... Beth wants me again..." He rolled his eyes before plastering on a fake smile and walking off.

"Christ, why doesn't she just surgically attach herself to him? It's easier," I murmured in a sniping tone.

Suddenly I felt eyes on me and I looked up from David's foot.

"Did I just say that out loud?" I winced.

Chuck nodded and I shook my head.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that..." I sighed, "Yeah, I'm just gonna shut up,"

Pierre took a seat beside me and placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder, "Sometimes I think the same thing, I just don't wanna say it," He mumbled to me.

I turned to face him and half smiled.

He put his hand to his mouth, "Oops, did I just say that out loud?" He imitated me with a smirk.

"It's just silly the way she calls him over like every three seconds, I don't understand why she doesn't just say everything she wants to say when he's there, or go over to him..."

"I think she just feels the need to be in control once in a while, Sebastien is quite independent when it comes down to it," David added.

I took a deep breath, "Is it hurting less?"

"I don't know, the ice has made it numb," David replied.

"That's good, at least it won't swell,"

"You did it because you knew we were going to wipe the floor with you at pool didn't you?" He accused.

I laughed, "You'll probably still be able to kick my arse now even though you won't be able to walk properly,"

He smiled.

"I am really sorry, I swear,"

"Don't worry about it, it's not like you got away without an injury either," His eyes flickered to my forehead and so I shot my hand up to cover it.

I felt it and sighed, "Came I borrow some ice?"

David smiled and nodded, removing his ice pack from his foot and handing it to me.

I thanked him and pressed the pack to my head.

"I'm gonna have a big bruise on my head tomorrow," I complained.

"At least you'll be able to walk properly,"

"At least you can use your injury as an excuse to be waited on,"

"True," He admitted.

"Trust me mate, I think I speak for all of us when I say that none of us will be waiting on you," Jeff laughed.

"You're so nice to me," David huffed sarcastically, folding his arms.

"Aw, if it's any consolation David, I'd wait on you if I was going to see you," I spoke comfortingly.

He grinned at me, "Thank you Rachel, you can be my new best friend," He joked.

I laughed, "I think I need a drink,"

_2am_

"Don't stop me now!"

"I'm having such a good time!"

"I'm having a ball!"

"Don't stop me now!"

"If you wanna have a good time!"

"Just gimme a call!"

"Don't stop me now!"

"Cause I'm having a good time!"

"Don't stop me now!"

"Yeah, I'm having a good time; I don't wanna stop at all!"

"Guys, seriously, you need to shut the hell up, it's two o' clock in the fucking morning! People are asleep," Chuck hissed at Pierre and I.

"Shhhh!" Pierre shushed me.

"You shh! You started it!" I whispered in one of those voices that was still as loud but sounded like a whisper.

"Guys!" Chuck sniped.

"Shh!" I hushed Pierre, "Sorry Chuck," I smiled childishly as I walked a few steps behind him.

"Where are Jeff and David?" Chuck frowned as he ushered us into the car.

"Dunno," I shrugged.

Chuck sighed, "Stay there you two," He shut the door and walked off.

Pierre and I watched him go and then we looked at each other.

"I am a rocket ship on my way to Mars!" I began, dancing around in my seat.

"On a collision course, I am a satellite," Pierre continued, throwing his hand up in the rock symbol.

"I'm out of control!"

"I'm a sex machine ready to reload!" He jolted his hips forward.

"Like an atom bomb, about to oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-explode!" I giggled at Pierre's dance moves.

"We own that song," He finalised, holding up his hand.

I hi-fived him, "We do," I agreed.

"Is your head better now?" He seemed to be sobering up a little bit.

"Yeah, it's alright I guess, still aches a bit,"

"You have a big red strip down the middle of your head," He used his fingers to trail them down his own forehead to show me where the mark was.

"I look bloody cool thank you very much," I smiled proudly, posing slightly.

Pierre laughed and we hi-fived again.

"I think we should stop that, it hurts," I rubbed my hand.

"Sorry," He pouted, "We'll keep it down to only necessary hi-fives,"

"Great," I grinned, "Necessary hi-five!" I announced, holding up my hand.

He hit our palms together.

"Oww," We whined in chorus.

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

"See you later, man," I waved to Chuck as he left, dragging Jeff and David with him.

He nodded at me and left with the other two.

Soon, I felt thin fingers intertwine with mine and I squeezed Beth's hand.

"Did you have a good time?" I asked her as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Yeah, it was amazing, what about you?" She smiled.

"I had a good time," I nodded.

"Hey Seb?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know that Rachel girl?" She looked up at me.

"How do you mean know?"

"I mean have you met her before?"

"Um... Yeah I have,"

"Do you think she's an alright girl?"

"Yeah, she's a nice person," I agreed, getting a bit confused.

"Good..."

"Why good?"

"Because I think she fancies Pierre," She concluded.

I pulled back slightly, "What makes you say that?"

She locked her eyes with mine, "Couldnt you see the glances she was giving him?"

"No..."

"I really think she likes him,"

I chuckled slightly, "She barely knows him,"

"Doesn't mean she doesn't fancy him," Her eyebrows raised, "Are you ready to go then honey?"

I nodded, "Yeah sure,"

"I'll just get my bag," She kissed my cheek and walked off.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and scanned the room.

Then my eyes landed on the pool table.

And I suddenly started wondering...

Did the spark I felt shoot through my fingertips cause Rachel's big attack before?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You never know what you're gonna feel
You never see it coming, suddenly it's real
Never even crossed my mind
That I would ever end up here tonight

Zac Efron & Vanessa Anne Hudgens- Can't Take My Eyes Off You
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------