With Stars in Their Eyes

DESPERATE TIMES

Days of silence passed without a single word from Fred, and I grew increasingly anxious. He disappeared without a warning, so I hoped he would at least offer me some comfort with an owl, but no such luck.

I was back home locked away in my room. My father was at work, and my brother was attending to 'business.' Meanwhile, my mother was in the kitchens ordering our poor little house elf around in preparation of the Warrington family's visit.

My hands trembled in my lap as I stared at the folded parchment. The creases were deep as I've opened and closed the note a couple dozen times. 'Prove me wrong,' the last line of the note said in the intense scrawl.

How could I prove him anything while drowning in the deafening silence?

A crystal bottle of ink glistened in the sunlight that poured through my window. My desk was just a few feet away, and I could so easily write a quick letter. Would it seem desperate? Wasn't I anyway?

I jumped off of my bed and sat down at my desk, arming myself with my finest quill. With quick fingers, I scribbled a short note to my beloved ginger begging him to just let me know he was alright. After I finished my plea, I went to my window and whistled for our family owl, Hermes, to come deliver my letter.

It was risky using my family's owl, the owl that loved my brother most of all, to send a letter to Fred, but I didn't have any other choice.

"Fred Weasley." I murmured the name to my owl, and it stared back at me with accusing eyes. However, it took off and disappeared into the sky.

"Sophia!" My mother called from downstairs. "Clean yourself up. The Warringtons will be here any moment now!"

I sighed bitterly before getting to my feet and walking over to my floor length mirror. The carefully sculpted bronze frame held a sad girl within it. My hair was pinned up and a single braid ran across my head, and I wore a simple off white dress with long lacy sleeves. My mother picked it out in hopes of being subtle, but to me, it was just short of a wedding dress.

Nevertheless, I was an obedient daughter and shimmied into the flowing fabric. I pinched my cheeks, adding color to my pale complexion, and took a deep breath.

I just had to get through dinner. There was no promises of marriage tonight, and if I had anything to do with it, there never would be. I turned seventeen in just two months, and then I would be free.

But until that time, I had to be the dutiful daughter I was expected to be.

From outside my window, I heard four loud POPS, followed by a knock on our front door. Quickly, I left my room and descended the steps.

My mother was already there greeting the Warringtons. Mr. and Mrs. Warrington smiled politely while Cassius was all charm. Meanwhile, I spotted a handsome man with dark hair standing quietly in the back.

Our eyes met, and I felt unpleasant chills shoot up my spine.

I was so distracted by the intensity of his steely eyes that I missed the final step and began to tumble down. As if he was anticipating my blunder, Caelum hurried forward and caught me in his arms.

He pulled me close until I felt his lips against my ear. "Falling for me already," He whispered lightly.

The cheesiness of his line caused a laugh to slip from my lips before I pulled back and apologized for my clumsiness. Right on cue, my father and brother appeared in the room and the party could begin.

We all sat in our luxurious dining room and ate a savory meal of lamb and potatoes. The adults chattered about work and the Ministry while Niko and Caelum talked amongst themselves; however, Caelum often flashed me secret smirks whenever he thought Niko wasn't looking.

The small gathering was meant for Caelum and I to get more acquainted, but I barely spoke at all that evening. However, I was content with that. I listened idly to the chatter until the hours grew late and the Warringtons began to leave. Pleasantries were exchanged, but then they Disapparated.

Caelum was last to leave, and he asked me to walk with him outside. After getting silent approval from my parents, I followed him to our front yard.

"I'm sorry we barely got a chance to speak," Caelum mused with a quiet chuckle. "But I'm sure you're familiar with how these gatherings go."

"Yes," I nodded.

Caelum smiled, "You sure are a quiet little thing, aren't you?" I was suddenly very thankful for the darkness as it concealed the heat rising to my cheeks. "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Sophia. I'll be in touch."

He took my hand in his before raising it to his lips and placing a gentle kiss. Then he bid me goodbye before Disapparating.

I was about to return inside when I heard the familiar screech of Hermes. He swooped down to drop a letter in front of me. After picking it up, I saw a quick scrawl that read:

Leaky Cauldron. Tonight.
- FW


Image

I was worried my family would never retire to bed, but eventually they did, and I was able to use our fireplace to sneak out.

With a flash of green, I was suddenly standing in ashes of the fireplace at the Leaky Cauldron. I quickly stepped out and examined the room around me. There was an old wizard in the corner half asleep, his large hands curled around a mug of firewhiskey. At the other end of the room, a ragged witch was sipping some soup.

Then I saw him. He was in the middle of the room, his back to me as he sat and drank butterbeer.

"Fred," I smiled softly as I approached him from behind. He didn't move. "Fred?"

I watched him twitch slightly in his seat before turning to look up at me. My face fell as I saw the disheveled state he was in; he looked like he hadn't slept in days. His hair was tousled and there were dark circles under his eyes. Was he always so pale? I barely recognized the man in front of me.

Still, his unfamiliar appearance wasn't enough to stop me from bending down and embracing him tightly. I was hoping for his familiar warmth, but I only felt icy distance. When he didn't return my affections, I wilted slightly before sitting across from him.

"How have you been?" I asked quietly, obviously seeing there was something wrong. "I was so worried about you… we haven't spoken since that one night, and I just thought — "

"You want to know how I've been?" Fred barked in a hard voice so unlike his normal lighthearted tone. I felt so small beneath his glare, and I just wanted to apologize. For what, I wasn't sure but I needed to make things right. "I've been in hell."

I chewed on my lip before whispering nervously, "What happened?"

"My dad's at St. Mungo's clinging onto life, that's what happened." Fred snapped.

"Merlin," I inhaled sharply. "How? Why?"

"Because of you. Because of you and your family and the monsters your brother works for." Fred accused me in a vicious whisper, acid seeping into each word. "You come from a twisted family, and my dad was nearly killed because of people from your lot!"

"Fred… Fred, I'm so sorry." I frowned, my voice trembling. "I had no idea! I never would have known…"

"Save it." Fred growled. He placed a few sickles down on the table before getting to his feet. "I don't want to see you anymore. You're just like them, and I don't want any part of it."

"Wait!" I shouted, chasing after him into the dark streets of Diagon Alley. "Fred, please!" I caught his sleeve and clutched onto the fabric. "You said it yourself, I'm different!"

"I was wrong." He spat darkly, ripping his arm out of my grasp. His eyes burned holes through my soul as he glared down at me. "I want you to leave me alone, me and my family. I want nothing to do with you."

My arm crumbled to my side, and I took a step back. In a voice I barely recognized as my own, I pleaded quietly, "Please… don't do this."

For the slightest second, I saw a glimpse of the ginger boy I knew in the towers. The unyielding mask cracked, and I watched his face twist in pain as if he was truly considering my words.

However, with a loud POP, he disappeared into the night.

I was alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
</3