With Stars in Their Eyes

MISSING GINGERS

Over a week had passed since I saw Niko, but I decided not to burden Fred with my brother's 'happy' news. Instead, I snuck away in the towers with my favorite ginger haired boy and got lost beneath the stars. It was so easy to forget the dark matters of my life when I was with Fred and rather just bathe myself in a pure light of ecstasy. He was so happy, so carefree even in these dark days. I couldn't help but absorb some of his happiness.

We spent each night before holiday break together in the chilly towers, and I cherished every last second. During our last night, we were huddled beneath that familiar red knit blanket and discussing our holiday plans.

As he spoke, Fred twirled my gold locks between his fingers, "I wish you could come to the Burrow. My mum makes the best food and a surplus of it."

"Well, we'll still see each other over holiday, won't we? Even if it can't be at each other's homes?" I asked, unable to conceal the hopefulness in my soft voice.

My little plea caused Fred's lips to tick into a playful smirk, but instead of the cheeky answer I expected, he replied warmly, "Of course. I would miss you too much if we had to spend all that time apart. Maybe we can even sneak a quick snog in an empty compartment on the train. Hell, I'll even meet you in the lavatory."

"How romantic." I giggled while playfully nudging him in the ribs.

"Is that a yes?"

"No!" I laughed at his persistence. "But I will meet you library after breakfast. There's a corner near the Herbology section that no one is ever in."

"I'll meet you there," Fred confirmed with a kiss.

Image

During breakfast, I shoveled a few spoonfuls of scrambled eggs into my mouth and washed them down with pumpkin juice. My roommates, Adelaide and Keira, watched in disgust as some juice dribbled from the corner of my lips.

Nevertheless, I finished my meal as quickly as I could and excused myself in order to finish packing. However, instead of heading down to the dungeons, I hurried up the stairs and into the library. Though our tables were at opposite ends, I tried to spot Fred to see if he was in as big of a hurry as I was, but I couldn't seem to find him.

When I reached the library, it was empty besides a few lingering students returning books before break began. I wandered over to the Herbology section, my heart as light as a feather. However, when I turned the corner to see it empty, my shoulders slumped in disappointment.

Maybe he got a late start and was just getting down to the Great Hall. I probably shouldn't have scarfed down my food; my gurgling stomach agreed. Having no choice but to wait, I grabbed a random book and sat against the wall.

I forgot my watch in my dorm, so I had no idea exactly how long I was waiting, but it felt like hours. Madam Pince eventually found me and told me the train would be leaving soon and I best get going if I planned on making it.

Quietly, I thanked the stern faced woman and tucked the book back where it belonged. I returned to my dorm to fetch my belongings, and as I walked to the train, I pondered over why Fred had not shown up. I know he couldn't have forgotten, so I was at a lost why he didn't show.

Then suddenly, fear struck my heart.

What if someone found out? What if one of the older, crueler seventh year boys like Cassius Warrington discovered the girl his brother had his eyes on was sneaking around with a blood traitor. Cassius would hex Fred into oblivion.

My heart ached for an entirely different reason, and I grew panicked. I was standing amongst a group of Slytherins, waiting for the Hogwarts Express. As I stood, I peered into the crowd for a sign of Fred or Cassius even. I saw neither. In fact, I didn't spot either Fred or George. Would Cassius drag Fred's twin into it as well?

I wanted to scream, beg someone for help, but no one I was near would care about Fred Weasley being tortured. Some might even applaud.

From a distance, I heard the piercing whistle of the train. Students moved forward, pushing me along as they began to board. I followed the flow, my eyes desperate to spot a Weasley, any Weasley! At this point, I might even ask Harry Potter if he had seen his best friend's older brother.

I couldn't find him or anyone. Not a single Weasley, not a single glimpse of flaming hair.

"Sophia, we're over here." Keira said, opening a compartment door.

Chewing on my lip, my eyes darted around the long hall in hopes of seeing something, and finally, I did.

"I'll be right there. I'm going to go change." I mumbled quickly before sprinting down the hall.

I grabbed the boy by his arm and dragged him into an empty compartment. His round face was wide in surprise and his eyes held confusion.

"Uh, what's going on, Sophie?" Neville asked, raising a thick brow.

"Fred!" I burst out. "Have you seen him?"

"Fred...?"

"Fred Weasley!" I sighed in exasperation. "Please, Neville, have you seen him? I need… I couldn't — " I stopped mid-sentence. I had no way of explaining why on earth I would need to find Fred Weasley. "I just need to find him."

Neville pursed his plump lips together, his face softening into some emotion I couldn't place my finger on. Finally, he quietly said, "You really care about him, don't you?"

"I — I…"

What was the point denying it now? The worry was clear across my face, and Neville, though soft and simple, was not thickheaded.

"I do." I whispered. "More than I ever thought I could care about anyone."

Satisfied with my answer, Neville sat down and said, "I'm pretty sure he's with his family and Harry. Last night, I heard Harry wake up from some nightmare. Next thing I know, Harry and Ron are rushing out of the room and the rest of the Weasley's are following. I haven't seen any of them since."

"But he's safe?" I pressed.

Neville nodded, "Definitely."

I crumpled in relief, sagging into the stiff cushion. "Thank Merlin."

"You care about Fred, Sophie. I can see you how much you do." Neville murmured gently. "And you care about me, too. We've been friends for ages even though we're in rival houses, but I know you're not like the others…"

"What are you talking about, Neville?" I sighed softly. My heart was just getting back into an even rhythm, and I couldn't concentrate on much else besides the utter fear I had about Fred walking into some kind of trap because of me.

"Do you believe he's back?"

My head snapped up, chills running down through my veins. "Who's back?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

Neville answered plainly, "You-Know-Who."

Oh poor Neville. What a silly question to ask a girl who's family was one of the Dark Lord's most loyal followers. When he returned, Nikolai was there. He never told me so straightforwardly, but Niko's hints were not hard to decipher.

"I don't know what to believe, Neville." I murmured quietly.

"Believe in the rebellion, Sophie. Believe in fighting for a good cause." Neville said strongly. "Like I said, you're not like your housemates. You don't believe in what he stands for."

I didn't answer. Admitting that out loud was something I had never done before.

Neville continued, "Do you want to learn defense? Not the rubbish Umbridge spews in her class, but real defense?"

Our eyes met, and a spark ignited within me. I had my answer, I think I'd known it all along.

As my lips parted, ready to give my response, our compartment door slid open and revealed Adelaide.

Suddenly, the words were lost and I jumped from my seat. "Thanks for the Herbology notes," I told Neville before scooting Adelaide and myself out of the compartment.

As I left, Neville and I shared a quiet glance and I gave him a single nod:

Yes.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment if you're enjoying so far!